Opinions on matings for Rubikisses

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

DreamersPrincess
Yearling

Opinions on matings for Rubikisses

Postby DreamersPrincess » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:52 am

Hi, I would like to get opinions on potential matings for Rubikisses (1998) and also opinions on matings with the horses below. I would hope to breed to race on dirt at 1+ mile. I'm in the North East area and would be looking at the PA racing programs.

Slew City Slew
Leestown
Let Goodtimes Roll (based on Chowder's First pedigree)

Jump Start - looks great on paper, but it really bothers me that he had sesmoid problems. Sesmoiditis is why Rubikisses is retired (after 41 starts mostly on dirt).

Any other recommendations or opinions on the crosses above would be greatly appreciated.

Kami

LSB
Grade II Winner

Postby LSB » Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:12 am

I don't have any recommendations but I just wanted to say congratualtions on having such a wonderful, durable mare. I'm sure planning a breeding for her will be a pleasure.

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:41 am

You can hardly get better value than Slew City Slew at $5000, and the cross is similar to the one that produced G2 winner Evansville Slew. I'm assuming that this will be Rubikisses' first foal, so it may well be worth considering putting her to a sire who on history has a quite decent chance of getting a useful winner from her and getting her produce record off to a good start.

The Jump Start mating does indeed look extremely nice on paper; the main knock to me is not so much his injuries (he also suffered a left front condylar fracture) but the fact that he is unproven. If the conformation match looks very good, the risk is a bit more palatable.

The Seattle Slew line definitely seems the way to go here (although Slew Gin Fizz in Florida would also make an interesting match -- suspect that's too far to ship, though). If you find you can't get in to your first choices, Harry the Hat might be worth considering as a backup -- he's right there in PA, has gotten respectable results from subpar mares, and has his best runner to date from a Mr. Prospector-line mare.
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

Jenarby
Allowance Winner

Postby Jenarby » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:10 pm

What do you all think about Marco Bay with Kami's mare? He was just moved to stand in Oxford, PA for 3k. I know he's not a popular stallion, but what do they look like together?

DreamersPrincess
Yearling

Postby DreamersPrincess » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:29 am

- LSB
Thanks. She's a sweet horse that has put in an honest (if not stellar) living. If I breed her, I do want to give her the best shot possible to contribute to the breed. But I have to admit, breeding is so much more complex than I ever would have guessed. My hat is off to anyone that does this for a living!

- Mahubah
I really keep comming back to Slew City Slew because he has such an established track record. This is her first and so there is that sorting out if she will be a producer or not. I'd just love to know how many mares he's booked to this year, since he has 79 2yos this year But he's my favorite of the proven studs...

I kept comming back to the bottom side of Leestown where he has Northern Dancer (very frequent in the winning horse of Rubiano mares), Key to the Mint (gender balanced Graustark?) and Bold Ruler (common in winning Rubiano Mare produce, but most often through Secretariate). My hesitation on him is his produce record. So he looks good on paper, but seems inconsistent as a stud. (Guess that beats consistently non-producing?)

I hit on Let Goodtimes Roll looking for Graustark through Key to the Mint (to me this seems like a declining line that is worth keeping in the gene pool); LGR also has Bold Ruler and Buckpasser (common in winning Rubiano mare foals), he's a heavy built horse (Rubi's fine boned); his filly Chowder's First is out of an Unbridled mare and when I put their linebreeding side by side they are similar if you count a 4x4 Graustark as equal to a 5x5 Ribot (you probably really can't do that?); Rubi's best attribute is a competitive mind (LGR is also supposed to pass that on). --- but he has a very limited record. :?

I also forgot Catienus who has already produced a black type winner by a Rubiano mare... that mare brought Northern Dancer and was less stamina oriented than Rubi.

- Jenarby
I'm completly new to this stuff and not very bright. I looked at Marco Bay. I do see the Olympia on the sire side and Ribot on the dam side but hadn't looked into those influences at this point because of where they sit in Rubi's pedigree. I don't know what to make of this mating. I haven't researched any of the horses in his close up bloodline and they don't show up in nicking patterns for Rubiano mares (so no history to look at). I would like to hear anyone's opinions.

Thanks for the comments. Still learning
Kami

Keith
Grade III Winner

Several horses that I would consider.

Postby Keith » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:18 pm

Hi!

1. Lil's Lad by Pine Bluff-Totemic by Vanlandingham He was crossed with one Rubiano mare and got stakes winner Valida and you would get 3x4 Fappiano and 4x5 Northern Dancer. He stands in Pennsylvania for $3500
2. Lost Soldier by Danzig-Lady Winborne by Secretariat. Crossed with your mare you would get 3x5 Northern Dancer, 5x6 Big Hurry. He traces back to Big Hurry on the mares line like your mare Rubikisses He stands for $7500 in Kentucky
3. Go For Gin by Cormorant-Never Knock by Stage Door Johnny Crossed with your mare you would get 4x5 Flower Bowl through brothers His Majesty and Graustark and 6x7 La Troienne through sisters Black Helen and Big Hurry. Remember Albert the Great is out of a Fappiano mare. $7500 in Maryland
4. Roman Dancer by Polish Numbers-Phalanopsis by Cormorant with your mare you would get 4x5 Northern Dancer,5x5 Flower Bowl and 7x7x8 La Troienne through daughters Big Hurry,Businesslike, and Baby League He stands for $3,500 in New York
5. Say Florida Sandy by Personal Flag-Loli Lucka Lolli by Sweet Candy 7x8x8x9 $5000 in New York
6. Lion Hearted by Storm Cat-Cadillacing by Alydar You would get 6x6 Big Hurry and he also traces back to Big Hurry on his mare line. Also you would get 4x5 Northern Dancer and 4x5 Raise a Native $5,000 in Maryland
7. Turnofthecentury by Holy Bull-Greening by Greinton Crossed with your mare you would get 5x6 Aspidistra through siblings Ta Wee and Dr. Fager. You would get 4x5 Nijinsky II, 5x5 Ribot,5x6 Rough n Tumble,and 5x6 Intentionally. $2000 in Pensylvania.
8. Duckhorn by Not for Love-Ten's Testamony by Deputed Testamony crosse with your mare you would get 3x3 Mr. Prospector and 4x5 Northern Dancer $2500 in Pennsylvania

Keith

Keith

DreamersPrincess
Yearling

Postby DreamersPrincess » Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:18 pm

Keith

I wanted to thank you for the suggestions.... they give me a lot to look at. I had looked at go for gin... will wade through the others. Thanks again!

Kami

Pete
Grade I Winner

Postby Pete » Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:01 am

Hi DreamersPrincess,

You didn't mention if you wanted to race or sell the foal. The stallions that you mention are sort of all over the map in price and commercial appeal. You also don't mention anything about her physically and that would be a help.

Jump Start has been a very heavily supported stallion, but it's doubtful that you could get your mare to him at this time and secondly, they have turned down most mares who haven't won at 2. He has been well accepted commercially but he has yearlings in 2005 and breeding to him this year would mean that you would be selling (assuming in this case that is your intention) 'on the bubble'. In other words, if his first foals run well, you would reap the benefits of their success and if they don't run well you'll find that his commercial appeal has dissapated.

Mahubah points out a similar successful mating with Slew City Slew that produced Evansville Slew. Slew City Slew is a solid race horse sire and a good choiceif you intend to race because he doesn't have a lot of commercial appeal.

If you're breeding to race and you want to leverage the PA program, I would only breed out of state if there was a compelling reason to do so. If you intend to sell the foal, then I'd look elsewhere because the PA stallions don't have commercial appeal. Keith mentioned some PA stallions that you might want to consider. Keep in mind that resident PA stallions give a 30% breeders award and out of state stallions 20%.

I'd add to the PA stallions that Keith lists MAZEL TRICK, who stands at Reigle Heir Farm (PA) for $5,000 and who formerly stood at Airdrie Stud in KY.

Mazel Trick only gotten 1 SW to date, but he has sired the winners of over $2,600,000 and has been a consistent top 10 leader in his crop of stallions. Despite the lack of SWs, his winners have averaged over $55,000, an indication that they have some ability and class. In the PA program, with 30% breeder awards, an average winner by Mazel Trick would earn you more than $16,000.

Mazel Trick has the potential to regain some commercial appeal because his runners are doing well (but not winning stakes) and he has at least 62 2yos of 2005, (at least) 76 yearlings and was bred to 64 mares in KY.

I would also consider is Will's Way who stands at Pin Oak Lane Farm (PA)for $3,500. His average earnings per winner is close to $60,000 and he has sired the good G2 SW Lion Tamer (over $500,000 in earnings).

Uou might also consider Lite The Fuse, who also stands at Pin Oak Lane Farm (PA) for $3,500. His winner also average close to $60,000.

Mazel Trick has the best potential to reclaim commercial appeal of these three stallions.

If you're breeding to sell and have the budget to do so, I'd look to more commercial stallions and that generally means Kentucky. A stallion you might consider is Petionville, Crestwood Farm (KY), standing for $15,000.

Petionville’s raw numbers (from foals) are exceptional. 81% runners, 58% winners (an astonishing 94% runners and 77% winners from his mature first three crops), 19% 2yo winners and 7% SW including 3% graded. These would be strong numbers for a mature stallion with 15 crops. His foals average over $55k in earnings and his winners more than $90k. His AEI (Average Earnings Index) is 1.77 with a CI (Comparative Index) of 1.32. Petionville moves his mare ups noticeably and his good sales results are generally with mares who are not the most commercial.

I am not normally a big fan of in breeding to Mr. Prospector but under Rubikisses 3rd and 4th dam there is a lot of success with Raise A Native line stallions like ZOMAN (by Affirmed) and RIGAMAJIG (by Majestic Light). Majestic Light is the grand sire of Petionville's dam and ISLAND FASHION (G1) is Petionville's best and she's 4x4 Raise A Native. In addition, Petionville was represented by three runners on Breeder's Cup day, more than any other stallion.

Regards,

Pete

DreamersPrincess
Yearling

Postby DreamersPrincess » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:33 am

Pete,

Thanks for the comments. You've mentioned a few horses that I've looked at...

My prices/commercial appeal are probably all over the map because
- I'm breeding to race
- Since she's a maiden mare, I'm looking for a stallion that has some sort of record (e.g. at least started breeding in 2000 or earlier) to help me determine if she's a producer or not. This keeps bringing me back to Slew City Slew.
- I'm also looking for evidence of soundness (or to avoid known unsoundness).
- Price wise, my goal is to give her the best opportunity to prove herself to be a producer within a reasonable level of expense given her record/pedigree. I'm not likely to go 15k on stud fee at this point, unless the stud has a very strong record of throwing fast/sound horses.

She's around 16h and light boned. I would like to see more bone and maybe a slightly shorter back (my preference - no one else has commented on this) in a foal. Only other issue is that I'm looking for a strong/correct front end because she had an ankle problem. She has a beautiful, refined head and eye and I'd hate to go with a grusome looking horse only because if the foal isn't a runner, it will need to have a second career.

Some nicking patterns with Rubiano mares are below. I agree with avoiding Mr Prospector even though it has worked in the past.

I keep comming back to Seattle Slew line horses because there have been consistent success from at least a couple crosses. In PA I do like Harry The Hat. I've also seen a horse called Raging Slew advertised on Dream Horse, but they don't seem to be promoting him very much.
A.P. Indy sons are not as consistent, but there are more examples and there's a good AP Indy/Fappiano nick on eNicks (which I'm not really sure about how to read).. but it comes at A+ (+1033%). I think the percentile number is speed? which Rubikisses could use more of.

A Northern Dancer cross is common in almost all of the rubiano mare blktyp winners. Rubikisses is strongly linebred to Teddy so Deputy Minister sons are interesting because of the discussion about bringing Teddy to DM horses in another thread. The Rubiano mare G1 (Take Charge Lady) is from an unraced mare that produced 2 of the 5 SW horses from Rubiano mares. So full brother Defrere is interesting but obviously not as strong has his brother Dehere (and rubikisses pedigree is not as speed oriented as that mare). Storm Cats are also interesting (Lion Hearted shows a full book) but this is a nice 'package' of ND, Bold Ruler and Buckpasser. The strongest enick I've ever gotten on her was with Citidancer/Fappiano, but some have said he has soundness issues. I like Lost Soldier (36 starts) but the one Danzig sired horse didn't win and 8 Danzig sons with 10 dams produced 11 foals with only 3 winners... not a warm fuzzy without more research.

There were three tries with Phone Trick sons (Mazel Trick was tried once) and none of the horses raced. I know there's logic for trying Phone Trick sons, but the stats don't give a warm fuzzy and I don't know the history on why none of them ran, but is was 3 different mares w/3 different sons. It might be that they're not being bred to race or that Rubiano pulls out a genetic defect? Either way with only 3 there's not enough info to even really guess.

I like a lot of the Pin Oak horses... they have a nice selection of bloodlines Appealing Skier was recommended by Bill from WA from a conduit mare perspective and I like probably 3/4 of the horses at that farm.

Selected nicking patterns for Rubiano Mares
Sire of Sir sons/mares/foals/runners/winners/bktypwnr - AEI

Seattle Slew 5 6 6 6 6 1 - 2.54 (SS)
A.P. Indy 4 4 4 3 2 0 - 2.34 (SS)
Storm Cat 9 11 12 12 7 1 - 1.41 (ND)
Deputy Minister 5 6 7 6 3 1 - 14.61 (ND) (G1 winner affecting stat)
Roberto 1 1 1 1 1 1 - 6.28 (HTR)
In Excess (IRE) 1 1 1 1 1 0 - 5.83 (Caro)

Gone West 2 3 3 2 1 0 - 4.63 (MrP)
End Sweep 1 2 2 2 1 1 - 2.59 (MrP)

Anyway, that's where I am and some of my thought processes after about 2 months of looking at this... basically looking at all the tools available to help (GSV, eNick, conduit mare, prior patterns, family lines, etc, etc) still confused, but trying to merge them together into some sort of reasonable stallion selection process for this mare.

Now I understand why people would rather stand a stud... there are so many more opportunities that its easier and less expensive to experiment to see what works.

Kami

doublete
Allowance Winner

Postby doublete » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:44 pm

Kami- I think I knew your mare.. Any chance she was trained at Penn National (mostly) by Sam?
If not then I'm not thinking the same mare.
Did you just purchase her recently?

But I'm not help on the breeding front. :lol:
Racing and retraining.

DreamersPrincess
Yearling

Postby DreamersPrincess » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:57 pm

Her PP has her at TP, LS, AP, HAW, SPT, TAM, CD, IND(?) ELP and MNR where I got her from... so I don't see her running anywhere more east than just past the ohio state line in WV.

Too bad, she's so sweet, I'd love to know more of her background.

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:13 pm

hi DreamersPrincess

Full Mandate in Florida has the Slew...Buckpasser...and Northern Dancer that you might be looking for.

He was bred to approx 150 mares his first year at stud (2004)...and is apparently an exceptional breeding horse. The "buzz" surrounding Full Mandate was very loud his first season but arguably may now take a backseat to Omega Code (the extremely fast son of Elusive Quality out of a Deputy Minister mare that stands in the same barn as Full Mandate).

I expect that offspring by both will be very well received at the sales.

If the Slew...Buckpasser...Northern Dancer that Full Mandate offers appeals to you...you might consider this. I suggest he is an absolute knockout...and difficult to flaw. Photographs don't do him justice...I suggest he's an eyeful...a WOW kinda horse.

And I've seen several of his foals already. Each was very good size...had deep strong hips...and front ends that look as normal and correct as one might hope to see on very young foals.

They had bright inquisitive eyes and handsome heads...good length...plenty of leg...and were very well-proportioned. Overall they made excellent first impressions...and had athletic (and sturdy) looks about them...with none appearing to even hint the look of a lightweight.

I've been a fan of Full Mandate as a young stallion for some time now...but if I didn't like what I saw (in his foals)...or had some early concerns...I'd share my thoughts. Reality is...I was impressed with what I've seen so far.

I suggest that Full Mandate might be a horse worthy of your serious consideration...and Omega Code also, if a first year stallion is something you might consider. He could fly...and looks like quite the athlete...and he's dead-on correct up-front.

Best to you.

Respectfully

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:15 pm

hi DreamersPrincess

Full Mandate (by A.P. Indy) in Florida has the Slew...Buckpasser...and Northern Dancer/Deputy Minister that you might be looking for.

He was bred to approx 150 mares his first year at stud (2004)...and is apparently an exceptional breeding horse. The "buzz" surrounding Full Mandate was very loud his first season but arguably may now take a backseat to Omega Code (the extremely fast son of Elusive Quality out of a Deputy Minister mare that stands in the same barn as Full Mandate).

I expect that offspring by both will be very well received at the sales.

If the Slew...Buckpasser...Northern Dancer that Full Mandate offers appeals to you...you might consider this. I suggest he is an absolute knockout...and difficult to flaw. Photographs don't do him justice...I suggest he's an eyeful...a WOW kinda horse.

And I've seen several of his foals already. Each was very good size...had deep strong hips...and front ends that look as normal and correct as one might hope to see on very young foals.

They had bright inquisitive eyes and handsome heads...good length...plenty of leg...and were very well-proportioned. Overall they made excellent first impressions...and had athletic (and sturdy) looks about them...with none appearing to even hint the look of a lightweight.

I've been a fan of Full Mandate as a young stallion for some time now...but if I didn't like what I saw (in his foals)...or had some early concerns...I'd share my thoughts. Reality is...I was impressed with what I've seen so far.

I suggest that Full Mandate might be a horse worthy of your serious consideration...and Omega Code also, if a first year stallion is something you might consider. He could fly...and looks like quite the athlete...and he's dead-on correct up-front.

Best to you.

Respectfully