Mating advice.

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

reedhill
Grade III Winner

Mating advice.

Postby reedhill » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:40 pm

Does a paralyzed flap get passed on to foals?
Last edited by reedhill on Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fireslam
Allowance Winner

Postby Fireslam » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:38 pm

Uh......pintos?

I never knew a horse could get beat a total of 95 lengths in only 2 starts.

reedhill
Grade III Winner

Postby reedhill » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:25 pm

Deleted.
Last edited by reedhill on Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fireslam
Allowance Winner

Postby Fireslam » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:33 pm

Oh thats even better. You definitely want to pass that on to future generations.

reedhill
Grade III Winner

Postby reedhill » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:39 pm

So is there research and proof that that is passed on?
Last edited by reedhill on Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:36 pm

From TheHorse Magazine:

There is a definite genetic component to this problem i.e if you mate a roarer to a roarer there is a much greater possibility of getting a roarer than if you mated a non-roarer to a non-roarer. Now the extent of this component is difficult to quantify, but it is a matter of percentages.
There are a higher percentage of roarers in some families. An interesting example of this is in the offspring of the legendary Sir Tristram there appears to be a much higher percentage of roarers.

I did a google search for "thoroughbred roaring genetics." That was accessed via the cache.

FWIW, Lonhro down under--he being a great-grandson of Sir Tristram, who is a son of Sir Ivor--is under scrutiny as a source of roaring. Fwyheye carries the Sir Ivor line on his damside.

reedhill
Grade III Winner

Postby reedhill » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:54 pm

Kimberly Mine............Thank you so much for the information without sarcasm, you must have been raised by good parents :wink: . I sure don't want to contribute to genetic problems and your facts fit the bill. Thank you so much!

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:41 pm

:lol: reedhill, you are so right about kimberly mine and her manners .. I was going to suggest you RTOW from a horse like that (run the other way) which is not nearly so informative nor polite...

Let's see... son of Unbridled Song who had yet more physical issues (breathing) than just the poor, unsound conformation typical of that line..
RTOW.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:56 pm

Reedhill and Madelyn, you are very kind. I'm much nicer on the internet than in real life, because I can stop and think about what I type before it comes out of my mouth. :D

Back to paralyzed flaps, something I came across in the brief google search was that the nerve that controls the area is quite long--runs from the uvula to the shoulder and back up the neck before it ties in to the spine. One of the articles describes a test performed by a vet, involving a simple tap on the neck on both sides, that helps determine whether the reflex is working well or not.

Sheer speculation on my part suggests that neck conformation, then, would be a major predictor in roaring, as well as injury, illness, or even a simple subluxation that a chiropractor can fix. The problem with nerve damage, though, is that once it's occurred, there is no way to fix it.

Either way I wouldn't touch Fwhyeye with a ten-foot pole as a racing stallion, or for sport, not when there are so many other track-proven, stud-proven, inexpensive stallions around.

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:38 pm

Sort of on topic:

In the Maturity and Breakdown thread in Racing, Shammy came up with a great article on horse maturity. Apparently the bones of the neck finish growing last. And damage can be done to the neck bones and nerves by rough head handling.

Sooo..

If there is a connection between a foal resisting a pull on the halter and roaring? If so is the genetic connection between the weak nerves, or between a disposition that causes the foal/horse to resist leading which in turn leads to nerve damage?

Was Sir Ivor or his offspring known to be bad actors?

reedhill
Grade III Winner

Postby reedhill » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:23 am

I also think there is the possobility of a horse's flap being injured during a scoping, especially if the horse is not sedated enough, or a vet at a sale rushes doing a yearling or older horse.

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:30 am

reedhill wrote:I also think there is the possobility of a horse's flap being injured during a scoping, especially if the horse is not sedated enough, or a vet at a sale rushes doing a yearling or older horse.

I've seen hundreds of scopes and never seen a horse sedated. And while there might be a slight possibility for minor injury during the process, I can't imagine how it would lead to paralysis.

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:28 am

xfactor fan wrote:Was Sir Ivor or his offspring known to be bad actors?

Sir Tristram, the super-sire down under, was known to be EVIL and wore a muzzle at all times. His son and heir, Zabeel, is tough, and throws tough foals, but they're not necessarily known as vicious.

One would think that the US tradition of ponying horses to the start, rather than hacking them out like I've seen elsewhere in the world, would risk damage to the neck. Certainly I've seen some where the horse's head is just about twisted into the pony rider's lap, yet the led horse's body was going forward.