Mating Advice for two mares

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

tzarinasdance
Newborn

Mating Advice for two mares

Postby tzarinasdance » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:31 am

Hi All, I've always enjoyed the discussions and looking up the suggestions that people make for mating matches, so I thought I might wade into the mix. :D

I have two mares, one a maiden, one in foal, due in April. We are in Oklahoma and would enjoy a discussion on suggestions for these two mares. Would prefer to breed to sell at this point.

The two mares are:

Runnin n Rain (2005 - maiden)
Cut to Commercial (1994 in foal to King Karl) this is a breed to race baby

Looking at stallions either in Oklahoma. or in the bordering states.

Thank you!
A horse gallops with his lungs
Perseveres with his heart
And wins with his character. --Tesio

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Re: Mating Advice for two mares

Postby KBEquine » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:15 pm

tzarinasdance wrote:Hi All, I've always enjoyed the discussions and looking up the suggestions that people make for mating matches, so I thought I might wade into the mix. :D

I have two mares, one a maiden, one in foal, due in April. We are in Oklahoma and would enjoy a discussion on suggestions for these two mares. Would prefer to breed to sell at this point.

The two mares are:

Runnin n Rain (2005 - maiden)
Cut to Commercial (1994 in foal to King Karl) this is a breed to race baby

Looking at stallions either in Oklahoma. or in the bordering states.

Thank you!

This is a great group of horsemen, as you know. And I am sorry you are not getting more opinions.

Honestly, I tried to put together something helpful - I am in a regional program myself, but on the east coast. So I might not know your local stallions, but I DO know what it is like to own mares, breed locally & hope to sell.

The best advice I can give is that if you breed a mare to a local stallion this year, however much you think the foal will be a good racehorse, you might still need to be prepared to race the foal yourself, because right now the market is not good for regional foals. Until they get to the track, have their gate card, are ready to race, and have caught the eye(s) of trainers who've SEEN them work.

Alternatively, breed for conformation, temperament & size - because if it doesn't sell to a racehorse owner or trainer & you are not willing/able to race it yourself, it might sell (not for a lot of money) to a hunter/jumper trainer. And it still goes out & performs (even if in a sport where there are no breeders' incentives.)

One question - how did you come to pick these two particular mares? Maybe if you let us know what drew you to them, someone will be able to point to a stallion close to you that will complement them. I've looked at their paper a bit, at their race records & their sire's records & I'm not sure what information I'm missing to see why they attracted you. It could be that if I saw them in person, I'd say, "Oh. Nice." And completely understand the attraction.

So, if you could fill in the blanks for us, surely there is someone here who races in your part of the country who would see what you see & be able to advise you.

Best of luck, whatever you do.

tzarinasdance
Newborn

Postby tzarinasdance » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:49 pm

Thank you. I will try to answer your and perhaps others questions. Runnin N Rain is a gorgeous mare, how does one upload photos here? But it wasn't her stunning good looks that turned my head. :) Rain was suggested to me by a dear friend that has been my mentor in all things TB for many years now. She suggested I buy her so I did. I love the fact that this is a blistering fast mare. Ive watched her racing videos and just fell in love with her. In Oklahoma the QH is King. She is built to be a 6f and change kind of horse. And I thought her foals might do well here and in Texas. Things I like about her...she is from a very active female family. Her 1st dam has produced almost all runners and winners. I love her Secretariat influences and that she draws from him on both sides of her pedigree. On Cut to Commercial aka Cuddy... I absolutely love Hatchet Man mares. Shes not the looker that Rain is but she has produced some decent runners, one that has run out a hair over $100k and her foals have sold well commercially...but not in Oklahoma. And you talk about temperment and personality which she has in spades. Im really just starting out. Ive looked at Mr. Nightlinger for both mares and the gentleman who owns Reds Honor by Glitterman has expressed an interest in possibly buying Rain which I am considering. Hope this helps and Thanks Again!

cewright
Allowance Winner

Postby cewright » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:30 am

One of the problems out in this part of the world is the lack of black type opportunities. This means that many of the stallions fly under the radar as far as nicking and such. Some of the more successful breeders in this part of the world promote matching physicals instead. There are several stallion operations which offer appropriate stallions for the TX/OK markets and can help you. They include Key Ranch http://www.keyranch.com, Valor Farm http://www.valorfarm.com and Diamond G Ranch http://www.diamondgranchok.com.

Good Luck!

Chuck

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Postby KBEquine » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:05 am

tzarinasdance wrote: how does one upload photos here?

For the life of me, I can't find the thread that tells how to upload. But you open a free account at a site like photobucket, upload to there, and then you can link from there to here. Hope that's enough that you can figure the rest out, because it's pretty much all I remember!

And thanks for the further explanation - I think, per the suggestion to match physicals, it would be great to see pictures.

Fireslam
Allowance Winner

Postby Fireslam » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:29 pm

You are facing an uphill battle breeding these mares. I fail to see the blistering speed in Runnin N Rain's charts. Of course, its entirely up to you if you want to put a lot of money in these mares breeding them, but you might check Keeneland's sale today, and see what KY breds are bringing right now. If you are using these mares as breed to sell, I think you are in for a big disappointment.

tzarinasdance
Newborn

Postby tzarinasdance » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:50 pm

Oh and I originally bought Runnin N Rain with the intention on breeding her to Ferrara by Capote who stood here in OK. But he was laid to rest last summer from laminitis complications.

I know that RnR crosses well with that breeding.