Inbreeding female lines

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

jrgators
Starters Handicap

Inbreeding female lines

Postby jrgators » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:42 am

Good afternoon,

I have a question for the group on this issue.

I have a mare Surprise Fortune....I have her in foal to Lil's lad due to foal any day now.

The inbreeding to Killaloe was the biggest factor in some regards to the pairing, however, I really like the concept, and believe( In theory at least) that this is a good idea, and works.

I have bred another mare on the same type of mindset...foal is preaching sister you can look her up on her too....she's inbred to Thong.

I am thinking of breeding surprise to Magic Cat to keep the Killaloe thing going......

What's been you guys experience with inbreeding like this, and your opinions.

Thanks,
Theo

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:45 pm

I reallly like the idea of inbreeding to superior mares, providing the physical and others factors work as well. The two mares I've doubled up on so far are Weekend Surprise and Lassie Dear. I lost one of those this year (foal was born dead) but will be trying a lightly different version for 2010. None are old enough yet to know how they'll do on the track, but I'm really looking foward to seeing what happens.

ct2346
Starters Handicap

Postby ct2346 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:24 pm

I'm not sure that I would try it with Killaloe. John Nerud tried close in inbreeding of Killaloe in NY with L'Enfant his mare which was eventually unloaded. It did not work out too well. Perhaps there are successful examples of this particular attempt...but this example...by the man that used to train her if I recall correctly, didn't work out too well.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:36 pm

You'll find a lot of support in Rommy Farershou & Leon Rasmussu's "Inbreeding to Superior Females"

I have a 2009 colt [Griffin's Folly] that is 3S x 3D to Numbered Account and he is very nice.

There is also a very nice filly running in NJ named Love For Not that is also 3S x 3D to Numbered Account

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:10 pm

One of my watches has been Brendolyn. She's a nice race mare, managed very well. Her 1st, 2nd dams were unraced (if db here is correct) but 3rd dam is Mississippi Mud. Knockodoon, by Dixieland Band is her sire making her 3X3 Mississippi Mud. I'll be very curious to see who she is bred to after retirement. Brendolyn to Indy Mood would be real interesting :D

Roguelet

Postby Roguelet » Fri May 01, 2009 3:53 am

We bought two mares specifically for the purpose of trying the Rasmussen Factor breeding; one for each stallion. One mare will produce a foal with the Rasmussen Factor breeding through Shenanigans when bred to Private Lap (that foal was due 2 days ago but hasn't made an appearance yet) and the other mare will produce a foal with the Rasmussen Factor breeding through the appearance of Somethingroyal on four occassions, through three of her finest offspring, when bred to Indy Mood (that foal will arrive in 2010.)
"Don't be a boorish buffoon" -Hokies Respect 'Jerk Alert'

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Fri May 01, 2009 10:51 am

Rogulet

Pull up eNick's mare match and look at Hot Concern with KY stallions. She loves A.P Indy stallions.

griff

jrgators
Starters Handicap

THANK YOU!

Postby jrgators » Sun May 03, 2009 2:55 pm

Thanks for all of the input....

i have yet to find a reason NOT to try it.

But I appreciate the input.

I think the mating of Magic Cat and Surprise Fortune would work very well too....The Storm Cat--Gone West works anyways, and I could get the RF as a bonus.

Theo

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Bill from WA » Sun May 10, 2009 7:14 am

Look at this pedigree, and note Unbridled's inbreeding to Aspidistra. This is one tough, hard knocking individual, bred by Gainesway Farm utilizing very close inbreeding to Killaloe.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/index.php? ... _font=1&l=

Bill
Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly.

Langston Hughes

jagger
Grade III Winner

superior females

Postby jagger » Sun May 10, 2009 9:10 am

Check out Quiet American, Unbridled and his brother (full), Cahill Road.

Inbreeding to Somethingroyal has produced a GSWer 60 times. Natalma, Northern Dancer"s mom, 253 times.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Mon May 11, 2009 5:33 am

How many GSWers has in-breeding to Gold Digger produced??

griff

jagger
Grade III Winner

gold digger

Postby jagger » Mon May 11, 2009 5:41 am

I'm at work now, griff, and my Goldmine database is on my home computer. I should be able to post the results by afternoon at the latest.

jrgators
Starters Handicap

Postby jrgators » Tue May 12, 2009 6:31 pm

I greatly appreciate all of the conversation from so many.

I haven't decided what I am going to do, but right now, my plan is to cut way down on my stock, and maybe wait do some praying for slots in Texas.

I again, appreciate all of the input.

Theo

Roguelet

Postby Roguelet » Wed May 13, 2009 4:45 am

Roguelet wrote:.... One mare will produce a foal with the Rasmussen Factor breeding through Shenanigans when bred to Private Lap (that foal was due 2 days ago but hasn't made an appearance yet) ......

Well, my little RF through Shenanigans baby arrived last night at 11:30. I'm pretty excited about this cross... of course we won't know for several years whether it was a good idea or not. :lol:

"Don't be a boorish buffoon" -Hokies Respect 'Jerk Alert'

merse
Allowance Winner

Postby merse » Wed May 13, 2009 4:06 pm

Well, my little RF through Shenanigans baby arrived last night at 11:30

Well? Colt or filly?