Breeding Suggestion

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

Ruffian
Starters Handicap

Breeding Suggestion

Postby Ruffian » Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:04 pm

New mare-

ABBY GOA (DR DEVIOUS x SPRING REEL (MILL REEF))...

Thoughts for a mating in Europe anyone?

jellac
Grade I Winner

Postby jellac » Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:00 pm

First off, and especially for racing in Europe I'd take a look at Green Forest or another good son of Danzig standing there in the hopes of getting one a la SHINKO FOREST, others of this cross that have gone on to GSW. I can honestly say I don't know "why" this Danzig on top Ahonoora daughters seems to work but it does account for more than one MGSW horse, worldwide. May or may not do as well with the DR. DEVIOUS daughters but they are so recently gone on to breed it's hard to say if that's evidence of an absense or absense of any evidence.

louis finochio
Darley line

Postby louis finochio » Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:23 pm

When the BMS daughters were bred to Dr. Devious that were grandsons or great grandsons of Northern Dancer superior nicks were the result.

Therefore seek a stallion that is from a grandson of Northern Dancer, or a stallion that is 3X3 to Northern Dancer to breed your mare to.
Those without sin cast the first stone.
Louis Finochio

jellac
Grade I Winner

Postby jellac » Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:17 pm

It may just be that <some> Danzig sons appreciate a return to their sire's broodmare sireline, the sireline of "Teddy", in their mares.

Ahonoora bred daughters/grandaughters bring that through his dam, Helen Nichols, who traces tail-maile to Bull Lea - one of Teddy's great sire sons.

Danzig's dam, the great Pas De Nom, traces tail-male to Teddy via his Crafty Admiral, to Teddy's son Sir Gallahad.

llbean
Grade III Winner

Postby llbean » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:57 pm

Hi Ruff,

Do you have a stud fee range?

-llbean

Ruffian
Starters Handicap

Postby Ruffian » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:16 pm

probably upto around 20,000 GBP. (30,000 Euros)

But would definitely like to stay under for an unproven girl!

llbean
Grade III Winner

Postby llbean » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:53 pm

Ruffian,

A very interesting match-up on pedigree would be Arlington Million winner Beat Hollow; a son of Sadlers Wells from a Dancing Brave mare.

It would be 3x4 to Mill Reef through his daughters Spring Reel and Bahamian (and interestingly this would be backed up by a 6x6 to Prince John, a 3/4 relation to Mill Reef's dam).

But the thing I really like about the match-up is that Ahonoora has crossed with Sadlers Wells in the GI Producer Arvola (the dam of Diktat) and the Cheverly Park S (GI) winner Magical Romance; who interestingly enough also shared Mill Reef, Lyphard, and Sir Gaylord with the Beat Hollow-Abby Goa hypo. That Sadlers Wells and Mill Reef form a famous nick. And finally that Ahonoora and Lyphard (the sire of Dancing Brave) form a powerful nick expressed in American HOY Azeri and the additional GIWs Waky Nao, Indian Haven, and the GI Producer Dragon Pearl (the dam of NZ-GIW Maguire).

This is part of a wider love of Court Martial (the damsire of Lyphard), returns displayed by Ahonoora and his son Indian Ridge discussed by moi on the website of the Canadian stallion Legal Jousting: http://home.cogeco.ca/~kkocot/hillsidet ... index.html .

And to top it all off; the 5th dam of Beat Hollow was a English Champion 2YO Filly named Sixpence, who was by Ballyogan and from a mare by Panorama.

Ballyogan is also on the damline of Ahonoora's best son Indian Ridge and Panorama is in the 4th generation of Ahonoora himself. It is significant that a Champion 2YO filly (Sixpense) and a very important recent sire (Indian Ridge) share these two ancestors as it may indicate a nick.

Perhaps even more importantly for the Beat Hollow-Abby Goa match-up, both Panorama and Ballyogan (who are both found in Beat Hollow through Sixpence) reinforce Ahonoora's strong Sundridge/Sierra background (as does Lyphard's damsire Court Martial).

-llbean

p.s.

Another very interesting possibility is Beat Hollow's half-brother in-blood Oasis Dream (who was from a full sister to B. Hollow's dam). Oasis Dream is by Green Desert and that son of Danzig sired the Japanese GIW Shinko Forest AND the Excellent Miler / Amazing Young Sire Cape Cross from Ahonoora mares.

Keith
Grade III Winner

I would consider several studs.

Postby Keith » Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:59 pm

Hi, I would breed to a great race horse and here are a few that are available to breed.

1. Sakhee 15,000 pounds
2. Fantastic Light 20,000 pounds
3. Sulamani 7,000 pounds
4. Hernando 12,000 pounds
5. Sinndar 15,000 euros

Keith

Bettina
Allowance Winner

Postby Bettina » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:44 am

Hallo,
out of interest I looked back the damline of the abovementioned filly Sixpence. She traces back to Credenda (by Cellini), it turned out it's the same damline of the very successful German Sire Surumu. Another strain carries Marduk.

A research I did several months ago revealed his dam Surama has a lot of the Sainfoin/Sierra linebreeding (4 x Sainfoin, 3 x Sierra).
Opposite to his dam Surumu's Sire Literat has a Single Sainfoin/Sierra Cross, have a look at the dam of Birkhahn, Bramouse.

Best regards, Bettina