Stallion Suggestions?

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

Kristie
Maiden Special Weight

Stallion Suggestions?

Postby Kristie » Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:27 am

I'm looking for breeding recommendations on 2 mares. Happy Result by Diesis and Only for You by Cure the Blues. Breeding to race, stud fees up to $10,000. Have my own ideas, but I'm still in "pre-school" so far as pedigree match-ups and would like to see how far offbase I am. Thanks in advance

llbean
Grade III Winner

Postby llbean » Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:26 pm

Hi Kristie,

I really like the pedigree match-up between Only For You (Cure The Blues) and Canadian Frontier (10,000, Airdrie Stud). Not only does it give you the same Gone West/Cure The Blues cross as Eclipse Champion Sprinter Cajun Beat. It also gives you the cross of Seattle Slew and Cure The Blues (who shared Hail To Reason and Bold Ruler with Seattle Slew's sire Bold Reasoning) found in the G2W and successful American sire American Chance, the MG3W and 2004 Champion Argentenian Freshmen Sire Incurable Optimist, and the Pimlico Special (GI) Winner Golden Missile.

And, the 2nd damsire of Only You is by none other than Sir Ivor, whose pedigree parrallels that of Gone West's dam Secrettame in a very important way (see here: http://www.pedigreepost.com/archives/Go ... entura.htm ) and Gone West and Sir Ivor have combined in none other than the famous Elusive Quality and Xaar, a Champion 2YO Colt in France and a Champion 3YO in France, England, and Ireland (That's no small thing!).

The hypo also gives you background strains of Ambiriox and his relative My Babu. And the kind of linebreeding where Northern Dancer is linebred to through his son Nureyev and daughter Royal Statute has already worked as Canadian Frontier's 2nd damsire Nureyev and Only You's 3rd dam Royal Statute have combined in Premio Roma (ITY-GI) Winner Sunstrach.

-llbean

SilverGhost
Suckling

Kristie

Postby SilverGhost » Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:53 pm

Kristie,

Have you ever been to www.ThoroughbredReview.com ? Take a look and see what you think. Their breeding consultations are amazingly comprehensive.

Kristie
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Kristie » Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:40 am

Thanks. Anyone else? What about the Diesis mare?

Keith
Grade III Winner

Several stud I would consider.

Postby Keith » Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:02 pm

Hi Kristie,

First of all what has Cure the Blues done as a broodmare sire? Golden Missile is by A.P. Indy-Santa Catalina by Cure the Blues and he won $2,194,510 and he is line bred on Imperatrice 5x5, Somethingroyal 4x6, and line bred on Bold Ruler 4x5x5x5. He is also line bred on Hail to Reason 4x5 and Tom Fool 5x5. Another horse out of a Cure the Blues mare is Cajun Beat who is by Grand Slam-Becky's Shirt by Cure the Blues. He made $1,159, 100 and the Breeder's Cup Sprint. He is line bred Bold Ruler 5x5x5 and Turn-to 4x5. Grundlefoot is by Unaccounted For-Melancholy Blues by Cure the Blues. He won the Baltimore Breeder's Cup and made $730,834. Weekend Madness is by Dance of Life-Spring Break by Cure the Blues. Her second dam is April Run. She is line bred First Feather 3x4,Turn-to 5x5 and Rough-n-Tumble 5x5. She won $660,744 and the Saratoga Breeder's Cup S., and the Keeneland Breeder's Cup S. Luazur (Fr) is by Bikala-Luna Blue by Cure the Blues. He won the Del Mar Invitational H. and was 3rd in the Breeder's Cup Turf.
Panama City is by El Gran Senor-Obeah(Ire) by Cure the Blues and he made $510,201 and won the Mac Diarmida H. He is line bred Tom Fool 4x5
Case of the Blues is by In Case-Musical Cure by Cure the Blues and he made $499,621 He is line bred Bold Ruler 5x5x5, Rough n' Tumble 5x5 and Imperatrice 5x6. Cure the Blues seems to line breed well on Bold Ruler and especially blood that contains Secretariat. In Reality also goes well with Cure the Blues because a few of the horses mentioned contain some In Reality. El Gran Senor seems to mix with the bloodlines. I would consider sons of Storm Cat, Gone West, and A.P. Indy. Where your mare contains Sir Ivor I would consider line breeding on Tom Fool where his sire is by Menow who is out of the legendary Alcibiades who is the 4th dam of Sir Ivor. Also with Sir Ivor being by Sir Gaylord I would consider blood that contains Secretariat who also goes back to Imperatrice whom Cure the Blues also taces back to in his bloodlines.

1. Honor Glide by Honor Grades-Becky Branch by Run the Gantlet. With Only For You you would get 5x6x7 Somethingroyal and 5x6x7x7 Imperatrice. Also you would be line breeding Northern Dancer 4x4, Bold Ruler 5x5, Ribot 5x5. It would be a similar cross as Weekend Madness. Honor Glide's dam is a sister to April Run who is the 2nd dam of Weekend Madness He is a multiple Grade I winner and his stud fee is $4,000.

2. WhyWhyWhy by Mr. Greeley-Thorough Fair by Quiet American. He is a Grade I winner standing for $7500. It is a Gone West cross similar to Cajun Beat. With Only For You you would get 5x5x6x6 Bold Ruler, 4x5x6 Dr. Fager, 6x6 Somethingroyal, 5x7x7 Imperatrice, 5x6 Ribot, 4x5 Mr. Prospector,and 5x5x6 Raise a Native.

3. A.P. Jet by Fappiano-Taminette by In Reality. He is standing for $5,000 and sire of Derby contender Galloping Grocer. This would be a Mr. Prospector line cross which produced Cajun Beat a son of Grand Slam. A.P. Jet and Gone West have the same 2nd dams. Gone West is by Mr. Prospector and A.P. Jet is by Fappiano a son of Mr. Prospector. Crossed with A.P. Jet you would get 4x4 Dr. Fager, 5x5x5 Rough'n Tumble , 4x5 Raise a Native, and 5x5 Tom Fool.

4. Gimmeawink by Elusive Quality-Miss Alethia by T.V. Commercial He made $531,090 and is standing for $4,000 Only For You crossed with this stud would give a 6x6 on Somethingroyal, 4x6 Your Hostess, 4x5 Sir Ivor, 5x5 Northern Dancer, and 5x5 Raise a Native.

5. Vision and Verse by Storm Cat-Buntin by Private Account. He made $1,030,330 and was 2nd in the Belmont S defeating Charismatic. Two horses that crossed well out of Cure the Blues mares was Grundlefoot wh is by Unaccounted For a son of Private Account, and Case of the Blues a son of In Case a son of Storm Cat. Crossed with Vision and Verse you would get 4x4 Bebopper, 5x6 Somethingroyal, 5x5 Bold Ruler and 5x5x6 Tom Fool, and 4x5 Northern Dancer. He is standing for $7,500

6. Jump Start by A.P. Indy-Steady Cat by Storm Cat He won the Gr. II Saratoga Special and is standing for $10,000. This would be a similar cross to Golden Missile. Crossing Only For You with Jump Start would give you 5x5x6x6 Bold Ruler, 4x5 Secretariat, 5x6x6 Somethingroyal, 5x6x6 Tom Fool,5x5 Northern Dancer, 5x5 Buckpasser, and 5x5 Raise a Native.

7. Perfect Soul by Sadler's Well- Ball Chairman by Secretariat. Grade I stakes winner of $1,527,764 standing for $7500 Crossed with Perfect Soul you would get 4x6 Somethingroyal, 3x5 Northern Dancer, 5x5 Raise a Native,4x5 Bold Ruler,4x5 hail to Reason.

What has Diesis mares crossed with Dr. More is by Danehill-Chinese Justice by Diesis He earned $1,595,251. Of course you mare produced stakes winner Happy Dancer who is by Seattle Dancer who is also form the Northern Dancer line being by Nijinsky II. Cetewayo is by His Majesty-Aleta Maria by Diesis and he is a multiple Grade I stakes winner who made $1,170,258. Manndar is another multiple Grade I stakes winner who made $1,128,810. He is by Doyoun-Madiriya by Diesis. He is a grandson of Mill Reef. Senure is another Grade I winner who made $764,138 He is by Nureyev-Diese by Diesis. Lager is by Pleasant Tap-Ghislaine by Diesis He is a multiple Grade III stakes winner. With this mare I would consider.

1. Albert the Great by Go For Gin-Bright Feather by Fappiano. He made $3,012,490 and he is from the his Majesty sire line standing for $10,000. Since you mare is line bred this should be a good cross. Lager and Cetawayo is from the His Majesty sire line.

2. Honor Glide by Honor Grades-Becky Branch by Run the Gantlet. Multiple Grade I stakes winner standing for $4,000. This would be a similar cross to Dr. More who is by Danehill who is by Danzig the sire of Honor Grades. With this cross you would get 5x5 Somethingroyal and 5x6x6 Imperatrice, and 6x6 Hildene.

3. Hap by Theatrical-Committed by Hagley. he made $1,329,210 and is standing for $5,000 this would also be the same cross as Senure who is by Nureyev the sire of Theatrical. You would get 5x5 Hill Prince.

4. Forbidden Apple by Pleasant Colony-North of Eden by Northfields Grade I winner of $1,680,640 standing for $5,000 You would get 4x5 Hail to Reason. This is a His Majesty line cross similar to Cetewayo and Lager.

5. Perfect Soul by Sadler's Wells-Ball Chairman by Secretariat. Grade I stakes winner of $1,527,764 standing for $7,500 crossed with this stud you would get 4x5 Somethingroyal and 5x5x6 Imperartrice. Sadler's Wells is a 3/4 brother to Nureyev and the sire of El Prado. This could be a nice cross for your mare.

I would also consider sons of Storm Cat because he is from the Northern Dancer sire line and you could line breed on Somethingroyal.

Keith

KAL
Starters Handicap

Postby KAL » Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:56 am

BREEDING TO RACE... indicates, or should indicate a sire who can get a horse to the track and the winners circle, not an unproven sire who has gotten nothing to the track... and even worse, not to a sire who doesn't even have foals yet.

Of the stallions listed to this point in this thread, there are only 2 maybe 3 who, I feel, have a slight ghost of a chance to make it as stallions in the future, (and, even those 2 I wouldn't consider good candidates for a breed to race mating).

I love Airdrie, but I cannot swallow Canadian Frontier... for any reason. (on the other hand, his brother, who is with M. Dickinson, at least looks the part, if he would only get and stay sound).

Keith and llbean make some very interesting points which you should consider, however neither has provided you with breed-to-race stallions. Consider what they have said, consider your girl's conformation, then look at a different group of stallions.

I don't have time to look at the pedigrees in-depth, however I will list some of the acknowledged breed-to-race favorites. Also, keep in mind that conformational matches are every bit as important, perhaps more so, than pedigree matings, especially when breeding to race.

Airdrie does have a stellar "breed to race" stallion in Slew City Slew. The Slew City Slews are tough as nails, will run on anything, and can be handfuls.

The recent drop in fee of Crafty Prospector puts him in your price range. While his production has fallen off with age, his numbers are still impressive. He does, however, need the right kind of mare from a conformation standpoint and fertility is becoming more and more of an issue.

You may be able to get to Runaway Groom for that price. He does a good job of getting solid, if not spectacular, runners.

While overall one has to question the quality of his foals, Devil His Due certainly has done well with what he has gotten. I think the success will probably continue and the quality increased over the next few years.

I am not sure where they draw the line with Glitterman, but he gets his share of tough runners.

Cryptoclearance does an amazing job, especially considering how the commercial market shuns them.

Tough old Out of Place is good for a winner or two and may be the best choice left at Claiborne for a breed-to-race.

Jade Hunter falls into this price range, but you have to be extra careful with conformation when considering him.

Marquetry has gotten solid horses and even some great ones, and should be a grand value at his new fee.

Pine Bluff has fallen completely off the radar, his foals don't sell, he isn't the most correct critter, nor are his foals, usually, but they still seem to be making it to the track and getting into the winners circle.

Heck, I even like Mutakddim as a breed-to-race and his fee fits nicely.

Of course, I think it a real shame that two of my favorite old greys, Silver Ghost and With Approval don't get more respect. In many, many ways they are nothing alike, however in one important way they are similar... they get runners and usually quality individuals.

And, I don't think any conversation concerning breed-to-race would be complete without mentioning Pleasant Tap.

There is an agent in VA who could provide you far more and superior attention, assistance, and guidance than you can expect to find here. PM me if you wish the name and contact info.

Good luck!

Keith
Grade III Winner

If you want a proven stallion there are a few consider.

Postby Keith » Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:15 pm

There are many other stallions in your price range I would also consider. Grindstone is proven and offers value but one thing to consider is that his big horse Birdstone is out of a great mare in Dear Birdie. There alot of stallions that never get to breed to a mare the caliber of Dear Birdie. That is the reason I like Birdstone better than Grindstone because Birdstone is out of a better mare and he won Grade I races as a two and three year old and Birdstone did beat Smarty Jones in the Belmont S. Yes Grindstone is proven but in the long run will he be the better stud of the two especially since Birdstone will probably attract better mares as he the new horse that will attract attention. Birdstone and Grindstone both stand for $10,000. If you want to breed to a stallion that stands for less from these bloodlines from the same sire then there is Ommadon who won the Nashua S.-Gr.III and was 2nd in the Remsen S. He is standing for $3,000.
If you want to consider bloodlines of Grand Slam then there are several stallions from this bloodline. Alke is by Grand Slam-Pasampsi by Crow. He won $619,385 and won the Gr. III Deputy Minister H. over Breeder's Cup Sprint winner Cajun Beat. Alke is standing for $4,000. If you want a reasonable stud fee from these bloodlines then there is Leestown who is by Seattle Slew-Bright Candles by El Gran Senor. His stud fee is $2500 and has sired 3 stakes winners from two crops.
If you are considering bloodlines of Dixieland Band there ares several studs to consider like Citidancer who is a half brother to two Grade I winners and the sire of two Grade I winners. He is standing for $7500 and is the sire of Derby contender Park Avenue Ball. Bowman's Band an unproven stallion offers value at $6,000. He is by Dixieland band-Hometown Queen by Pleasant Colony. He could make a nice cross with your Happy Result where he is line bred Northern Dancer and contains blood of His Majesty. He is a full brother to the dam of Pollard's Vision. He is out of a half sister to the dam of Sightseek and Tates Creek. He also comes from the family of Winning Colors and Chief's Crown since his 4th dam is the legendary Miss Carmie. He won the Meadowlands Cup defeating Dynever and Volponi. He was 2nd to Pico Central by 3/4 length in the Metropolitan H. He was 3rd to Ghostzapper and Saint Liam in the Woodward S. He has ran against some great horses and offers value at $6,000. Jazz Club is also well bred being by Dixieland Band-Hidden Garden by Mr. Prospector. He is a multiple grade III stakes winner out of a 1/2 brother to the dam of Fusaichi Samurai and from the family of Mineshaft. He offers value at $3500.
There are many way you can go with go with your mares. I hope you the best of luck in whoever you breed your mares to.

Keith
Last edited by Keith on Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Keith
Grade III Winner

There is nothing wrong with getting free information.

Postby Keith » Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:16 pm

There is nothing wrong with getting information from this forum. The more information and advice that you can get can be very helpful in selecting whoever you choose to breed your mares to this year. I encourage anyone to get professional advice because the more information you can get can always help. You never know how an unproven stud will do and that is what makes it fun. Saint Ballado started out at a very reasonable price and look how many people lost on Devil's Bag who is a full brother when he was syndicated for such a ridiculous price. Conquistador Cielo who is another horse who was syndicated for an unbelievable price and he wasn't one of Mr. Prospector's best sons at stud. Do Smarty Jones,Mineshaft, and Empire Maker merit a $100,000 stud fee? I do not think any unproven stud merits such a high stud fee because they do not all pan out like Fusaichi Pegasus.

Keith

SemparQuel
Maiden Special Weight

Postby SemparQuel » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:02 am

Vision and Verse for Happy Result !!!

Kristie
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Kristie » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:34 am

Lots of suggestions - lots of homework to work through! Would prefer to stay away from unproven stallions at this point. What about Judge T C? Particularly with Only For You? That brings in Turn-To 5x6x5x5, Imperatrice 5x6 and Something Royal 6x4 and adds In Reality through Judge Smells. With Happy Result you'd get Turn To 5x5x5x6, Imperatrice 6x5x5 and Something Royal 4x5. Thoughts on this mating?

Keith
Grade III Winner

Proven studs to consider breeding

Postby Keith » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:08 pm

Hi!

With Only For You I would seriously consider Dance Master. He is by Gone West-Nijinsky's Lover by Nijinsky II. Cajun Beat is by Grand Slam who is by Gone West. With this cross you would get 4x4x5 Raise a Native, 5x5 Bold Ruler, 4x5 Northern Dancer, 5x6 Somethingroyal. It may be a gamble line breeding on so much Raise a Native. He is standing at a very reasonable price of $3500. He is the sire of Flamenco who has won the Cowdin S., Victoria S.,Jack Price Juvenile S., and was 2nd in the Sanford S., and 3rd in the Hopeful S. He is a young stud and if foals go on to run good a three he could well be worth the $3500. One of his foals topped the Ocala 2-year-olds in Training at Calder bringing $600,000.
With Happy Result I would lean toward a Norther Dancer line stud where her stakes winner was by Seattle Dancer and Diesis mares tend to cross well with Northern Dancer line studs. I would seriously consider Lion Hearted who is by Storm Cat-Cadillacing by Alydar. He has sired 3 stakes winners in his 1st crop. It would give you a 5x5 cross on Somethingroyal, 5x5 cross on Tom Fool. He is standing for $5,000.

They are both young studs that are proven with potential.

Keith

Derby2004
Starters Handicap

Postby Derby2004 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:44 pm

Hi, Dance Master and Lion Hearted are both booked

Keith
Grade III Winner

I would consider Good and Tough

Postby Keith » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:16 pm

Hi!

I would look at Good and Tough because he may be a nice stud to breed your mare Only For You. He is from the Mr. Prospector line as Cajun Beat is from the Mr. Prospector sire line. Good and Tough has a nice mare running named Maddalena who is 3 for 3 and won the Old Hat S.-Gr. III. He is also the sire of stakes winner Tough Pilgrim. Good and Tough is standing for $6,000 in New York and is throwing some nice runners in his 1st two crops. Another horse I would also look at is Slew City Slew because he is proven and offers great value at $5,000. Golden Missile is from the Seattle Slew line and out of a Cure the Blues mare. Another horse to look at from the Mr. Prospector line that is proven and may make a nice cross is Silver Ghost standing for $7500. He is the sire of 44 stakes winners and Stop the Music mares have crossed well with him including graded stakes winners Silver Music and Musical Ghost.
A nice stud that throws nices runners is Lost Soldier and he could cross well on both of your mares. Stakes winner Chatter Chatter is by Lost Soldier and out of a Cure the Blues mare. He is by Danzig-Lady Winborne by Secretariat. Lost in the Fog a son of Lost Soldier is doing really well this year. His stud fee is $7500.

Keith

roving boy
Allowance Winner

Postby roving boy » Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:55 am

Breeding to race implies that you do not care about fashion....therefore use a proven stallion as KAL suggests. It is ironic how fashion avoids most older proven stallions in favor of the unproven - our industry is truly built on dreams.

In addition to the stallions mentioned by KAL (all of which I agree with) you may want to consider Matty G. He started at the very bottom and yet has an amazing 4% Graded Stakes Winners from Foals - read that again and let it sink in, that is an incredible statistic. His first KY bred foals are 2 year olds of 2005. He shows a great affinity for Mr. P and Raise A Native (like his sire and grandsire) which may or may not help with your mares (I have not looked at their pedigrees).

Best of luck.
Roving Boy