Here is my advice:Stop breeding!!!

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:01 am

Some GREAT posts!

It is so nice to see there are others who feel that bringing lives into the world is a RESPONSIBILITY.

I, too, had a major, actually two, major catastrophes happen to me medical wise. One that totally destroyed my life as I knew it. I was given a second chance to live, and it made me appreciate even more the word LIVING. My beloved pets helped me to make the effort to get up on my feet again because they needed me, they needed their human to provide for them. I would never think to be "rid" of them as some do.

I would never think of bringing more lives into the world if you cannot afford them, and have them pay the price for something not their fault.
One needs to think of all this before they bring new lives into the world, such as the breeders do year after year. If you have the money to bring them into the world, you had BETTER figure on taking care of these magnificent animals for their lifetimes.

All you have to do is look up in the right corner too. There are some very nice horses going for really cheap prices, which worries me. I sure hope the owners do a follow up on any prospective buyers....
We will NEVER see another Ruffian......

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:56 am

Spex i'll be your opening act, 'cuz I got 4 legged kids to support too! And until I find that sugar daddy whos' gone missing it might be my next option. HAHAHAHA

As much as I rag on the equinenow ads (which I'm not going to lie, I Do something just for a laugh).. atleast the cheap horses up there are being advertisied. They are not just being trailered to Crowley's, Oneda(sp?), Camelot, etc etc etc.

Some teenager who may have $500 bucks and asks grandma and grandpa for an early graduation gift could get lucky. Or some breeder may see a horse advertised cheap that they once bred or owned and make the decision to call or email. Or better yet, one advertisement could lead someone to a rescue website and a donation or sponsership could be made.

Social Media is proven to help business, and even in the equine industry that is full of big mouths,, sometimes big ears lead to big hearts.

But i'm still going to talk smack about the Giant's Causeway OTTB for 60k.. :) It's not my market but to someone that maybe a great deal.

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:01 am

Hi Crystal!

I so hope you are right that the advertisements help the horses get homes!

Was there a Giants Causeway up there for 60? Didn't see that one!

Heard you guys got some nasty weather down there in KY, hope all is well with you and yours...

:)

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:01 am

Like I said majestic creatures lets all give up cow slaughtering.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4WtxKoal-c
Edited by Moderator

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:54 pm

Dublino, you must have watched Oprah today...

Honest to goodness, it was due to just the amount shown of the slaughterhouse there that made me not be able to eat beef again. I didn't eat pork either.

(Le Sigh) looks like its Boca veggie burgers for me now....gulp.

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:02 pm

erhrdt3 wrote:Dublino, you must have watched Oprah today...

Nope it made the six o clock news here in Ireland.

Oprah now theres someone ho knows about slaughtering.
She is one of the biggest beef barons in America.
Edited by Moderator

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:08 pm

hey Dublino, off topic here, but do you know that cute guy Frank Lyons that was on TVG? He is from Ireland.

..and is quite the cutie... :lol:

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:15 pm

Didn't you know all us Irish men are cute? :wink:
Edited by Moderator

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:23 pm

aww, I bet they are! And good cooks as well! 1/4 Irish here. But I'm not the greatest cook, that what we have the Irish men to do! LOL

Now Frank Lyons bringing me breakfast on a tray, mmmmmm :wink:

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:39 am

It's just the accent for me.. I don't care if you all can cook or not. There are in fact a large population of Irish in Lexington. I near fell over when a friend gave me her op of them the other day.. something about being compared to Oysters.. having to try to atleast one before deciding if you like them or not..

I laughed myself into another guiness and thanked her for being my friend.

Now, my morning thread hyjacking is complete.. go amongst your business and Dub.. have a happy friday :)

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:24 pm

Hell, if Lexington is alot Irish, I have GOT to move there!

Crystal, when I do, I have got to meet you!!

My helping hands are much needed at the farm, the yearlings we got at Keeneland are becoming quite the handful and the Grindstone we have is a B word! She chewed off the tail of her mother, a gorgeous chestnut by Spec. Bid! How dare she!

Why do the younger horses do that anyway?

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Postby spex4me » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:01 pm

Woohoo good to know I won't be the only Gyratin' Geriatric lmao!!

And ER you have a SB broodie?? Cool..... It is because of SB that I even ventured into this craziness of racing. My SB broodie is currently testing my sanity by cooking her muffin far far toooooo long for my tastes. Day 368 today....

Oh and you guys can take all the Irish accents I'll take Aussie any day 'mate !! :twisted:
trying to come up with something brillant..... this may take a while. :)

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:00 am

Hi Spex, yes we have a beautiful S. Bid mare, we just love her so much. She is getting up in age now so she is pensioned to live the rest of her days out on the farm. Her previous owner just kind of "forgot" about her, so my best friend/horsie partner who is also an attorney sent him papers to get ownership. Obviously he did not care about the horse, so now she is safe and sound. Sadly, she slipped a Street Cry baby-to-be a few years back. I understand she won a stakes race but can't remember where/when, etc.

She throws such huge foals, the last two my friend had to make a middle of the night horse E.R. visit to get the babies out. The last one she went to Grindstone since he is on the smaller side and still the baby was huge!

So, no more taking chances of losing this beautiful mare! She is the brightest red chestnut I've ever seen, and she has a off sided white blaze with red spots in it. Very unusual markings.

Does your SB mare throw huge foals? It seems that it was her and not the stallion that made the size of the foals. She just is too precious to us to take a chance, despite the pedigree, etc.

And, oh, I LOVE Australia too, would love to go there someday! The food looks absolutely delicious. Ay mate!

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Postby spex4me » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:17 pm

Lol well let's throw some shrimp on the barbie and talk all things Bid !! :D
My Bid mare sucked at the track, she is neurotic or I should say was. She needed a lot of hand holding when I got her at 10 and even though I was asking myself why did I get this horse many times she's an absolute doll now......could be hormones who knows. JK :lol:
She has only been bred via AI to a dutch warmblood prior to me getting her and that filly was huge and she seemed to do the maiden route like a champ, even going 350 days, so I am hoping the second time should be old hat to her now hahaha!
trying to come up with something brillant..... this may take a while. :)

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:33 pm

you guys,,, PICTURES!!!!