Back to Pedigree Query
It is currently Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:26 am 

I've got this tough gritty filly Stormy Memo, and while I always call her "little Stormy Memo" she is really about 15.3-1/2 hands. It's more in reference to the tiny yearling she was. Anyhow she is in Wednesday at Belterra for probably her last start this year. She has those "Storm Cat" knees that turn out a bit and the right one is showing some wear. But she has done well all things considered and has a ton of heart and lovely conformation aside from the knees. She is by Stormy Atlantic, out of Memorette by Memo (CHI). Memorette was memorable, having won $856K in 32 starts, 30 of them stakes. When I bought Stormy Memo, Memorette had not really had anything of note, having been bred expensively, but perhaps not wisely. Stormy Memo joins Take a Memo as one of the mare's two winners. However, the half sisters have started to produce. Call Her Chelsea (Curlin) has thrown My Borrowed Angel ($156K in 7 starts).

Anyhow, there is no money for her at Turfway since she is a CAL bred.. so she will likely come to the farm next week and I might think about breeding next year. She is a full bodied compact filly with good bone, nice neck and head but stlll wearing the yearling halter she had on when I bought her. Who in KY would you go to (under 10K)? I kind of like Wicked Strong or Midnight Storm....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:30 pm 
Grade II Winner

I have no suggestions, but want to point out that many times you mention a horse you like, they wind up being sold off.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:33 am 

yeah, it's too early to speculate I guess. It's best to wait until after the November sale.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:59 am 
Breeder's Cup Contender

Madelyn, the two who come to mind are Dominus and Tamarkuz.

Dominus -- kind of a sleeper at $5k. Smart Strike would tie into the Canadian bloodlines of Storm Bird and Nijinsky in Stormy Memo's pedigree, plus he's overall improving his mares.

Tamarkuz -- yes, the hypothetical foal's pedigree looks like a Christmas tree with all of the linebreeding, but I wouldn't necessarily let it put you off if the physicals match well. He was fast enough to win the BC Dirt Mile over Gun Runner. Out of his first crop of 29 foals, his best runner to date is a Santa Anita MSW winner out of a Stormy Atlantic mare. Pedigree-wise, he brings in lots of Tom Fool via Buckpasser and Tim Tam and lots of Somethingroyal to tie into Memo's broodmare sire Chairman Walker, plus another cross to Thong to tie into Stormy Atlantic and Thatch. He's priced at $10k but it's worth asking Shadwell if they'll negotiate on that.