Breeding recommendations: What do you think?

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

ZiaLand
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ZiaLand » Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:36 pm

jellac, thanks for your info on the Texas stallions. Being a "neighbor" I did consider some Texas stallions including Irish Open before deciding that I really needed to stick with NM breds for my first couple of crops. The incentives here are just too attractive to pass up on, even though our selection of proven or commercial stallions is very limited. I'll save your post for future reference, though. This info could come in very handy down the road.

Also, you might be interested to know that Lazy Lode has three crosses of Tourbillon on his dam's side (as per my post on the other thread). Just one more positive for me in this stallion's pedigree. Although Glorieta doesn't have the reinforcement of Tourbillon or Ksar in her dam's side, the two mares I'm considering breeding to him do.

Laurie
So many pedigrees...so little time. (C)

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:41 pm

Thanks. I really didn't know when he had entered stud; he's kind of "under the radar" for the two major pubs.
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

llbean
Grade III Winner

Postby llbean » Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:14 pm

Hi Zialand,

What are the names of the mares your thinking of sending to Lazy Lode? I liked that horse when he was racing and I think it's a good idea sending mares to him if the match-up's a nice one.

-llbean

Keith
Grade III Winner

Sveral nice NM stallions to consider

Postby Keith » Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:51 pm

Hi!

1. Istintaj by Nureyev-Mathkurh by Riverman winner of $396,111 1st Deputy Minister H.-Gr. III 6 1/2 furlongs 1:16.08, 1st Mr. Prospector H.-Gr. III 6f 1:09.63 2nd Phoenix Breeder's Cup S. that was run in 1:07.90 by Five Star Day. $2,250 stud fee Crossed with your mare 3x5 Northern Dancer 5x5 Native Dancer He is a multiple graded stakes winner with a turf pedigree but had speed on the dirt. Good horse for the money.
2. Mr. Groush by Crafty Prospector-Clint's Sec by Secretariat winner of $516,875 1st Alabama Derby-Gr. III, 1st New York Derby., 1st Albany S. $1,500 Stud Fee Crossed with your mare 3x4 Mr. Prospector 3x4 Secretariat and 4x5x6 Bold Ruler 5x5x6 Native Dancer Nice running horse but questionable on his conformation.
3. Red Prairie by El Prado-Kates Delimma by Tank's Prospect winner of $115,912 1st Roses S. 2nd Palace House S.-Gr. III 3rd Flying Childers S.-Gr. II,3rd Prix du Gros-Chene-Gr. II etc. $1500 Stud Fee Crossed with your mare 4x5 Northern Dancer 4x4 Mr. Prospector 5x5x6 Bold Ruler 5x6x6x6 Native Dancer 5x6x6 Raise You 5x6 Somethingroyal
4. Bay Head King by Saint Ballado-Meadow Silk by MeadowlakeMultiple New York allowance winner and 2nd Gallant Bob H. $2,000 Stud Fee Crossed with your mare 5x5 Raise a Native 5x5 Bold Ruler
5. Elegant Cat by Storm Cat-Elegant Glance by Loose Cannon $2,000 Stud fee. Crossed with your mare 4x4 Secretariat 4x5x5 Northern Dancer He is a well bred stallion who is a half brother to Gentlemen but his racing record is questionable where he never broke his maiden.

Keith

liberty
Maiden Special Weight

Postby liberty » Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:48 pm

I remeber Robyn Dancer as a 2 year old in Maryland. He was trained by John Robb. He had excellent speed and could carry it a distance. As evidence, he was second in the Laurel Futurity (G2 at the time) to Go and Go. You may recall that Go and Go won the Belmont the following year.

In looking at Robyn Dancer's stats, the first thing that jumps off the page is his 9 stakes winner from 45 named foals in his second crop. 20%. He also has excellent stats for winners to named foals in his first 5 crops.[/b]

ZiaLand
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ZiaLand » Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:35 am

liberty, thanks for this info. Robyn Dancer is probably one of, if not THE, most talented and credentialed sire in New Mexico right now (and he's a good looking gray) but I received some inside information that his temperament is terrible. I'm going to verify this is the case, but if so, one of my standards is that I absolutely won't breed to a sire with bad temperament, no matter how good the match would be. I'll sacrifice ability if I have to, for the sake of no one getting hurt. (No Tabasco Cats for me.)

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to see three Lazy Lode weanlings just turned yearlings (first crop, I'm told) and they are nothing short of awesome! One was out of a nice Unbridled Song mare and I can't remember the breeding on the other two mares, but I looked at all three. They were three different body types and two of these mares weren't very straight (one was pretty bad), and the babies were correct and straight as an arrow -- they were also big, had nice balance, excellent shoulder and hip, and it looks like they have hooves made of steel. They also have inquisitive, sane temperaments, and the owner said they are all extremely intelligent. Lazy Lode's breeding has been compared to Candy Ride and Unbridled, so his pedigree is not obscure even if he is somewhat "off the radar" himself. I plan to fly down to the El Paso area to take a look at Lazy Lode in the person next weekend, but if I like what I see and the phenotypes match up, I'm quite sure I'll be booking Miss Arkansas to him.

Miss Arkansas is an unraced daughter of Hawkster (note the winnings of $1.2M and $1.5M in the sire and dam's sire in this hypo-mating). If Hawkster is an unknown to you, he's the damsire of Afleet Alex. Also, Hawkster's full sister, Silver Lane, produced some excellent foreign talent including Black Hawk. An added plus for me in this mating is that it reinforces several crosses of Tourbillon and/or Ksar further back in the pedigree. The only downside I see is that the mating will probably result in a foal that's slow to mature, and who has a propensity toward turf. If the foal is a filly, I would seriously consider keeping her to race myself and holding her back until three to start.

I've gotten away from Glorieta with this post, so let me get back on track. After getting some inside information, I'm strongly considering breeding her to Devon Lane. He's a nice looking gray son of Storm Cat out of a Relaunch mare, and he's had some regional stakes horses and has just arrived in New Mexico after standing at Vessels in California, where he was promoted as both a TB and QH sire. (One of his QH offspring ran 3rd in the 2004 All American Futurity.) I like the placement of Secretariat in the hypo-mating, among other things. I need to see him in person before making a final decision.

Any comments welcome. Thanks!

Laurie

halo
Starters Handicap

Postby halo » Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:00 pm

I don't know about Robyn Dancer himself, but Ive been up close and personal with many of his foals, and there is no disposition problem with them. I wish he were still in Florida. He is the real deal. Friends of mine own Dancing Guy, and he's been a good solid horse for years.

ZiaLand
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ZiaLand » Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:20 pm

Thanks Halo! Very helpful.

Dancing Guy was a good one! Not sure why Robyn Dancer ended up here in New Mexico, unless it's because they thought he'd attract more mares being one of the best stallions in the state and because of the state incentive perks.

Laurie