Breeding suggestions for Honour and Glory mare

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

Pav
2yo Maiden

Breeding suggestions for Honour and Glory mare

Postby Pav » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:11 am

I was all set to send my mare, Gloriousexcitement, to Benchmark this season. I am reconsidering with the new addition of Papa Clem in CA. My mare seems to match well with Benchmark, but not so sure how she matches with Papa Clem. She is a complete outcross with Papa Clem, but Honour and Glory mares do well with Mr. Prospector-line stallions. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thx,
Pav

docjocoy
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby docjocoy » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:51 pm

If you have completed your research and you like Benchmark for your mare, I wouldn't jump ship at this point. At least wait until Papa Clem has foals on the ground and you can see what they look like. River Edge is a wonderful farm and will do well by you and your mare. Benchmark babies should do better with a return to dirt at Santa Anita. Papa Clem is interesting but unproven and for a small breeder it is too risky to take a chance on the unknown.

fastappy
Starters Handicap

Gloriousexcitement

Postby fastappy » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:11 pm

You have a lot of options with that mare including some very strong crosses to Storm Cat & Slew Stallions, as well as the Prospectors. You also get an extra cross to Almahmoud when going to the Storm Cats as she is the dam of Natalma (ND) and Cosmah (Halo).

Also H2R, not only being the sire of Halo is the sire of Reason to Earn, dam of Bold Reasoning, Seattle Slew's Sire.

I do like her being bred to Benchmark as well.

I really like her bred to my stallion (not soliciting on this), Thisnearlywasmine (Capote) with the cross being 4Sx4D to In Reality as well.

Both Tribal Rule & Stormin Fever (Slew on the bottom) would also be good choices imo.

Also I agree with Docjocoy if you are breeding to run, though the Papa Clems should sell well if (and that's a big if) he throws as Docjocoy says, nice babies.

Best wishes!
"He's by Damon Runyon out of a Don Rickles mare," Actor Jack Klugman

docjocoy
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby docjocoy » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:12 am

Good points fastappy.
Pav, you have a nice mare to hypo-mate with, you have so many options on paper. I'd also like to mention that while the "nick" looks good with a Relaunch mare and Benchmark, most of those crosses are due to the Benchmark/Bertrando cross, and River Edge has done a fantastic job of supporting Benchmark with wonderful Bertrando broodmares. I would never discourage any breeder from his decision, there are too many variables, especially in California where we usually get the sons of the great stallions, rather than the original. I think Benchmark stands on his own well enough, I just wouldn't be completely swayed by the nick which is heavily influenced by Bertrando.
Benchmark has a nice physical, the farm is first class, the stud fee is reasonable. If you change your mind at this point, go with a proven stallion. It all boils down to your doing the best you can, after that it's up to the racehorse gods, who are at best capricious.