QUESTION: What constitutes "Black Type" for this

General discussions about the technical aspects of the site -- generating reports, reading reports, uploading information, forum techniques, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Lucy

jellac
Grade I Winner

QUESTION: What constitutes "Black Type" for this

Postby jellac » Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:50 pm

I try to update the db as to any Tx-bred TBs that have finished 3rd or better as to their earnings, Number of Starts/W-P-S, color, age, breeding (if not already in the DB) and sometimes owner, breeder.

One question I have is whether or not to choose "Yes" where the db form asks "Is this horse Black Type?" when that horse has won a "Stakes Race" w/ value in excess of $100,000 but restricted for Texas-Bred designated Tbs....or for the offspring of certain Texas based nominated stallions?

What if it's a so-called stakes race = open = but with a top purse of $45,000?

I don't want to be entering 'bad' data - but I do want to do what I can to keep the data on better performing Texas bred TBs up to date.

the Ol'Line Rebel
Maiden Special Weight

Postby the Ol'Line Rebel » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:50 pm

Black type is a nebulous designation. They seem to change the requirements all the time (after all, inflation is constantly occurring, with occasional deflation too!). I would suggest you try to find the rules somewhere that are current.

It's even worse since I discovered the horse doesn't have to WIN, but just "place" in such a race.

As a result, black type is becoming almost meaningless to me!

My own general rule is that the horse placed in what you KNOW is/was an very important race, and better yet, if it's graded. If I don't know the details, I rather leave the horse unmarked as "non black-type" and let someone else change the radio buttons!

Lucy

Postby Lucy » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:10 pm

Currently, the designation for 'black type' is having finished in the top three of a race worth $45,000 or more (regardless of restrictions). Obviously, the minumum purse has gone up over the years, but once a horse has earned black type, it keeps it, even if the race it won eventually loses its value.

While all black type earning horses show up in catalogs, etc. in bold type, most will differentiate the stakes winners from the merely stakes-placed horses by having the winners' named spelled out in all capital letters.

This database is different, as there is no difference between the black type for those who won or placed. The names in bold type are those that have won Grade/Group 1 races, or pre-grading era horses who won Classics or Championships.

Hope that helps. :) Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.