Two tech issues re. female families

General discussions about the technical aspects of the site -- generating reports, reading reports, uploading information, forum techniques, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Lucy

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Two tech issues re. female families

Postby Pan Zareta » Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:18 am

1) I've entered ~50 new names in the past several days. Info is coming straight from the APR. When I pull up a sire's progeny report those names are showing up, but there's nothing in the female family field.

2) When compiling a female family report any names included therein that are not unique appear to be default linked to [Name]1 from the database, even though the info shown on the ff report page is correct. For example, ff reports that include Keen2(1981, Sharpen Up), Keen 3(1966, Money Broker), or Keen4(1986, Grandeza) all link to Keen1(1977, Wing Out).

Lucy

Postby Lucy » Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:37 pm

On the first one.....how long ago did you enter them? I had noticed that about some horses I added last week, but I just went and looked again and the family numbers were all there. Your guess is as good as mine as to why (maybe part of the update function isn't running as often?). But give them another peek in a couple days and see what happens.

The second one's just plain weird, though. :roll: Still, I'm glad you used that example, 'cause otherwise I'd not have noticed that someone put 'Keen' in under his show name (as opposed to his registered name) - again! :::sigh::: :?

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:28 pm

Everything I've entered has been in the last 5 days or so. Hopefully the ff designations will show up eventually.

You know Willoughby/Keen? He's how I realized that the links on the ff report were defaulting to [Name]1. My father-in-law used his 3rd damsire (Tetros) for several TB(running) & QH(working) breedings & had mares of both 'persuasions' from that same ff A9. Most of what I've been putting in the db recently are descendants of Tetros & his full sister Gray Porte.

Lucy

Postby Lucy » Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:11 pm

I rode dressage through college, so yeah, I'm a big fan of ol' Keen. ;) Him & Rembrandt are probably my all-time favorite dressage horses.

He's been re-entered under Willoughby - someone keeps deleting that and re-entering him as Keen. Show names are a can of worms this site can't open if it wants to keep any semblance of accuracy, so I keep switching it back. Touch Of Class (JC name Stillaspill) is another that keeps popping up.

That's cool about Tetros...didn't know he sired QH. :)

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:47 pm

FF designations are now showing up on everthing I've entered except what I've done in the past 24-48 hrs, so obviously you're right that part of the update function isn't running daily.

I don't know who keeps changing Willoughby to Keen, but I've corrected it a few times myself, the last beeing ~2 weeks ago. Someone is determined that he stay in there under his show name & they apparently check pretty often, cause he'd been changed back to Keen when I first posted here.

There are a couple of noteable TB/DWB cross dressage horses that trail back to Tetros' sister Gray Porte.

Rocket Bar over Tetros produced race winners in QH and TB. Not spectacular MGSWs, but some durable runners able to handle many starts & retire sound. Voo Doo Rocket's in the allbreed. Don't think I've entered any of the TBs yet.

Our latest Tetros descendant is a 3yo appdx filly pointed toward a little jumping & some light ranch work when I'm pressed into that service. Her 2nd dam, retired now at 25, was my main ride for the better part of the past 20 yrs. This 3yo is the first in her tail female line to NOT get the gray gene since her 5th dam was bred to Tetros in '37. :shock: Her 4th dam had a dau. "Lucy" :wink: who greyed out as flamboyantly as The Tetrarch.

PZ

Sam
Chef de Race: Intermediate

Postby Sam » Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:16 pm

Pan Zareta wrote:I don't know who keeps changing Willoughby to Keen, but I've corrected it a few times myself, the last beeing ~2 weeks ago. Someone is determined that he stay in there under his show name & they apparently check pretty often, cause he'd been changed back to Keen when I first posted here.

It's probably the same clown who keeps going in, deleting some information and rewriting other. Apparently, the way the APR records information is "Wrong" and this clown keeps changing it.

milesm
2yo Maiden

Postby milesm » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:05 am

The female family designations are updated/calculated once a month...at 1:30AM on the 21st of every month to be exact. In the normal pedigree displays, it's not important because the numbers show up as long as the family of the 5th dam is known. It just takes a while to calculate them for 1.3 million horses so I only do it occasionally.

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:51 pm

milesm wrote: It just takes a while to calculate them for 1.3 million horses

:shock:
I'll bet that does take a while......and not that you probably don't have more than enough to do.....but if and when convenient, could you add the following classifications to those available for the female family field - a59, a62, a66, a82, a84, a85, a86, a87, a88? I've already added dams named "American Family ____ ____" (number in alpha) at the taproot of each line. These are Chris' (Matthes) classifications - a59,62,66 were done some time ago. The rest are recent. (There's an obvious error by dates at the mare by *Citizen in a86, & that line may belong to another family, but pending further research it's been given its own classification.)

TIA & Welcome Back! :D

milesm
2yo Maiden

Postby milesm » Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:48 pm

Will do...and since tommorrow is the 21st, it'll work out pretty good

milesm
2yo Maiden

Postby milesm » Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:55 pm

BTW, short tip on these taproot mares. You can end the line by making the parents the '#' character. That'll let the database know that it's the end of the line and there's nothing else afterwards.