Horse with WRONG name???

General discussions about the technical aspects of the site -- generating reports, reading reports, uploading information, forum techniques, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Lucy

the Ol'Line Rebel
Maiden Special Weight

Horse with WRONG name???

Postby the Ol'Line Rebel » Wed May 09, 2007 6:00 am

Hi Lucy (or anyone),

I ran across this horse called "Silver Dollar" when I suspected he may actually be in my reference as "Silver Moon".

http://www.pedigreequery.com/silver+dollar3

Note the old comment: "correct name is Silver Moon".

Unfortunately, the horse has enough offspring to prevent easy change.

As it is, that comment makes me think the horse entry is just flat-out WRONG. Can someone investigate? If it's WRONG, my inclination would be delete the entry and replace it with SILVER MOON. The # of offspring prevent that action (for me, unless I do it brute-force method).

I can add a "Silver Moon" for now and direct readers to "Silver Dollar" for offspring info, but I really don't want to retain "Silver Dollar" if that name is just plain wrong as implied by that comment.

(This isn't the same as multiple-name horses, who DID have many names or at least were known by many names, in which case I just make multiple entries with 1 focal point. If this horse's name is just wrong and mistaken, that's a whole different thing.)

Lucy

Postby Lucy » Wed May 09, 2007 5:56 pm

Oh, I see what happened.

The horse was foaled in England, originally registered & raced as 'Silver Moon'. Upon retirement, he was exported to Peru and re-named 'Silver Dollar'. To make things even more interesting, North American studbooks consider him 'Silver Moon II'. :shock:

Generally, the rule of thumb is to use the name under which the horse stood as a stallion. His offspring show up in Equineline under Silver Moon, but I'm going to try and search up some South American records to see if they do likewise. If they do, I'll make a new entry & switch the foals over.

In the meantime, I left a new comment that may be less confusing. :wink:

the Ol'Line Rebel
Maiden Special Weight

Postby the Ol'Line Rebel » Fri May 11, 2007 10:29 am

Sorry I've been so long.

If it's just an ALTERNATE name, that's fine. I like to add all the names and direct people to the 1 used for offspring.

I was concerned "Dollar" was a totally bogus name, thanks to a comment saying "CORRECT name is Silver Moon"....

I would just add "Silver Moon" (duly noting registry as II) and direct people to the Dollar for offspring.

Lucy

Postby Lucy » Fri May 11, 2007 4:21 pm

Another entry named Silver Moon will just get red-flagged as a duplicate entry, and probably deleted - or worse, inspire some well-intentioned person to delete Silver Dollar and his descendants. Since there's no way to safely remove an entry from the duplicate list, as there is for the errors list, it's safer to leave one entry per horse and use the comment field for alt-names.

Of course, the best solution would be an alt-name search, but this DB doesn't seem set up to accomidate one (I'm not part of the tech staff, though, so don't quote me on that).

I started checking on Silver Dollar the night you first posted, but was away last night. Hopefully this weekend I'll find something conclusive, one way or the other. :roll: