Adding foals to the database

General discussions about the technical aspects of the site -- generating reports, reading reports, uploading information, forum techniques, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Lucy

Derby Lyn
Restricted Stakes Winner

Adding foals to the database

Postby Derby Lyn » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:29 pm

I was just wondering if foals that did not survive are suppose to be added to the data base. I had a foal last year that did not make it. I would think not, but I wasn't sure.
Also for my previous stallion Arctic Cielo, there are 2 2008 fillies listed on the database. He has not had any 2008 foals on the ground yet. I was under the assumption we weren't suppose to add unborn foals. I am not sure if those were mares that he bred last year even.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:50 pm

To my knowledge, the only horses that belong in this database are ones who were named.

Non-members will sometimes create phony foals to create a hypo mating - they SHOULD delete them but oftentimes don't.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Sam
Chef de Race: Intermediate

Postby Sam » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:15 pm

The general rule is don't add a horse until it's been named/registered and even then, that's kind of a pain because people will name their foals as weanlings/yearlings then sell them and the horse gets a name change -- which someone will add without bothering to take out the duplicate.

I tend not to enter any horse in the database until after Feb 1st of its 2yo year. About 4 times a year I go through and delete a dozen or so variants of "Unnamed."

Unborn foals don't belong in the system at all -- for obvious reasons.

You could put a note in the dam's file that she had an unnamed foal that died, but honestly, I don't see how that's important information as it would pertain to any research done from here. Anyone looking to buy the mare and who wants to check her production record should spend the money for a report from the Jockey Club.