Back to Pedigree Query
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:07 pm 
Maiden Special Weight

Hi,

I just noticed something, and will get back to you if it's "verified" by happening again with another horse.

I went to enter a horse whose name already exists in the DB. Apparently, 1 of the successive name designations was deleted at some point, leaving a "blank" in the middle of the name list to fill. I noticed some 10 horse names already there. When I went to add a new horse of that same name, he would become #4 (because of that apparent deletion), but here's the weird part.

When I entered the basic info for new horse and "entered" to the next screen, it showed me only 3 horses to ensure aren't the same - instead of 10! Apparently, since the DB meant to fill spot #4 which had been left blank, it thinks at that stage that only 4-1 = 3 spots exist! So it showed only horses 1(unnumbered), 2 and 3, rather than including ALL horses of that name!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:13 am 
Breeder's Cup Winner

The db automatically assigns any and all new entries to the first available vacant "slot" for that name and yes, the only other entries for that name that will be displayed during the process are those in lower numeric sequence. Since this can and does sometimes result in duplicate entries, it's best to run a basic search on the name as well as progeny reports for sire & dam before making new entries.