Looking for a Turfy Sire

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

ArchDandy
Allowance Winner

Looking for a Turfy Sire

Postby ArchDandy » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:36 pm

http://www.pedigreequery.com/media+luna10

This mare came from Los Alamitos running in 4 1/2 F sprints. Bred to go long and on turf, so I'm looking for Turf Sprinters. Got a discounted fee to Redattore last year- but we lost that colt, and Redattore is in Brazil now.
I've spent a few weeks looking at pedigrees/performace records seeking the most turf horses in a stallions pedigree. I like Poteen. Thoughts on him? Or different sire Ideas welcome.

docjocoy
Restricted Stakes Winner

Re: Looking for a Turfy Sire

Postby docjocoy » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:46 pm

ArchDandy wrote:http://www.pedigreequery.com/media+luna10

This mare came from Los Alamitos running in 4 1/2 F sprints. Bred to go long and on turf, so I'm looking for Turf Sprinters. Got a discounted fee to Redattore last year- but we lost that colt, and Redattore is in Brazil now.
I've spent a few weeks looking at pedigrees/performace records seeking the most turf horses in a stallions pedigree. I like Poteen. Thoughts on him? Or different sire Ideas welcome.

Poteen has had some success in spite of small foal crops. You might also look at Vronsky. He's also at Old English Rancho and he's turfy.
I have a distance turf mare and am also always looking for a turf sire with some speed. Others you might look at are Singletary at Harris, Del Mar Show (who has 2 year olds this year) at Diamond F Ranch, and Decarchy, Atticus, and Good Journey at Magali. A first year stallion you might want to keep your eye on is Dixie Chatter at River Edge.
Hope that helps a bit.

ArchDandy
Allowance Winner

Postby ArchDandy » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:50 pm

Thank you! I must be getting better with reading/researching, a good majority of the horses you suggested were on my long list of ones to look closely at. Although I had not thought of Dixie Chatter! Thanks again! This is for next year, so I'm doing all my planning/learning ahead of time!

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:52 pm

ArchDandy
Allowance Winner

Postby ArchDandy » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:55 pm

I have, the only turn off is that he is already inbred to ND, and my mare has ND through her sire. He is on my list of horses to see in person- as conformation match is just as important as ped.

My updated long list is
Poteen
Del Mar show
Good Journey
Singletary
Comic Strip
Lucky J.H.
Dixie Chatter
One Man Army

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:58 pm

Yearlings are selling very cheap right now.

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

ArchDandy
Allowance Winner

Postby ArchDandy » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:37 pm

You are so right Griff, I had mentioned in another thread that I was strongly considering buying a yearling. I've checked the results from the sales up north from me, and saw horses that got my interest for less than 5k. Plenty were 1-2k as well. Anyone know how much the Redattore's go for at the sales?

docjocoy
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby docjocoy » Sat May 01, 2010 4:31 am

ArchDandy wrote:You are so right Griff, I had mentioned in another thread that I was strongly considering buying a yearling. I've checked the results from the sales up north from me, and saw horses that got my interest for less than 5k. Plenty were 1-2k as well. Anyone know how much the Redattore's go for at the sales?

My guess is that you could pick up a Redattore at the N CA sale for under $5k. But you might give Dave a call at Harris. He might have one, or know someone that has one, that wants to sell and avoid the hassle of a sale. He will probably have lots of weanlings this summer/fall and you might be able to get one at a very nice price.