Unable to change many horses at all

General discussions about the technical aspects of the site -- generating reports, reading reports, uploading information, forum techniques, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Lucy

the Ol'Line Rebel
Maiden Special Weight

Unable to change many horses at all

Postby the Ol'Line Rebel » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:07 am

Hi again!

I've noticed today and several times in the recent past, I run across a spate of horses which refuse to update. I get the message:

"Sorry, the record of the horse you are trying to edit has been locked and can't be changed. Please contact site administrators if you feel there is some information that needs to be added or is incorrect with this horse."

I can't believe all these horses are locked. Basically, they're modern-era European classic winners. Not all of them are "legends", for sure; some are quite obscure otherwise. I cannot believe these obscure horses of not long ago are locked up.

I'm suspecting there's some problem with the database that is periodically giving this "error". It seems to happen with a spate of horses I'm updating all in a row in a short time (lists of winners, etc.). Then a whole bunch of horses I can change. It seems somewhat intermittent, so I think it's a DB hiccup.

Any idea about something like this happening within the last month?

Lucy

Postby Lucy » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:34 pm

No, they're really locked. Classic winners are prone to malicious tampering, you'll find many of them locked down for that reason. It seems intermittent because each one needs to be individually locked by a member of the research group, you can't just lock a list of race winners en masse.

A recent development is that horses with locked pedigrees can not have their additional info changed, either. That may be why you are noticing it more often.

If you need something changed or added to a locked horse, feel free to PM me. :)

the Ol'Line Rebel
Maiden Special Weight

Postby the Ol'Line Rebel » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:12 am

If I may say: this is ridiculous.

So classic horses will have varying degrees of info, and you just can't add anything. Useful things such as official names using nubered suffixes, owner's names, even career records, are no longer easy to put in. Never mind interesting tidbits of info.

And I used to get irritated that several of the most ancient horses were locked up!

Thanks for telling me Lucy, and for the offer. If I'm really dying for it I'll ask help, but I'm not going to bother with so many locked out.

Sam
Chef de Race: Intermediate

Postby Sam » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:10 pm

the Ol'Line Rebel wrote:So classic horses will have varying degrees of info, and you just can't add anything. Useful things such as official names using nubered suffixes, owner's names, even career records, are no longer easy to put in. Never mind interesting tidbits of info.

Right now we've been having a lot of problems with a particular jerk who just can't leave horses alone. I've lost count of the number of times I've corrected Invasor, Discreet Cat, Bernardini and a host of others over the last 3 months. I put stakes info in as Lucy has asked me to do it and within hours, it's been rewritten or deleted outright. There's enough legitimate errors that need to be dealt with, it's a waste of time to keep correcting something that shouldn't even need to be touched just because one person has a bug up their butt and doesn't want to do it right.