Advice: Candy Ride Mare

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

dray33
Breeder's Cup Contender

Advice: Candy Ride Mare

Postby dray33 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:04 pm

I am looking toward to 2010 season, and retired my Candy Ride filly because of nagging reoccurring issues that kept her from racing. She is a beautiful, muscular filly, who showed a lot of speed and talent, but a "funky tendon" kept her from progressing through training. When she trained, she was "it". She is physically spectacular. They told me looks alone might get her sold at a breeding stock type sale, but personally (and with this market) I would like to see how she is as a broodmare. I love her look, here's a couple yearling pics: http://www.foaltrack.com/FoalDetail.aspx?FoalId=6573

Anyway, as for breeding. Would love to pick a solid sire who's foal I can potentially sell, but wouldn't mind racing if I had to. Nice and strong, good tendons. I don't mind a new, unproven sire. I want to know who matches well with this type of mare.

She is: CANDY BUTTONS:
http://www.pedigreequery.com/candy+buttons

CS
Maiden Special Weight

Postby CS » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:49 pm

First and foremost - breed this filly to a PROVEN sire. The resultant foal will probably have two blank dams (with the dams being unraced and unplaced). The third dam will show plenty of blacktype - but the family is older and has not produced much in recent years.

I would suggest breeding to a sire that had a solid race record, produces solid racehorses and improves his mares - such as Langfuhr. They are not the most commercial, but he puts a runner on the ground.

dray33
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby dray33 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:32 pm

I LOVE Langfuhr, so that's a great start :D Thanks for the suggestion. What would you suggest if you were looking to sell the foal?

CS
Maiden Special Weight

Postby CS » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:12 pm

I think you need to try and focus on breeding an athlete that may do ok at the sale, but you would be happy racing. The market is really rough now on a page that will be like yours (unless you get lucky with an update). That being said, other sires to consider that have the potential to do OK in the market and are in a reasonable stud fee range for this filly are:
Yes It's True
Successful Appeal
Dehere

Be sure to get a deal. Also, please consider foaling this mare out in a regional market. You can still sell in KY, but as a breeder you will have much more upside with an Indiana bred, ie for breeder awards (as it stands now, at least).

ak1
Allowance Winner

Postby ak1 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:20 pm

Slew City Slew comes to mind as well for a breed to race with the possibility of being commercial in a regional market particular w/ breeders awards---as was said before, Indiana bred, PA bred, LA bred, etc.

I like the recommendations of Yes Its True, Successful Appeal and Langfuhr too.

Might also consider Disco Rico if you are looking in NY. I love his female family and how close up Round Table is his pedigree.

Enjoy the shopping :-)

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:48 pm

I'd definitely go regional with her, and try to get as much as you can out of it--e.g. Maryland sired, PA-bred, Delaware certified, or some variant thereof. The foal probably wouldn't end up a public sales baby, more the kind you sell privately, but having the regional program would give it more earnings potential than a KY-bred.

Some ideas, in no particular order:

Slew City Slew (foal out in PA or WV, duplicates the cross of Evansville Slew)
Disco Rico (love that line to Tentam, good racehorse sire)
Freud
Delaware Township (check out his record with Fappiano-line mares)
Indy Mood

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:51 pm

ak1 you and I must have been on the same brainwave!

Dray, if you do choose to breed in Kentucky, definitely check out the Delaware Certified on top of it. For comparatively very little extra money at the outset, you would be able to get another possible way to earn extra with the foal.

ASB
Starters Handicap

Postby ASB » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:59 pm

She's interesting with Mizzen Mast. You would get a nice rf to Mrs. Peterkin. He's getting good horses and his stock has been rising every year he's been at stud. He also offers some new blood to her pedigree.

I like the Dehere suggestion. He's undervalued but an athletic foal of his will sell. He gets serious racehorses and I think you're going to see his stock rise considerably with his new US crops just getting to the races.

If you don't mind more Fappiano, Broken Vow is really interesting with her. He tends to throw a lot of bone, and the CR's I've seen tend to be light on it. He's doing well when another line of Nijinsky is added as well.

llbean
Grade III Winner

Postby llbean » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:03 pm

Dray,

Looking at pedigree, Storm Cat seems to be a really good cross with Candy Ride as the VGS is 38.37 (based on 2 SWs), and the TrueNicks system gives Candy Ride on Storm Cat line mares an A++ Rating.

The idea of Candy Ride being a good cross with Storm Cat is reinforced by the fact that a Storm Cat son combined with a mare by Candy Ride's sire Ride the Rails to produce the Argentenian G1W Interactions.

This Storm Cat over Ride the Rails cross gets a really high VGS of 25.93.

Plus, Storm Cat seems to do pretty well with Pentelicous given that the cross gets a VGS of 2.47 (based on 4 SWs) and that there's a B+ Truenick Rating for Storm Cat and his sons on Pentelicus mares.
"What happened is merely a sample of what might have happened, weighted by probability."
http://www.venturageoscore.com/

Firebrand
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Firebrand » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:01 pm

dray,

What do you have in mind for the price range of the stud fee?

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:57 am

Dray--here's another I forgot.

Put It Back. Good racehorse sire, good price, and he has a couple of pedigree things that might work:

RF to Grand Splendour via Fappiano and Honour and Glory (has worked to the tune of Smokey Stover and a graded stakes winning Brazilian filly). Even taking the database with a grain of salt, everything in there of racing age with a Fappiano sireline bred to him has been a winner....Fappavalley, Roy, Rubiano, Defensive Play, Pentelicus.

Linebreeding to Lyphard, which has mostly been done through Ghadeer in South America. With the Lyphard and Blushing Groom of Candy Stripes, you also get deep linebreeding to Lady Juror, which works.

dray33
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby dray33 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:08 am

These are all great ideas, thank you. What Storm Cat son would you breed to, llbean? As for stud fee Firebrand, I'm not too worried about it. I expect there will be a reduction in fees and some deals. I want what's best for her, for a first foal. Can't see paying more than 25k.

llbean
Grade III Winner

Postby llbean » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:23 am

Cateinus looks like an intersting choice on pedigree.

He produced the SW Kathryn's Cat by being bred to a Fappiano granddaughter, and the cross of Catienus with Fappiano gets a VGS of 5.38.

Also, Cateinus with returns of Mr Prospector in general gets a VGS of 2.43 (based on 3 SW).

My one concern with Cateinus is that even though he's one of the few Storm Cat sons who improves his mares and he has a good 6.7% SWs, his % of GSWs is pretty low (at this point in his career at least) at 0.6%.

Another possiblity might be Forestry, given that he has a 7.17 VGS with Fappiano (based on 4 SWs) and a TrueNicks rating of A when crossed with Fappiano line mares.

It's a shame Forest Wildcat died last year as his pedigree match-up with Candy Buttons was remarkably good and even better than either of the above two.
"What happened is merely a sample of what might have happened, weighted by probability."

http://www.venturageoscore.com/

hpkingjr

stallion selections

Postby hpkingjr » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:40 am

Although Discreet Cat is unproven, he is a son of Forestry and returns both In Reality and Tom Rolfe without adding anymore Mr. P.. Shared Interest is a 50% equivalent to Fappiano. Another possible if you can get past the unproven to unproven issue.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/index.php? ... lor=000000

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:43 am

For Storm Cat line

Pure Prize
$12,500
Vinery - KY

His AEI is 1.83 with a CI of 1.36

As with most of the Storm Cat sires he has a low % of runners from foals.

TAPIT
$35,000 :shock:
Gainesway - KY
AEI of 2.80 with a CI of 1.54 and lots maybe to much inbreeding?

Stephen got Even
$7,500
Lane's End - KY

His best runner so far was by ROY (I want Revenge) and Roy was by Fappianno which your mare has twinkle or two of.