Help me select a stallion

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:22 pm

griff wrote:Kimberly Mine

I believe we are on the same page. I don't have in stock in Bop but he is a good case in point in that his oldest foals were born in 2005 and started racing in 2007 at the earliest.. Since we are talking about 2009 stats that is two years of racing for about half his foals to race and one year for the other half.

In other words comparing the life time earnings for three and four year old race horses with life time earnings for 6, 7, or maybe eight year old horses is not valid; i.e., life time avearge earnings per starter definitely gives the stallion with older get a big edge..
griff

Griff--

I think so, too, even if we're looking at things in different ways. I am merely a strong adherent to The Mark Twain Theory (lies, damn lies, and statistics), and like to see statistics--which are unitless, valueless quantities in and of themselves--used intelligently. You have to look at a whole bunch of things to give any one number context. The skewed average of Real Quiet is a textbook example of failure of the straight-up arithmetic mean.

As you pointed out, having a stallion with lots of older foals can skew the numbers, but so can having a lot of younger foals, especially for a stallion whose get don't tend to perform well as juveniles.

Current case in point: Pleasant Tap. He has 789 foals of racing age, 91 of which are juveniles of 2010...nearly 11.5% of all his foals. Since none of them have started, his percentage of starters to foals of racing age looks comparatively weak at 67%. Take out the babies who are too young to even start, and it rockets up to 76% starters/3-and-up progeny. And since this is Pleasant Tap we're discussing, a stallion not exactly famous for getting precocious juveniles, that large crop will definitely skew his numbers downward for at least 2 years.

And FWIW, I quite like the Partner's Hero idea.

Bohemia
Starters Handicap

Postby Bohemia » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:07 pm

The reason I asked why Partner's Hero has suddenly been classified as a turf sire - stats notwithstanding - is because my broodmare is in foal to him, and I did not breed to him with the hopes of getting a turf performer. I bred to him because of his high lifetime average earnings per runner and because of his race record, plus the fact he nicked A+ with her (the nick was a nice bonus, not the main factor).

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:07 pm

and it's hard to skew 2009 average earnings per starter vs 2009 avearge earnings per starter

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Re: Help me select a stallion

Postby Joltman » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:56 pm

wgc517 wrote:Hi

I am looking to get some thoughts on a Pennsylvania stallion for "Sack of Rubies". She will stand in PA. If you give me a stallion name please give me a sentence or two as to why you feel it would be a good match.

I am looking at Wiseman's Ferry, Ecclesiastic, Fairbanks but would like to know your thoughts on these or any others that might be a match. Pa stallions only.

Gary

Gary, I don't know if you looked at any of the guys at Fox Tale Stud, but I particularly like Rubiyat. He has great conformation and has had some decent runners with very little opportunity. He was a promising 2yo before his career was cut short. Resulting foal would be inbred to Fappiano with a lot of great sires throughout the pedigree.

Last year Dawn was able to get some real nice mares to this guy and it will be interesting to see how they come out

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.