Suggestions on these mares

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

hpkingjr

Suggestions on these mares

Postby hpkingjr » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:30 am

A friend sent me these four mares's pedigrees. He is in Kentucky, breed to race, lower the stud fees the better. He is open to any thoughts.

Flirty Red Bird
http://www.pedigreequery.com/flirty+red+bird

Sweet on Bertie
http://www.pedigreequery.com/sweet+on+bertie

We Like Green
http://www.pedigreequery.com/we+like+green

Teramaslew
http://www.pedigreequery.com/teramaslew

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:55 am

What an interesting group of mares. In my analysis, I have looked at stallions under $10K, the economy being what it is, and for these mares they are the best priced horses I could find for breed to race. These recommendations are all given without consideration to the conformation matchup, so I recommend that the stallions be inspected prior to booking to see if they are good physical matches for these mares.

FLIRTY RED BIRD

In analyzing the 22 GSW's produced by Silver Hawk (20) or Hawkster (2) mares, there is an overwhelming presence of Northern Dancer in the sires. There are also strains of Mr. Prospector in a number too large to ignore. In the PROVEN sire category, I like NORTHERN AFLEET at $7500 (there might be an auction season that could be had for less). In the UNPROVEN sire category, there is POWERSCOURT, for $7500 also. In this case, though, this is an unproven mare.

SWEET ON BERTIE

In looking at this particular mare's family, it seems the breeder might want to try to pull forward some of the influences that made her dam such a good racehorse, or worked well with her family. In the PROVEN sire category, I like Out of Place at $5,000, producing 3x5 Damascus sex balanced. I also very much like this mare with SEATTLE FITZ (ARG) at $8500, because of the influence of Never Bend AND Bold Ruler, strong sources of Nasrullah, in his dam. He throws heavy bone on his foals. His first crop have all just turned three years old a few days ago, so I consider him an UNPROVEN sire. In this mare's case, I would look closely at conformation, because I would vote for the unproven horse from a pedigree standpoint.

WE LIKE GREEN

What a nice third dam this mare has. It seems that the 4x4 Northern Dancer through sons, tried with this mare, was not the trigger that was hoped, so I would look elsewhere. In the good stakes horses out of her third dam there is also Turn To and Native Royalty. For this mare, in the PROVEN sire category, I like DEVIL HIS DUE, at $5,000. In the UNPROVEN sire category, I really like EVEN THE SCORE, at $6500. The inbreeding here to Mr. Prospector is so far back as to be more effective, and the other influences in this cross, like the 5x5 Le Fabuleux, make it worth trying.

TERAMASLEW

I love this mare for Rocking Trick, and if your friend were to allow me to work as his agent to book his mares, I would work him a lovely deal on the cross. If not, :) here are other recommendations.

This mare seems to have the need for speed. And this is one of the relatively few cases I would seek out Storm Cat in the sire. In the (somewhat) PROVEN sire category, I like YANKEE GENTLEMAN at $6500. This was a fast horse.. and in the UNPROVEN category, besides Rocking Trick, WOKE UP DREAMIN might be worth a look, at $5,000.

There is much more thought and analysis I have given to this than I can economically describe in a post. Feel free to have your friend contact me if he would like more details.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

pleasantcolony
Weanling

Postby pleasantcolony » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:55 pm

Hi.
I like Kanjinsky with all the mares. He stands for $1,000 at Hurstland Farm. You would have inbreeding with Nearco with Flirty Red Bird, Northern Dancer with We Like Green and Sweet on Birdie and a complete outcross with Teramaslew.
I also love Quest and Ten Centuries with Sweet on Bertie, Teramaslew and Flirty Red Bird. Quest stands for $2,500 at Stone Farm. Ten Centuries stands for $2,000 at Buck Pond.

Here are some other budget minded suggestions, along with the above stallions:

Flirty Red Bird

Cats Career (stands for $1,000)
Storm Brewing (stands for $1,000)
Alluvial ($2,500)
Dumaani ($2,000)
Kayrawan ($2,000)
Mustanfar ($2400)
Dont Get Mad (3,000)
Pyramid Peak (2,500)
David Copperfield (5,000)
Unforgettable Max (4,500)
Out of Place (5,000)

Teramaslew

Cats Career ($1,000)
Kayrawan (2,000)
Mustanfar (2,400)
Home at Last (2,500)
Valiant Halory (3,500)
Storm Brewing (1,000)
Strategic Mission (4,000)
Margies Wildcat (2,500)

We like Green

Military (5,000)
Cat Ridge (1,000)
Dumaani (2,000)
Home at Last (2,500)

Sweet on Bertie

Grindstone (3,500)
Dont get Mad (3,000)
Cats Career (1,000)
Storm Brewing (1,000)
Dumaani (2,000)
Mustanfar (2,400)
Kayrawan (2,000)

We would love to know who you decide on. Best of luck !!

Rick
Allowance Winner

Postby Rick » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:58 pm

For Flirty Red Bird, I would look at Holy Bull or one of his sons. This would bring together Al Hattab and his full sister Waterbuck.