Help with Stallion Choice

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

Des
Allowance Winner

Postby Des » Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:07 pm

I am looking at the suggestion of Crypto Star and actually like it a lot. I also saw that he had 9th race MSW winner at Pimlico today.

Michael
Allowance Winner

Postby Michael » Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:44 pm

Des,

IMO this mare does not justify the stud fee expenditure you're talking about. She is a non-winner by Run Softly (stud failure) from a marginal female family. She sold for $1,200 as a yearling ($14,300 average for sire) which indicates she has conformation problems. All in all, a very low percentage broodmare prospect.

Des
Allowance Winner

Postby Des » Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:33 am

Micheal, I agree with you that Run Softly was a stud failure, but as for my mare I can tell you that conformation wise, she is very well balanced. Please note that her sales price as a yearling was due to an an injury that she had suffered as a yearling. If only you can see her then you would understand why I really want to try her in the breeding shed. Her dams side is not too shabby after all, Yankee Law was a decent runner and producer. I really don't mind the $3500 stud fee to Crypo Star, after all I've seen some spend up to half a million and not make it at all. I always remember one thing....There's no guaranteed formula for breeding a winner, all we can do is select or choices and hope that all goes well. Again thanks for you input. This one's just for me.

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:06 pm

hi Des

Freud may make it...but as a racehorse he might best be described as a fraud. I recommend that you ask the farm (where he stands) for a copy of all of his charts...then decide for yourself.

Why not consider Thunderello or Mayakovsky (both currently in New York)?

I suggest that both may be worthy of serious consideration...especially if the northeast is your playground. Both are young...both had brilliant speed...and both were early (but did impress as 3-year-olds also).

They finished one...two...when racing vs each other in their first lifetime starts (as 2-year-olds)...which by the way was at Saratoga (arguably one of the premier...if not the premier...racing venues in the world).

Mayakovky set a new-track-record that day...then Thunderello came back in his next start (at Saratoga also) and broke his maiden by 14+ lengths...WOW to both accomplishments.

Mayakovsky then was second in the G1-Hopeful (7 furlongs for 2-year-olds) to Came Home...and subsequently went on (as a 3-year-old) to win the G3 Gotham (at a mile) over Saarland.

As a 3-year-old...stakes-winner Thunderello's G1-Breeders' Cup Sprint performance where he finished second to the 4-year-old and subsequent champion sprinter Orientate (after setting all the fractions) was quite rousing...and impressive (to say the least).

I suggest that Thunderello and Mayakovsky...are two very interesting horses with genuine talent...and their stud fees seem about-right.

Best to you.

Respectfully

aurora
Starters Handicap

Postby aurora » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:00 pm

FOS, I have to agree with your suggestions, the mare needs some more speed introduced into her pedigree and either of these are excellent choices IMO.