Mating Analysis

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

Opti-Mate
Weanling

Mating Analysis

Postby Opti-Mate » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:09 pm

Friends Lake - Cut A Check, by Polish Numbers

Any insightful opinions?

Thanks!
Breed a true racehorse, not an expensive pet!

henthorn
Eclipse Champion

Postby henthorn » Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:15 am

Opti-Mate, I don't know how insightful it will be, but I do like the crosses out of Bebop of Stepping High and Bebopper, as well as the Buckpasser top and bottom. A.P. Indy works well with Danzig as broodmare sire--Festival of Light comes to mind.
Rocking H

TomFool
Allowance Winner

Postby TomFool » Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:39 am

I have not even looked at this mating so I cant be very insightful but I'm just not a fan of Friends Lake. I bet him when he won the FL Derby at longshot odds but that was just because he was out of Antespend. I may be wrong but I not high on sons of AP Indy & cant figure out how Jones come to 15k on this horse.

Opti-Mate
Weanling

Postby Opti-Mate » Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:29 pm

TomFool,

Are you not a fan because A.P. Indy's are two-turn horses and can't be spun into losing 2YO pinhook options now?

henthorn
Eclipse Champion

Postby henthorn » Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:29 pm

Opti-Mate, I saw Friend's Lake when he was just letting down from the track at the stud farm. He was getting the run of the round pen, and was all covered with straw and mud. Nice, well-proportioned mid-sized horse. I liked him, and his racing career never really got off the ground as a three year old before he retired. Soundness would be my concern if any, but he should run all day. His best Ragozin number was as a 2yo at a mile. If his progeny are not pushed too early, he should produce major winners as older horses. His South American dam's side doesn't worry me, as they are quality mares.
Rocking H

Opti-Mate
Weanling

Postby Opti-Mate » Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:04 pm

I totally agree! The Spend A Buck strain separates him from the rest of the A.P. Indy's. I feel that alone will make him a greater than average racehorse sire because it dilutes most intense linebreeding. The connections of Declan's Moon have reported in and they are terribly upset that the sons of A.P. Indy are no good!

TomFool
Allowance Winner

Postby TomFool » Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:10 am

Opti-Mate with all due respects to your thoughts & opinions I just am not too keen on many AP Indys. Most of them just to me seem to be too one paced types even probley his best son in champion Mineshaft didnt have speed nor an explosive turn of foot. He could run no doubt but was a single paced horse. Friends Lake to me just never seemed to be a quality enough horse for 15k but I have been wrong before & may be wrong on him but thats just my opinion. Old Trieste I thought had the best chance to make it as a sire but we will never know. Declans Moon no doubt is a racehorse but I think his pedigree will start to become more true this 3 year old season. I guess you guys can tell I am a little anti Seattle Slew sire line as I think its just barley holding on & is breeding its way out.

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Bill from WA » Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:07 am

Shhhh!

Please don't leak the word to anyone out here in Washington that the Slew line is on the way out. Seattle Slew sons, Slewdledo and He's Tops are going strong, with Slewdledo leading the way for several years now. Kentucky Lucky, another Slew son has been brought in to take over for Slewdledo when he calls it quits. Matricule, a son of AP Indy, is off to a great start. Sons and daughters of these stallions are competitive all over the nation. I think it's a little early to start posting obituaries.

Respectfully

Bill
Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly.

Langston Hughes

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:18 am

This is an interesting mating, though some might be a little wary of the Buckpasser inbreeding due to the knee and feet problems known to be associated with that sire. I ran one of Bill's Conduit Mar profiles and it's actually a pretty nice balance (7-3-7-5-7) with an index of 0.92 and a speed/stamina rato of 0.82. Should like a distance, but not be devoid of foot if I'm interpreting this right.
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Bill from WA » Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:04 pm

Hi Mahubah

Good interpretation.

Bill
Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly.

Langston Hughes

BenB
Sophomore Sire

mating advice

Postby BenB » Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:24 pm

In our country we did have had some time ago a buckpasser, man in the moon. Who did well, but gave indeed a lot of troubles.
Most of the progency did not last long. Just up to derby day, and then broke down. Knee problems, feet standing out ( very much) feet,s like goats etc
Using him more than once in a mating, is asking for troubles in my humble
opinion.

Ben