Help with Stallion Choice

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

Des
Allowance Winner

Help with Stallion Choice

Postby Des » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:58 pm

I had decided to breed my mare to Eastern Echo in 2005, but as you know he died a few weeks ago. Who do you recommend breeding her to. I intend on keeping the foal for racing. Stallions in MD, PA. NY or FL. The name of the mare's is Runup. Stallion range up to $7,500.

Thanks for the assistance.

chicago78
Maiden Special Weight

Postby chicago78 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:48 pm

I might try Bowman's Band with her. He's standing at the same place, and is in his first year, so if you had a contract, there's a chance they'd do some sort of deal on him. He comes from an amazing female family, and was a real good, consistent racehorse. Dixieland Band is also the sire of Dixie Union, one of the real hot young studs right now. I think he could be commercial, and is standing his first year in 2005. He may be worth a chance.

Denise
Restricted Stakes Winner

Wow Des

Postby Denise » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:36 pm

What a gorgeous pedigree your mare has...I love to see His Majesty on the dam's side.

Cathy D
Allowance Winner

Postby Cathy D » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:57 pm

On paper, I like Kingmambo's 3/4 brother Mojave Moon for your mare if you are breeding to race. Kingmambo likes more Northern Dancer in his mares, and your mare has a double. Mojave Moon has His Majesty's full brother Graustark via Miesque, and Damascus through Private Account, which Yankee Law should like. He is unproven, but this is a "bubble" year for him, so you might be able to negotiate on the stud fee, which is a little high, in my opinion.

henthorn
Eclipse Champion

Postby henthorn » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:57 pm

Eastern Echo's best son was Swiss Yodeler and he is in California. Eastern Echo also has talented close relatives in Roar by Forty Niner, Yell by AP Indy, and Praise, (dam of Flatter) by AP Indy. Blare of Trumpets is by Fit to Fight. Fit to Fight and Flatter are both in Kentucky for $5000 stud fee.
Rocking H

henthorn
Eclipse Champion

Postby henthorn » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:08 pm

Mock Orange in your mare's pedigree is also found in Cryptoclearance and his sons. I especially like for $7,500 fee Millennium Wind in KY with her because of the crosses of Grass Shack, Ribot, and Native Dancer. In MD is Crypto Star for $3,500 fee.
Rocking H

Des
Allowance Winner

Postby Des » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:22 am

I will certainly be looking at the suggested selections. Thanks for the help. She is due to foal sometime in March and I want to breed her as soon as after. What do you think about the mating to Freud. He's a full brother to Giants Causeway?

Intrinsic Worth
Starters Handicap

Postby Intrinsic Worth » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:53 am

From what I've seen of Millennium Wind babies, he doesn't seem to stamp them real well. They tend to look like the dam. The also seem to be rather refined with little bone.
All men are equal on the turf - or under it.

bcassidy
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby bcassidy » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:05 am

Des--- In NY I like Judge TC and Lycius. I give these recommendations based upon a privately devised system to evaluate a sire's breeding potential. It is quantitative and has been very effective at identifying value in breeding stallions. In Md I like Outflanker, for identical reasons. I can't recommend any stallion in Pa.

On a separate note. I have a young stallion I stand at my farm in NJ. His name is Honor Defend and he has a tremendous pedigree. You can look him up or send me a response to this email and I will send you more information on him. NJ has a great program they just initiated where the foal can be dropped in another state if it is sired by a NJ stallion and that foal can then be dual state registered. A great deal with MSW purses starting at 48k and alw races going up to 52k for Restricited state breds. If you like my stallion you can breed to him free. You can see him and his first foals in NJ. If you want to know more about him just drop me a line. Hope this helps.
best regards Brendan

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:23 pm

Try WV.

They have a good state program and both Black Tie Affait and Housebuster are standing there for $7,500. Both are proven stallions which were brought home from Japan. BTA has four millionaires and 33 stakes horses with 72% winners from foals to race.

Also, Emancipator [Forty Niner X Counterdance by Danzig] would give you an 4X5 to Northern Dancer and a 5X4 to Ribot. Emancipator never raced but with two small crops has 8 winners and one twice stakes placed filly with $100k plus in winnnings. His dam, Countradance is a G1 stakes winner of $492k which is better than Distorted Humor's dam.

There's also Kokand who has a solid pedigree and has produced some good horses out of "average" mares. I belive he is the #1 ranked stallion in WV & is standing fir $3,500. Not bad for a Mr. P son with a good bottom.
griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

Joe
Starters Handicap

Postby Joe » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:50 pm

I looked at Emacipator and it's scary Griff. I think my arms might be longer than his legs.

liberty
Maiden Special Weight

Postby liberty » Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:39 pm

I don't like Freud. Breed to a stallion with soundness if you are going to race. You might consider Say Forida Sandy in NY. The pedigree may not excite anyone, but you have a good chance of getting a runner.

Someone mentioned that Millennium Wind wasn't stamping his babies. The weanlings that sold at Keeneland November seemed to sell well. What gives?

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:17 pm

Joe

Maybe that's why he never raced. Still his foals look nice and at least Zitlady runs well and you've got to like that pedigree, especially Countredance. www.emancipator.net for some foal pictures.

I see you're from PA. Whats your take on the PABRED program with the new slots? How do you rate the PABRED vs the WVBRED programs?

Lastly, I'd think people would be getting trampled trying to get to Black Tie Affair and Housebuster at $7,500. Is there a problem here I don't know about or can't see?

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

Keith
Grade III Winner

Several stallions I would suggest.

Postby Keith » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:09 pm

1. Duckhorn by Not for Love-Ten's Testamony by Deputed Testamony winner of $747,812 and winner of the gr. II Hawthorne Gold Cup over multiple grade I winner Lido Palace. He is a grandson of Mr. Prospector and Mr. Prospector lines cross well with Northern Dancer blood. Crossed with your mare you would get 4x5x5 Northern Dancer and 4x5 Nashua. He is reasonably priced at $2500 standing in Pennsylvania.

2. Crypto Star by Cryptoclearance-One I Love by Sir Ivor winner of $730,090 and the Arkansas Derby and the Louisiana Derby and he has sired stakes winning Stephen's Angel who was second in the Grade 3 Miss Preakness S. Crypto Star has only had two crops to race. Crossed with your mare you would get 4x5 Mock Orange the second dam of Cryptoclearance and dam of 3 SW's. She would also line breed 4x5 Ribot 5x6 Alibhai 4x6 Nashua. He is standing for $3500 in Maryland.

3. Great Pyramid by Danehill-Offshore Boom by Be My Guest winner in Europe. Crossed with your mare you would get 4x4x5x5 Northern Dancer and 5x5x5x6x6 Natalma 3x4 His Majesty 4x5 Flower Bowl and 5x5 River Lady the dam of Riverman. Northern Dancer line breeds well and line breeding on great mares Natalma, River Lady, and Flower Bowl might pan out for you and he stands for $2500 in Florida.

Keith

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:14 am

On paper, I like the Millennium Wind matchup quite a bit. Outcrosses to Northern Dancer, inbreeds to quite a good broodmare in Mock Orange, some other nice line breeding features. Hope he looks nice with her physically and is available!
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis