Slew City Slew

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

ASB
Starters Handicap

Slew City Slew

Postby ASB » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:20 pm

Any stallions work particularly well with them? His broodmares numbers aren't terrific but they're decent enough.

I know Silver Deputy only saw two SCS mares, and the only one that is of racing age is a G1 winner in Pool Land.

It seems like the majority of his daughters' stakes winners are by Mr. Prospector line stallions and some Northern Dancer line stallions but considering they're all pretty much free of those two lines, it's probably pretty much all they were sent to.

mikec
Starters Handicap

Postby mikec » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:12 am

We have a SCS mare gettin' set to drop her Holy Bull foal in January. Might want to take a look at that !
Bring 'em back tired ; but bring 'em back sound !

ASB
Starters Handicap

Postby ASB » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:34 am

I'm about 90% sure I'm going to send mine to Pleasant Tap but wanted to check out some other options.

I love the inbreeding to Sunrise Flight that is provided. Slew City Slew and Pleasant Colony are two of only a small handful of horses that provide his blood internationally. From limited opportunity and an abbreviated stud career, he (Sunrise Flight) was a terrific stallion.

Pleasant Tap has had some success with Seattle Slew line mares but the only foal he has from a Slew City Slew mare is My Chickadee who was a very good racemare and graded stakes placed.

On the reverse cross, when a Pleasant Colony mare visited Slew City Slew, the result was a multiple stakes-placed winner. Although there is one foal by Slew City Slew out of a Pleasant Tap daughter who is unplaced. So the reverse is inconclusive.

My Slew City Slew mare happens to bring Graustark to the table so I get the added inbreeding to Flower Bowl and Ribot with the cross. I like it a lot.

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:58 am

Pleasant Tap sounds like a great choice for your mare.

ASB
Starters Handicap

Postby ASB » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:05 am

Yeah, as I said, created this thread on the off-chance there was an emerging nick I wasn't aware of.

I love the cross and maybe bringing together two of the best breed to race stallions in the country will yield something really good.

Pleasant Tap's son Tiago is of some interest as well, but I'm not willing to sacrifice this mare to an unproven stallion yet. Maybe if I really like the Pleasant Tap foal.

She's been bred in a regional program throughout her career to substandard stallions and managed to get a good runner. Hopefully a step up in stallion will be justified.

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:21 am

I find it really interesting when other breeders lay out the thought proccesses that led to the matings they chose. Thanks for explaining yours. :)

SIXSAINT
Weanling

Re: Slew City Slew

Postby SIXSAINT » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:17 am

ASB wrote:Any stallions work particularly well with them? His broodmares numbers aren't terrific but they're decent enough.

I know Silver Deputy only saw two SCS mares, and the only one that is of racing age is a G1 winner in Pool Land.

It seems like the majority of his daughters' stakes winners are by Mr. Prospector line stallions and some Northern Dancer line stallions but considering they're all pretty much free of those two lines, it's probably pretty much all they were sent to.

I am Bloodstock Agent Based in Fla currently in North Texas... It is EyeWash... Just like in 80's and 90's... ok Highs Lows... Ride the Wave.. ther eis Money out there..
www.starquine.com
Hello,look at my listings ALAAZO, MALT MAGIC, MASSIVE DRAMA, HALO NAJIB, E Z WARRIOR, ASPEN RIDGE... ** PASS INFO along....

I recommend you Breed her to either HALO NAJIB OR MASSIVE DRAMA :D in Indiana... Program is Excellent and i placed these 2 Stallion for ZAYAT STABLES along with 3 others.. You can Nick mare Free @ TRUENICKs.com

Contact myself If Anyt ..?? ok Also U can BId today until 8pm on Seasons for as Littlle as $250.. Yes $250 @ www.Starquine.com