Mingun, Devil His Due, or Doneraile Court ?

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

drsamurai
Weanling

Mingun, Devil His Due, or Doneraile Court ?

Postby drsamurai » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:47 am

Three of my girls have boyfriends, help me decide on the last one.

I'm torn between these three stallions for "Rahy Time." Each offers something I really like and something I don't.

Mingun - Special through Miesque, upside potential of Lanes End

Devil His Due - full siblings Devil's Bag and Glorious Song, durability

Doneraile Court - cluster of Turn-To, Tom Fool, and Ghazni, may not sell well, but they run

I'm leaning toward Mingun because it looks like he offers the best pastern (which is her weakness, slightly long and weak).

Any insights or opinions are appreciated. It's time to go. Thanks.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:00 pm

I would go to Devil His Due just for the fact that he might not be around next season. You never know when these old sires of real racehorses are going to kick the bucket.

I have a mare in foal to Cryptoclearance this year - had ALWAYS wanted to send him one, got her in foal on one cover, and now ol' Crypto is gone.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

BargainBlueblood
Starters Handicap

Postby BargainBlueblood » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:53 pm

Are you breeding to race or sell? Devil His Due is a lot more proven than Mingun, and his sales figures are actually a little better than you'd think. I'd probably go with the old dude out of those three.
Michael Slezak
Bargain Blueblood
[email protected]
917.455.0693 (cell)

ct2346
Starters Handicap

Postby ct2346 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:25 am

Am kind of curious as to why you're down to all three - they all seem to bring in more Hail to Reason and more ND which you've already got present in your mare. Doneraile Court a bit more than the other two - too much in my mind.

I was excited about Mingun a few years ago, and went to see him (I was looking to double up on Special) and passed. So far, based on achievement I am kind of glad that I did.

So...if left with only one, I would add the vote for DHD.

But...if it were up to me - I'd add some Storm Cat up top to the Rahy on the bottom.

Good luck.

drsamurai
Weanling

Postby drsamurai » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:27 pm

Thanks for the input. I've pretty well ruled out Doneraile Court. However, I've thrown Parading into the mix. I wish I could make up my mind.

BargainBlueblood
Starters Handicap

Postby BargainBlueblood » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:35 pm

Honestly, Mingun's early numbers from his first crop are not encouraging at all. What is it about him you like (aside from his conformation)? If I were in your shoes , I'd cross him off my list immediately, which would get you down to Devil His Due or Parading.
Michael Slezak

Bargain Blueblood

[email protected]

917.455.0693 (cell)

BargainBlueblood
Starters Handicap

Postby BargainBlueblood » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:34 am

Who did you end up choosing?
Michael Slezak

Bargain Blueblood

[email protected]

917.455.0693 (cell)

drsamurai
Weanling

Postby drsamurai » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:20 am

She ended up with Parading.

I figured a good looking, GSW with Pulpit/AP Indy, Storm Cat, and Personal Ensign certainly has a chance.

His dam line going back to the 4th dam has produced 19 runners 19 winners 8 sw 7 gsw 3 gsp 14 bt. That impressed me.

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Mon May 10, 2010 12:30 pm

Devil His Due did his duty and gave us a gorgeous well conformed big strong filly born this past March 29. I am so happy I went to him, had been a fan of his for so long, and his soundness, racing career, and not to mention those gorgeous looks he has, well he passed them down. The racing part, we'll have to wait a couple years on that, but I have to say that the folks at Margaux Farm are all the nicest, professional and personable people you can ask for when breeding your mare to one of their stallions.

Best wishes on your breeding to Parading. :D
We will NEVER see another Ruffian......

drsamurai
Weanling

Postby drsamurai » Mon May 10, 2010 2:58 pm

Good luck with your Devil His Due filly. You make me wish I had gone to him. He his such a good looking stallion, but we're in foal to Parading and very optimistic.

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Tue May 11, 2010 6:03 pm

drsamurai wrote:Good luck with your Devil His Due filly. You make me wish I had gone to him. He his such a good looking stallion, but we're in foal to Parading and very optimistic.

This has nothing to do with Devil His Due, but our second mare in foal to him had a colt Monday night. It turns out the baby did not do well, as the mare in the past has had some issues with her previous foals, and :cry: :cry: I am so sad to say we lost him last night. He and his Mom were both brought to the equine hospital and everything was done to save his precious little life. When he started to have seizures we knew it was time. This is so emotionally draining, I mean I realize it happens alot, not every foal survives, but we loved him.

We will not be breeding this mare any longer; it just seems she has some problems being a mom. We were really hoping on having a son of the great Devil His Due, and who knows, we prob. will go back to him with my mare, who has his daughter. Let me tell you, that DHD daughter has a personality that is unlike any horse!! She is something else! Always gotta know what you are doing, is the first to run up to you, etc. We are blessed to have her, and know her little brother is running in Heaven now.

My best wishes to you with your foal.
We will NEVER see another Ruffian......

winds
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby winds » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:20 am

So sorry you lost your DHD foal. This industry has ups and downs, but the downs are horrible.

winds

tbrace
Restricted Stakes Winner

Devil

Postby tbrace » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:18 pm

As a breed to race sire, especially if you have a big mare, DHD is the best there is for the money. He does through a lot of small babies.