Mare worth breeding or buying?

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

radrider
Maiden Special Weight

Mare worth breeding or buying?

Postby radrider » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:11 pm

Looking at Chars Valentine - she's by Royal Academy. He seems like a good broodmare sire, but it seems he's not real popular in the States, more in Australia. Any suggestions?

Fireslam
Allowance Winner

Postby Fireslam » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:59 am

If she's free and you need a riding horse, she's worth it. If she costs money are you are thinking of breeding for racing, save your money.

Sock Monkey
Allowance Winner

Postby Sock Monkey » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:17 am

I agree with Fireslam's sentiment re: her potential as a broodmare.

The reason I don't think she has much potential as a broodmare is that she was unable to win in 10 tries in bottom claimers. She is a first foal, so her dam's produce record may improve, but her dam's race record was not impressive (unable to win in 6 tries and earnings of ~$1k). Her dam is a half to a very useful runner who won 14 of 83 and ~$100k, but that is the best this mare's second dam produced. This mare's third dam is a full sister to a nice stakes winner of $250k, but that stakes mare hasn't produced much either.

There are some nice stallions in the pedigree, but in my opinion that isn't enough to make up for the lack of talent on the distaff side. If she's a lovely mare, I certainly wouldn't say she's worthless from a riding horse perspective, but I think you could do better for a broodmare prospect.