entries that can't be deleted

General discussions about the technical aspects of the site -- generating reports, reading reports, uploading information, forum techniques, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Lucy

the Ol'Line Rebel
Maiden Special Weight

entries that can't be deleted

Postby the Ol'Line Rebel » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:43 am

Hi again, this time it's the mother of my last request:

http://www.pedigreequery.com/scheherezade+iii

There is already an entry for SCHEHEREZADE, no III, who accounts for everything.

The "SCHEHEREZADE III" entry is another example of an entry that simply cannot be deleted for reasons unknown (as a mere user). Watch what happens when you try to delete her.

Everything comes up as normal, except THERE'S NO HORSE TO PICK TO DELETE, and even if you go ahead and push the button to continue, it still acts as if everything is fine, but THERE'S NO HORSE NAME WHERE IT SAYS THE HORSE HAS BEEN DELETED. Hence, in reality, the horse 1 typed was not actually deleted.

Bottom line, it would be nice if the "duplicate" SCHEHEREZADE III is deleted, but I can't do it.

General query is, why do some horses not show at all on the delete function when asking to delete, and thus cannot be deleted?

Lucy

Postby Lucy » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:19 pm

Nine times out of ten, when a horse that isn't locked and has no progeny can't be deleted, it means there's a spacing issue. The delete function is space-sensitive, and if there's a space at the end of a horse's name (which the DB isn't supposed to recognize, but they sometimes glitch their way in :roll: ), you need to add that before the entry can be deleted.

If you check the URL at the bottom of the pedigree page, the '+' symbol stands for a space. If there's one at the end of the name, there's your problem. :)

Of course, that wasn't the case here. :wink: Don't know why she wasn't coming up as deletable, but after I edited out her parents I was able to zap her.