mating advice

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

edaselro
Weanling

mating advice

Postby edaselro » Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:39 pm

Hello all,

Any advice re: the mare Jellapore?

This daughter of Raja Baba is a half sister to Northern Baby and a multiple graded stakes producer. She is in foal to Stormy Atlantic on a very late cover. I had her booked to Forest Wildcat but switched a stakes placed 1/2 to G3 (as that mare, a maiden, is more likely to get in foal) to that season.

She is a very old mare and I will really only have one chance to breed her given the late cover. I really want to get a filly out of her (she's had five colts in a row).

So now I need to rebook her. A stallion at Jonabell would be preferable, but I can't see that any of them match her well on paper (although, pysically, Kafwain does). Needs to be a commercial stallion, but I would race if a filly.
Last edited by edaselro on Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

austique
Grade I Winner

Postby austique » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:03 pm

Have you tried the matings recommendations on Jonabell's website? It may be interesting to see what they think.

yukidragon
Starters Handicap

Postby yukidragon » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:10 pm

She's had two winners by Northern Dancer's son before.
Maybe good to stick with what works for her.
StormCat would be goodone.

edaselro
Weanling

Postby edaselro » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:15 pm

yukidragon wrote:She's had two winners by Northern Dancer's son before.
Maybe good to stick with what works for her.
StormCat would be goodone.

Hence why she's in foal to a son of Storm Cat (who is similarly bred to Secreto, with whom she had success, and is of course by Storm Bird, with whom she had success, and why she was originally booked to another of his sons. I was also considering switching out another mare and put her to Newfoundland.