101 Questions...

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

yukidragon
Starters Handicap

101 Questions...

Postby yukidragon » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:11 pm

First one would be...
I have a mare from the female- tail 19b .
This family has'nt done anything "Big" since Lalun an Nasrullah made Never Bend.
When I go back to Be Faithful an Blood Root both where bred from the Domino- lines.
Lalun came from Tourbillion/Ksar sire- line.

Do I hunt for what worked in past female-tail or bred to what works for her sire-line?
Or hunt for Never Bend in the sire-line.

Next question is
" when a breeder does not have a mare whose own female family is superior in its first two or three generations, he can strengthen that family by inbreeding to the best mares in her pedigree."

Is that in Female- Tail or is that pick a Blue Hen mare in her pedigree an start from there?

My next question is" The Seattle Slew- Mr. Prospector Cross" is...the double of Myrtlewood at work ...or something else?

Thats about all questions I have for now.
If you can answer one or all Thanks alot :D

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Re: 101 Questions...

Postby Pan Zareta » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:12 pm

yukidragon wrote:First one would be...
Next question is
" when a breeder does not have a mare whose own female family is superior in its first two or three generations, he can strengthen that family by inbreeding to the best mares in her pedigree."

Is that in Female- Tail or is that pick a Blue Hen mare in her pedigree an start from there?

Generally, 'pick a Blue Hen'. Is your mare from the Bloodroot branch? If so it might be worthwhile to consider inbreeding to something in her tail female.

yukidragon
Starters Handicap

Postby yukidragon » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:15 pm

Yes she's from Bloodroot's branch.
Ive found 1by Seattle Song's son's "Perforce" that would go good with "Nurse me too".
That has the same female-tail.
He's so far away Arizona.

KAL
Starters Handicap

Postby KAL » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:47 pm

If you don't think 19b has done much since Lalun (Never Bend), you are not doing much research.

There may not be any "super big" horses, but this family is dripping with stakes winners at every turn. Unfortuately, many of these families were whisked abroad, or their better runners taken abroad.

Such more recent stars as Electronic Unicorn and Blushing K.D. are found in this family, and if given time, I could name several more (in fact, one of Secretariat's Grade or Group I winning sons hails from this family.

Also, some rather successful runners, and a certain leading sire, would probably take offense that you left out Never Bends 1/2 brother Bold Reason.

Anyway, since Lalun (or Bloodroot) are probably several generations back in the pedigree, it is probably pretty important to see what you have to work with up close. Or, possibly more important, to see what limitations the "up close" generations bring.

It is going to be difficult to find a quality Never Bend line sire, at least in North America. The only one which comes to mind is Worldly Manner, but I am pretty wiped-out, so the brain may be operating with little efficiency.

Since Lalun herself had success (or, more correctly, influential success) when bred to a Nasrullah, and Turn-to line stallion, and in turn, subsequent success was found with the introduction of Northern Dancer, there may be a multitude of possibilities. On the other hand, personally, it sounds as if the quality of blood may be there, so conformation and type may be as important as anything else.

I would look for the stallion with the best physical fit, who had the race record I could most respect, and whose pedigree contained no "limitations", while containing as much strength as possible, while fitting into your budget. I think you'll find that this family tends to pretty much be able to go with everything. Of course, I probably wouldn't mind seeing a duplication of Lalun or Bloodroot, if it came as a side note to the factors listed above.

Good luck!

yukidragon
Starters Handicap

Postby yukidragon » Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:51 am

Kal, thanks for your input. :D

Your hit the nail on the head about them being whisked abroad.

I did'nt list every winner like No Robbery,Rocking Trick,Stark Ridge etc...

Electronic Unicorn is listed as gelding.
an his sister BLUSHING K D is listed as dead at the age of 5.
:(

Budget an distance is the biggiest factors this year.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:42 am

If you like Rocking Trick he's next door in Kentucky at $3,500

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

yukidragon
Starters Handicap

Postby yukidragon » Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:53 am

Rocking Trick a bit too high for me.
Physically Stark Ridge is impressive for $1000.
Carries Large Heart from the female- tail.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:28 am

nice pedigree, and where is he standing?

Also, have you considered the WV Bred incentives? If you like to swing for the fence there are some nicely bred stallions over there in your price range and the state's added money incentives might make your foal more commercial.

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:24 am

With Seattle Slew and Mr. Prospector, you actually have a couple of things at play besides Myrtlewood, who is of course the t/f ancestress of both sires. SS contributes another line to Myrtlewood's dam *Frizeur via Jet Pilot, whose son Jet Action was the sire of SS's second dam. There's also some line breeding to Blue Larkspur and *Nasrullah going on. I suspect there's a fair buildup of both Domino and *Teddy in the background, but I haven't really looked at it in-depth; too many other projects in progress.
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

louis finochio
Darley line

Postby louis finochio » Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:24 am

To Yuki: If the female family has been dormant since the days of Never Bend, its time to abandon the ship. You must weed your garden to up grade your breeding program.

Find a sire that is for the small breeder and has a currently productive female family, that is producing the goods. Its better than trying to bring back a dead horse.

I have to go to work, I'll give you a reply later on your other ?
Those without sin cast the first stone.
Louis Finochio

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Bill from WA » Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:19 am

Hi

Family 19b (Conduit, Sunshot) hasn't exactly been dormant. Some stallions from that family are: Consigliere (WA), Fortunate Prospect (FL), Mecke (FL), and Open Forum (TX). Lots of good solid stakes winners still around from this family.

Bill
Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly.

Langston Hughes

KAL
Starters Handicap

Postby KAL » Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:37 am

... also to tie this together with another post... February Storm is a 19b.

TomFool
Allowance Winner

Postby TomFool » Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:51 am

I am in total agreence with Kal in sure having Be Faithful is important but that was a long time ago & you have to look at how your mare was built from that point on & what postive & or negative influences were brought in & if you have something worth working with now. I'm assuming your mares 1st & 2nd dams are pretty inactive with you mentioning linebreeding to the stronger points being on back. What is your mares name & can give you better advice on possiable matings with her? A horse I mentioned in an above post is from this family, February Storm through very good sources IMO. He is a half to the fore mentioned Blushing KD & Electronic Unicorn. We all know what inbreeding to Lalun in Europe has done via Bold Reason through Sadlers Wells & Never Bend through Mill Reef but in my past research I found just a short handful of stakes winners through others sources of Never Bend & Bold Reason but of course it has not been produced as much & with limited talent & producing horses as well.

yukidragon
Starters Handicap

Postby yukidragon » Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:51 pm

Lost in the fog is another 19b :D
Tom Fool her name is "nurse me too"

yukidragon
Starters Handicap

Postby yukidragon » Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:59 pm

Mahubah Thank you,
I thought Myrtlewood had something big to that cross.

Griff-I was looking at a Domino -line in WV.
but Im being haunted by a Slew O Gold son thats in the back yard so to speak.
P Fifty One.
Who has 1 Mr.Prospector cross winner.
Ive seen him few years ago he's throwing straight sport horse foals.