Thrill After Dark. Suggestions for her first date

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

Shergar
Starters Handicap

Thrill After Dark. Suggestions for her first date

Postby Shergar » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:10 pm

Looking for ideas on who I should Breed her to.

Thrill is a 12x winner of 180k. She won two minor stakes on the dirt, won the the grass in No. and So. Calif. She placed in her only start on the Polytrack to eventual GI winner Double Trouble. Thrill won at distances for 5f to 9f. Her 9f win was a 40k claimer on the grass at S.A. She was a free wheeling front runner that didn't like to be rated.

Thill is very correct looking and stands 16.0 hands. The only physical issues she has had is some sore hooves and a few abscess's. My belief is some of her hoof problems came from the way she was shoed in Calif.

We want to go to Ky. and we are trying to keep the stud fee to no more than 20k

Definately a breed to race prospect, with an eye towards getting a turfy horse

For various reasons I have been looking hard at the following Stallions

Belong To Me. (Thrill has already been accepted to him)

Smoke Glacken. Probably doesn't fit into our plans of a turfer, but to me he really fits with Thrill.

Langfuhr

Quiet American

Thunder Gulch. I liked him last year when we were thinking of breeding her, but not all that sold on him.

Exchange Rate.

War Pass. Not my choice, but one of the connections asked me to look at him.

City Zip.

Petionville. I just like him as a sire. A good % of his progeny gets to the track and wins.

For an unproven sire, I am a bit intrigued by Lewis Mchael. We wouild get a double up of Rough Shod with this mating.

Just some of my thoughts for now. If anyone would like to make a suggestion, I would love to hear your thoughts.

Shergar

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:15 am

Everything in her pedigree just screams Blushing Groom to me--the Lyphard, the Nijinsky, other crosses of Nasrullah, the Dr Fager--if you're going to add one particular genetic strain to the mix, let it be Blushing Groom.

Strictly on paper, and even though he's unproven, I really like her with Silent Name (especially for a turfy/poly horse). He was a very useful racehorse, he's extremely well-bred, and he's very reasonably priced.

Of the ones you mentioned, City Zip and Lewis Michael both carry Blushing Groom. War Pass does as well, but I think for $30,000 there are lots of better options out there.

Cryptic Ninja
Yearling

Postby Cryptic Ninja » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:39 am

"Everything in her pedigree just screams Blushing Groom to me--the Lyphard, the Nijinsky, other crosses of Nasrullah, the Dr Fager--if you're going to add one particular genetic strain to the mix, let it be Blushing Groom."

I totally agree. Your mare definitely needs Blushing Groom, not more strains of Northern Dancer.

SemparQuel
Maiden Special Weight

Postby SemparQuel » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:02 am

Let me add just another name:
Skip Away

He was a great, tough durable runner, and his progeny often are the same.
His best products are from total outbreedings.
He already gave a good filly (Grey Bouquet) from a mare by Lyphard.
Good luck.

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:36 am

Shegar

While the Nijinsky/Blushing Groom nick produced many fine horses, if this were my mare I think I would look at three stallions, Pleasant Tap would provide a Pleasant Colony/Northern Dancer cross which has produced at least 5 GR1 winners. I think the best cross would be with Mizzen Mast while Alphabet Soup also looks good to me.

DDT

Shergar
Starters Handicap

Postby Shergar » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:26 pm

Got a great deal on Smoke Glacken. Thrill is on her way to Gainesway for her date with Smoke Glacken.

Thanks to everyone that replied and sent PM's

Shergar