Dealing with big KY farms

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

vaponydoc
2yo Maiden

Dealing with big KY farms

Postby vaponydoc » Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:36 pm

I am a very small scale breeder and used to dealing with farms in the mid-Atlantic. I’m thinking of sending a mare to KY this year which would be a first for me.

Any advice on talking with some of the big farms? In my area, stud fees are pretty flexible. I’m assuming much less so in KY.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Re: Dealing with big KY farms

Postby Tappiano » Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:11 pm

I had exactly one mare and never had a problem finding someone at the farms to talk to and bring out any stallion I wanted to see (even if I wasn't going to breed to them). I used the time to talk to them about my mare, explain what I was looking to do, the types of foals she was throwing and they would tell me what they'd noticed in some of the stallions foals. I would tell them before I left if I was interested in any and they would tell me about deals they had. I think the only one I couldn't get a deal on (didn't wind up doing it) was The Factor in his second season and I didn't want to spend 15K on a season. I also dealt with some agents who can almost always get a good deal and in the case of The Factor, while there wasn't a deal on the price, they accepted my mare even though he was full, as the agent brought them a lot of business.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:58 am

I work with a lot of KY farms as a breeder's agent. I can get pretty good deals. A lot of times I am booking multiple mares. I would be happy to help out.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

vaponydoc
2yo Maiden

Postby vaponydoc » Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:38 pm

Thank you to both of you!
Madelyn, I will PM you.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:03 pm

I can affirm that Madelyn can get a deal~ :D

I know a couple of other agents who also have connections to various farms who can also help with that - getting a deal where everyone wins - breeder, farm, agent. I would suspect that some farms, seeing thin books on some stallions, might be real happy to help with the right mare, especially the newer stallions not yet hitting the big time.

You might also contact Debbie at the VTA about unsold Stallion Auction seasons and others as well. I got one from the TCA charity that way one time. Often they are available well after the auction.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

vaponydoc
2yo Maiden

Postby vaponydoc » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:08 pm

Thanks, joltman. I was planning to contact Debbie once I narrow down my list of stallions.
I appreciated the advice (I think from Tappiano?) on another thread about converting those NG seasons to LF via insurance.

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:58 pm

Yes, that's what I did with the season I won. I wouldn't have done it otherwise. Good luck to you. I don't have my mare anymore but I know where almost all her foals are (one is deceased).

vaponydoc
2yo Maiden

Postby vaponydoc » Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:30 am

Quick update— I went to Lexington last week and saw stallions at three farms. I had tried to PM Madelyn and not sure that it worked so I got in touch with another agent that a friend had recommended. He got me 25% off the fee, a nice discount. Not sure if it’s because the stallion is in his second year at stud and they just want numbers or if they like the mare? I’m just happy for the discount!
One of the farms I visited was Hill N Dale, to see Mucho Macho Man. There was another group there who must have asked to see the whole lineup and I stuck around for that. It’s an amazing bunch of stallions— very diverse in structure. Ghostzapper looks super for his age! I love Mucho but he’s really huge, 17 hands, and just too big for my mare.

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:15 am

That's great! I think the discounts are great whether you get them from the agent or from the farm.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:45 pm

Sorry I only got the one message. Maybe next time. Glad it worked out for you.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:24 am

I have some really killer deals this year - up to 60% off and some are free for stakes mares

vaponydoc
2yo Maiden

Postby vaponydoc » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:44 pm

Madelyn — I’d love to enlist your help!
I tried to PM you just now.