Help! I'm interested in what you think.

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

pam
Yearling

Help! I'm interested in what you think.

Postby pam » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:19 pm

I have a mare, Vercingetorix, with Seattle Slew and Spend a Buck in her blood. I have been researching stallions and using hypo-mating to see whether I should even attempt to breed her. She has great confirmation and loves to run, now that she's grown up. I've done a crash course on DI, CD, and GSV scores and (from what I've found) narrowed my stallion selection down to Announce (Mr. Prospector line) or With Approval (Caro, Buckpasser lines). Please could you respond. I want to breed a TB that is bred right and stands a good chance or not at all. 8)

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:20 am

I like Announce/Vercingtorix the better of the two. Mr P line over Slew line, and over Buckpasser line is a known good cross.

I think the Buckpasser in her pedigree is adaquate, and in the best position (on the bottom), and the further cross through With Approval wouldn't really add to the pedigree, the War Admiral/ La Troienne cross is duplicated already in Slew plus Buckpasser.

The cross with Announce gives a nice 3x6 cross of full siblings Monarchy, and her brother Round Table, not balanced, but it's probably a plus in the pedigree, sure can't hurt none :) I like it.

Jeff

Linda in TX
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Linda in TX » Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:13 am

Your mare traces tail-female to Vauxhall, the half sister to Chelandry, Forty Niner's tap-root matron. That family likes returns of it's own. Despite the distant convergence, Forty Niner is from a strong branch of the family and that could help to bring out the family's enormous class. Forty Niner's Grade 1 winning son Ecton Park comes from the same family, as does one of Announce's better runners to date.

Your mare has an interesting pedigree with more crosses than I can count to Prince Rose. A mating with Announce will bring in still more through two daughters of Princequillo (How and Monarchy, the full sister to Round Table).

Your mare's second dam produced durable, if somewhat unspectacular runners. Her kids started 43, 26, 69, 97 and 56 times without winning often but two of them banked over $450K combined. One was a Grade 3 placed colt by Black Tie Affair, the other was a blue collar filly by Cryptoclearance - both Mr. Prospector line stallions carrying lines of Prince Rose.

Another stallion worth considering with your mare is Littleexpectations in Texas. He's a full brother to the successful Valid Expectations. I like the paper match of LittleE and your mare for an assortment of reasons - too lengthy to go into here. Shoot me an email if you'd like to discuss LittleE's worthiness.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:29 am

Depends on where you are located and if you are breeding to race or to sell. I believe With Approval's book is full for this year, also...
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

llbean
Grade III Winner

Postby llbean » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:08 pm

One word:

Siphon.

-llbean

pam
Yearling

Sorry. I've been lost in computerland.

Postby pam » Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:23 pm

:oops:
Sorry, I haven't responded back to your comments about Vercingetorix. (Help! last response on Fri Feb 18.) I decided to check hypo-matings with more stallions. In my heart I feel it will be hard to beat Round Table/Knights Daughter. But anyway, my question is if you want to breed the best racing baby you can, is the CD the most important number you consider. I found one match with a CD of 0.00! I didn't think that would be possible. But, the GSV was 56.59. The stallion is Yoh May Kenta. No. I don't really think this is what I want, but I was curious as to what is the most important number to stick to. A lower CD or a higher GSV?

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:00 pm

Pam,
You might also want to consider a son of Danzig for your mare, she's got at least three crosses to War Admiral/ La Troienne in her pedigree, check out this article by Les Brinsfield.

http://www.pedigreepost.com/archives/Da ... field.html

Spend A Buck's 6th dam is Adargatis, 3/4 sister to La Troienne. With the La Troienne from Buckpasser, and Seattle Slew, you own possibly a very potent broodmare.

Jeff