Help me choose a stallion

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

jeff9061
Yearling

Help me choose a stallion

Postby jeff9061 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:40 pm

I haven't booked this mare yet, and am trying to finalize a decision. Any opinions will be appreciated. Check her out here:

http://www.pedigreequery.com/spotted+feather2

She is 16-16.1, and thick. Unraced, although I don't know why. She's correct. She has three to hit the track, all are stakes placed. Those three are out of Go for Gin, Najran and Stephen Got Even. The 4yo Najran colt was very fast last year, posting 92 and 97 Beyers in his first two starts, which he won by a combined 25 lengths. But he must have some problems, he's been shelved for almost a year with only some sporadic workouts.

On my shortlist are First Defense, Political Force, Badge of Silver and City Zip. Considered Lion Heart, but he's a little small and I'm worried about the physics of the deal. I am breeding to race (on dirt), however I would definitely consider selling a yearling if I could get to a more commercial stallion for something I could afford, or for a foal share. She's been approved to the Darby Dan stallions for the 1/2 breeder earnings deal, but don't think I'm leaning that way.

Any other ideas or suggestions? I'm not able to sink much more into this than the guys I listed above, unless I get into some sort of sharing arrangement.

Thanks for any opinions.

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:58 pm

I don't usually offer mating advice, but something you might want to consider is that your mare's dam's full sister (Mine Darlin) produced CRAFTY BEAR, a stakes winner of 250K when bred to Yonaguska. Just a little more information to add to the mix.

Welcome to the forum! :)

jeff9061
Yearling

Postby jeff9061 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:23 pm

Thanks. And that's a good catch. It's exactly why I sent her to Kafwain last year when he was still in KY. Further, I thought Crafty Bear might also explain this mare's Najran colt running so well/fast -- both Runaway Groom line. Those two influences led me to Kafwain.

For the record, I have a yearling colt of '09 from this mare X Najran (full brother to the 4yo, obviously), and hopefully a February Kafwain foal. The yearling has looked very nice from the start, but they can change. Anyway, short of hitting Yonaguska, which might not be a bad idea, I've got a couple bullets to this line already and there are not a ton of other good options.

Unbridled Song has worked well with Meadowlake in the past (Old Fashioned of late). Of course, they're just giving away seasons to him, but he has sons. Eddington has been considered as well. There are also a few females in this mare's pedigree I'd like to find lines back to. Just paralyzed between sticking with what's been tried and somewhat successful, or taking a few new swings.

Appreciate your reply.

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:44 pm

Have you considered Pure Prize?

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:07 am

War Pass, although untested as a stallion was a good horse from the Runaway Groom line.

Stormy Atlantic would probably be the best of the Storm Cat sons to go with the Storm Cat/Meadowlake cross that got Henny Hughes.

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:33 am

dublino wrote:War Pass, although untested as a stallion was a good horse from the Runaway Groom line.

Stormy Atlantic would probably be the best of the Storm Cat sons to go with the Storm Cat/Meadowlake cross that got Henny Hughes.

Stormy Atlantic is out of the OP's budget. Pure Prize has a lot to offer, I think, and is priced reasonably.

With this mare, I do like Storm Cat or somebody else with close-up Secretariat to capitalize on the Sir Gaylord on her dam line. The Stephen Got Even would work for that as well.

jeff9061
Yearling

Postby jeff9061 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:28 pm

I did consider Pure Prize last time around, but hadn't come back to him when considering things this year. I'll dig into him again.

When considering Storm Cat, I saw Tale of the Cat had produced a few runners with Meadowlake mares, so I went to Lion Heart, but fell off that wagon thinking he may be a little smallish for her.

I like the idea of finding Secretariat to bring back to Sir Gaylord. Been looking for that myself. Also Halo for the Nothirdchance.

Mare has a three year old of '09 out of Stephen Got Even who is stakes placed -- but still a maiden! Just ran Sunday at SA and came in second. That horse appears to be the slowest of her three to race. But I know we're dealing with a pretty small sample.

Other ideas I've had on the list are Zanjero and Value Plus. Both are economical. But all things considered, value should probably come before price if I'm splitting hairs over $5K.

vallygirl927
Allowance Winner

Postby vallygirl927 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 pm

I like the Halo line idea... Bummer they took Southern Image out of KY... (Although I'm quite happy about it since my mare is going to him next year.) What's interesting about the Halo line is that Meadowlake is from the same female family as Hail to Reason (Nothirdchance) AND Halo's dam sire is from the same female line as Prince John (Banish Fear) which present in Meadowlake's pedigree. What about shipping to California for Southern Image? He's listed at $5,000 but Rancho San Miguel already worked out a deal for my mare. Unless you can work something out for More Than Ready....

vallygirl927
Allowance Winner

Postby vallygirl927 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:50 pm

Oh and not to mention, CA farm rates are much more affordable than those KY rates....

tinners way
Allowance Winner

Postby tinners way » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:00 am

First Defence

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:19 am

What about Devil His Due for $3500 at Margaux?
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:47 am

Take a look at Bop and what he has done so far. Here's a Rafy son that broke three track records and tied worlds record for 5 furlongs in 54 /5.

Average earnings per starter is $35,881 and 16% of his get are blacktype.. Stud fee for 2010 is $2,500. www.osullivanfarms.org

Charles Town approved table gambling several weeks ago and Moutaineer was paying a 135% WVBRED bonus last year.

griff

PS: Check out what the average earnings per starter is for the other stallions you are considering.. A lot of the high stud fee KY stallions post large total earnings from 100 plus lots of get but do not really do that well when you look at average earnings per starter.

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:26 pm

Don't know your methodology for selection as there are so many ways to look at things. One thing I like to play with is the G1 Goldmine software that looks for successful breeding patterns. A number of the larger farms offer this as a freebie, so for example, you can look at Spotted Feather with Pleasant Tap (who I like a lot). The numbers show a 20/20 mating which is a good thing. If you look around you may hit a theoretical home run with a great match. In that case, the stallion owner might be interested in cutting a deal (although maybe not Lanes End).

jm

btw - i also think Devil His Due is agreat deal at $3500 and Bop may be a real sleeper in the mid Atlantic.
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

brogers
Allowance Winner

Postby brogers » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:36 am

Street Cry has done very well with Meadowlake mares - have you considered Street Boss?
Byron Rogers
Performance Genetics
http://performancegenetics.com
Keen Ice...Verrazano...Fontiton...Divisidero...Breaking Lucky...Hoss Amor...

brogers
Allowance Winner

Postby brogers » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:41 am

Street Hero might be a little more interesting for this mare...
Byron Rogers
Performance Genetics
http://performancegenetics.com
Keen Ice...Verrazano...Fontiton...Divisidero...Breaking Lucky...Hoss Amor...