Quiet American mares

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

chop
Newborn

Quiet American mares

Postby chop » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:18 pm

I have two Quiet American mares that I intend to breed this year. Their names are Innocence Lost and Imogen Julia.

There are two stallions that I am looking at in Kentucky. Their names are Closing Argument and Flatter. The other stallion that I am considering is Hesabull in Arkansas as the mares are located there, and the one stallion that I can find in the area that I like.

Any opinions or recommendations are very much appreciated.

Thanks
Jarett

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:07 pm

Hi Chop, and welcome.

With Closing Argument, I assume you're trying to duplicate his SW out of a Quiet American mare? I also note that Lunarpal is out of a QA mare...looks good.

I like Innocence Lost with Orientate. She is from the Aspidistra family and has lots of that blood in there. Two of Orientate's three Gr-1 winners are from Fappiano-line mares (Tasso and Unbridled)...and Nijinsky II loves Nodouble blood whenever and wherever it finds it.

Flatter...eh, between the two budget-priced AP Indy-line horses at Claiborne, I like Stroll better.

In Arkansas you might consider Storm and a Half--particularly for Innocence Lost. If you're willing to go to Louisiana, Yonaguska also looks interesting.

chop
Newborn

Quiet American mares

Postby chop » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:29 pm

Thanks Kimberley,

Orientate looks interesting; I had no idea about the Nodouble and Ninjinsky II mix!!

Two other stallions that I feel that might work is Maimonides and Aptitude. Aptitudes numbers look pretty bad, but he is producing with Quiet American mares.

What are your thoughts on these two stallions with the mares?
Jarett

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Re: Quiet American mares

Postby kimberley mine » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:27 pm

chop wrote:Thanks Kimberley,

Orientate looks interesting; I had no idea about the Nodouble and Ninjinsky II mix!!

Two other stallions that I feel that might work is Maimonides and Aptitude. Aptitudes numbers look pretty bad, but he is producing with Quiet American mares.

What are your thoughts on these two stallions with the mares?

First a clarification: Both of the could work with Orientate, not just Innocence Lost.

Re: Nijinsky and Nodouble, Nijinsky seems to like the Star Kingdom line in general, which is best represented in North America through Nodouble and occasionally Green Forest. You see more of that cross down under, where the few remaining tail-male Star Kingdom stallions are clicking with Nijinsky. On top of that Nijinsky and Double Jay is a hot cross (Double Jay likes the Firetop family) and Nodouble is one of the major sources of him.

Going back to Maimonides and Aptitude, and this ties in with Flatter as well, I think there are better Seattle Slew-line horses for around the same price. You are lucky to have a pair of mares with nice lines in their pedigrees, but with open enough breeding to make for a wide choice of potential mates.

Stephen Got Even is quietly putting out some good horses, and for $7500 is a lot better value than either Aptitude or Maimonides. He doesn't have any Mr P and I see that his top 3 2009 horses are all out of Mr P-line mares.

If you want a bargain-value Seattle Slew, Slew City Slew is standing for $3500. Incredible value. Hard-knockers too.

Couple of others, not Seattle Slew line:

Dehere. His stud career got shot to hell and back by all the globetrotting--were he in one place only, he probably would be well upwards of his $10,000 fee. Worth noting that his best is out of a Rubiano mare, and he sired the runner-up in the BC Juvie Fillies out of a Rubiano mare. Actually, the more I think about Take Charge Lady (out of a Rubiano out of a Blushing Groom) the more I like him.

Cactus Ridge. Hennessy for speed, lovely Lyphard and Danzig and Sharpen Up on his dam's side. Imogen Julia has the Roberto, which loves both Danzig and Sharpen up.

Northern Afleet--sired this year's Oklahoma Derby winner out of a Quiet American mare.

llbean
Grade III Winner

Postby llbean » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:29 am

I really like the mating between your mare and Closed Argument.

The cross of Successful Appeal and Quiet American has gotten 2 SWs including the MG3W Lunarpal, and it gets an extremly high VGS of 59.1.

I don't like any of the other matings discussed nearly as much.

-llbean
"What happened is merely a sample of what might have happened, weighted by probability."
http://www.venturageoscore.com/

ct2346
Starters Handicap

Postby ct2346 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:09 pm

I will second the endorsement of Closing Argument for your QA mares. The success of Midst should provide lots of encouragement. I have a nice weanling filly by him and with his price drop to 5k, I would say its a good move.

However you should also try to stay on the AP Indy trail because of his success with QA. I'd consider Indygo Shiner....and see if you could do up a package deal with Hill n Dale.

SIXSAINT
Weanling

Re: Quiet American mares

Postby SIXSAINT » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:28 am

chop wrote:I have two Quiet American mares that I intend to breed this year. Their names are Innocence Lost and Imogen Julia.

There are two stallions that I am looking at in Kentucky. Their names are Closing Argument and Flatter. The other stallion that I am considering is Hesabull in Arkansas as the mares are located there, and the one stallion that I can find in the area that I like.

Any opinions or recommendations are very much appreciated.

Thanks

I just Nicked a QAmer mare lastnite and they Nick Super to.. HALO NAJIB gets u grade 1 Quality the likes of SAINT LIAM sire of BUDDYS SAINT 3yo 2010 KENTUCKY DERBY contender.. also we have MASSIVE DRAMA both in $$$ INDIANA$$... www.indianastallionstations.com

I am Bloodstock Agent Based in Fla currently in North Texas... It is EyeWash... Just like in 80's and 90's... ok Highs Lows... Ride the Wave.. ther eis Money out there..
www.starquine.com
Hello,look at my listings ALAAZO, MALT MAGIC, MASSIVE DRAMA, HALO NAJIB, E Z WARRIOR, ASPEN RIDGE... ** PASS INFO along....

I recommend you Breed her to either HALO NAJIB OR MASSIVE DRAMA in Indiana... Program is Excellent and i placed these 2 Stallion for ZAYAT STABLES along with 3 others.. You can Nick mare Free @ TRUENICKs.com

Contact myself If Anyt ..?? ok Also U can BId today until 8pm on Seasons for as Littlle as $250.. Yes $250 @ www.Starquine.com