Opinions wanted

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

Bohemia
Starters Handicap

Opinions wanted

Postby Bohemia » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:09 am

Here is a question I have been thinking about for a while. If a mare has a top, top sire but her bottom line is weak, i.e. lack of blacktype, would she still be worth taking a shot with as a broodmare? In other words, would her very fashionable and hot sire be enough reason to breed her? The mare in question is a winner, has good conformation, and retired sound. Thanks for your time.

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:43 am

For me, it would depend how weak the family is and what my plans were for the offspring.

To answer your main question, no I would never breed a mare simply because she was by a top sire. It matters too whether you are talking about a top racing sire like Street Cry or Medaglia d'Oro, or a top broodmare sire--more important from a breeding point of view--like Dixieland Band or Quiet American.

If I was planning to sell the offspring, I would never breed from a weak female family. If I was planning to keep it and race it myself, then my decision would probably be based more on how I felt about the mare and what she had accomplished. If she's a winner, sound, and has good conformation, there's every possibility that she might be able to produce the same. If that was enough for me, then I'd probably be more tempted to go for it.

Bohemia
Starters Handicap

Postby Bohemia » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:41 pm

Thanks for the input, lb. There are winners in this mare's pedigree, not a lot of blacktype. Wasn't planning on selling, just breeding to race. And thought I'd take a shot based on her sire.

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:56 pm

If you don't mind my asking, who is the sire?

Bohemia
Starters Handicap

Postby Bohemia » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:07 pm

Malibu Moon.

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:40 pm

Here are Malibu Moon's stats as a broodmare sire:

Malibu Moon is the sire of 47 dams of 44 foals, 17 rnrs (38%), 10 wnrs (22%), 2 2yo wnrs (4%), .87 AEI, 1.56 CI; 0 sw, Leading Earner: Jill Marie ($92,420). (from the BloodHorse stallion register)

Considering that MM is 13--and that he has produced 644 registered foals--it seems that relatively few daughters of his have been bred. I assume that probably has something to do with the weakness of the mares he was bred to early in his career.

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:14 am

The mtDNA follows the tail female line. If you trace this, what horses with this mtDNA have done well, and what do they look like?

If for example all the winners are sprinter types, and non-winners are long lanky distance types, it might be worth trying to find a mate that is a sprint type.

Free advice, worth exactly what you paid for it.

chicago78
Maiden Special Weight

Postby chicago78 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:56 am

Malibu Moon is a great sire, and for practically every year, he's had a higher stud fee and has been bred to a better group of mares. He's a lot like Dynaformer in that regard. In my opinion, he's going to make a very good broodmare sire, but many of his early progeny comes from weak families, so his broodmare sire record may be lagging for a while. I wouldn't hesitate to breed one of his daughters, but like the previous posters have said, without knowing the specific mare, it is hard to make a call.