Open to suggestions...

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

Thoroughbred
Weanling

Postby Thoroughbred » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:29 pm

arsvcs wrote:No we did not sell Country Only. We have a great deal with Rene at Naylee Farm.

Yes, Country Only has 3 colts and 1 filly on the ground from test breedings. They are all large and correct. In fact his filly was in the Aug Mid-Atlantic, Country Rocks. It looks like he's going to be stamping his foals. We have alot of comments on the foals that he has now. Rene seems to feel that he will do really well in WV also.

I sent an email to Renee about sending a mare to Civilisation but might have to go look at Limit Out too.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:16 pm

Thoroughbred

I have two 2006 Civilisation geldings with Rofe Racing at Middleburg and one, Civil Disorder, has ran twice at Charles Town. Both look like they are going to make decent classic racers. ..

Civilisation get mature late so be prepared to give them the time they need to mature.. Civil Disorder ran his first race on 12/07/08 and Hotel Sierra has not braced yet.

Personally, I think Civilisation is the best bred stallion anywhere. However, it's hard to beat the stats on Limit Out:

$71,354 avearge earnings per starter lifetime & $39,254 avearge earnings per starter for 2008.

65% starters from foals and 76% winners from starters.

12% states winners from starters & 21% stakes horses from starters.

Arsvers, I saw one of your Country Only get on 01/10/09. He/she belongs to my friend Mike Rife and is a very good looking well balanced yearling [as of 01/01/09]. I don't remember if it was a gelding or a filly but it was a really good looking, balanced brown/dark bay.

I'm sending a mare to Naylee next week to get it off fescue two months before it drops a Limit Out foal. I have two other mares in foal to Gunnerside who also stands at NayLee. Rene has taken very good care of my mares in the past and many have actually gained weight while they were there.

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

Laurierace
Grade II Winner

Postby Laurierace » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:45 pm

Sorry to see this thread bumped up. This is one of the mares that Gerry starved to death so she will not be needing a stallion this year.

Thoroughbred
Weanling

Postby Thoroughbred » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:01 pm

Laurierace wrote:Sorry to see this thread bumped up. This is one of the mares that Gerry starved to death so she will not be needing a stallion this year.

Sorry Laurie that was not my intent.

Dave

Laurierace
Grade II Winner

Postby Laurierace » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:00 pm

I know that wasn't your intent and I don't blame anyone but Gerry, no worries.

Bohemia
Starters Handicap

Postby Bohemia » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:54 am

Couple of things regarding stallion suggestions - Will's Way has been retired to Old Friends, and as for Special Times, his progeny definitely seem to need time to develop; in other words, he does not seem to be a good choice if you're looking to race a 2-year-old. Also, since Godstone Farm is for sale, you might want to check with his owner, Dr. Robert Fishman, as to his location if you are interested in breeding to him.

Thoroughbred
Weanling

Postby Thoroughbred » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:35 am

griff wrote:Thoroughbred

I have two 2006 Civilisation geldings with Rofe Racing at Middleburg and one, Civil Disorder, has ran twice at Charles Town. Both look like they are going to make decent classic racers. ..

Civilisation get mature late so be prepared to give them the time they need to mature.. Civil Disorder ran his first race on 12/07/08 and Hotel Sierra has not braced yet.

Personally, I think Civilisation is the best bred stallion anywhere. However, it's hard to beat the stats on Limit Out:

$71,354 avearge earnings per starter lifetime & $39,254 avearge earnings per starter for 2008.

65% starters from foals and 76% winners from starters.

12% states winners from starters & 21% stakes horses from starters.

Arsvers, I saw one of your Country Only get on 01/10/09. He/she belongs to my friend Mike Rife and is a very good looking well balanced yearling [as of 01/01/09]. I don't remember if it was a gelding or a filly but it was a really good looking, balanced brown/dark bay.

I'm sending a mare to Naylee next week to get it off fescue two months before it drops a Limit Out foal. I have two other mares in foal to Gunnerside who also stands at NayLee. Rene has taken very good care of my mares in the past and many have actually gained weight while they were there.

griff

Thanks griff, I am not much of a two year old runner anyway and I like late foals.

I need to drive over to the Moore's place soon.

arsvcs
2yo Maiden

Postby arsvcs » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:47 pm

Griff - there are several of Country Only's foals on the bloodhorse website. I tried to get pictures of as many as I could, but some of the left Naylee before I got down there to get them. I did make a special trip to Mike's house and saw his colt. He was and is a delight to see. I took some pictures and tried to get the on the bloodhorse website, but they said they weren't adding anymore. I hope to have them up on our website soon.

Rene' and her employee's do take really good care of the horses. I am so pleased with the looks of Country Only and he is so happy!!! Just goes to show you don't need a high priced outfit to get the best care for your horses. Rene' has a unbelieveable memory!!! I'm amazed that she can keep all the pedigrees of all those horses in her memory. I can't, and I have tried (studying, writing several times) I just can't seem to make them stick!

From what I understand Mike plans to breed a few mares to Country Only this year. I'm sure he will be pleased. So far we couldn't have asked anything more.

pleasantcolony
Weanling

Postby pleasantcolony » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:55 pm

There are so many stallions in Pennsylvania that I like with this mare. You are very lucky having so many options.

Some of my top picks for her would be:
Dixie Mon (by Marias Mon out of a Dixeland Band mare) $2,500 stud fee
Changeintheweather (gone west out of a pleasant colony mare) $3,500 stud fee
Shark (danzig out of a seattle slew mare) $3,500
Digamist (blushing groom out of a northern dancer mare) $1,000
Quarry (fortyniner out of a nijinsky mare) $1,000
Albert the Great (go for gin out of a fappiano mare) $3,500