Opinions on Lion Hearted for this mare

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

wgc517
Allowance Winner

Opinions on Lion Hearted for this mare

Postby wgc517 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:11 pm

I am hoping to get some of your opinions on Lion Hearted in MD for my mare Sack of Rubies.
I am in PA and will foal in PA. The reason I am looking at him is that Sack of Rubies is from the female family of 22b and so is Lion Hearted. Also, by mating to Lion Hearted, I will get the Rasmussen Factor to Relaxing. To me this is interesting. The AEI and CI are very close 1.29 to 1.30. Looking to race the foal.

Would consider other regional stallions but would appreciate your opinion as to why.

thanks

wgc517
Allowance Winner

opinions on Lion Hearted for this mare

Postby wgc517 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:11 am

I am bumping in hopes of getting someone to reply who is good with mating advice.
thanks

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:08 pm

An interesting exercise... after a few minutes of scouting around. In my view of these things I always look at the distaff side first.

I like the female fam - a lot. Recent generations show a lot of soundness. 3rd dam in that regard is great 11 starters, 11 winners, some with stakes quality. Back further there are some 100+ starters with 20+ wins etc. No BIG HORSE I could see, hence will not get the great attention on a Cat page.

But if you go deeper, you find tail female to Armada who was bred to Man o War no less, resulting in a Champion. What is most intersting to me on the ff side is Flota, dam of Sailor, who sired Whiskey Road who sired Strawberry Road. He appears in Elusive Quality's pedigree. Sailor brings in two occurances of Man O War. He probably shows up in other major pedigrees.

All that said, I would consider trying to inbreed to a superior female already in your dam's tail female family (Flota). TWo powerhouses with this one in their pedigrees are Distorted Humor and Strawberry Road. So I would look for something with one of these guys up close. Or even better, both. Quality Road has one occurrence. There may be a local stallion with such.

Just one line of thought. To answer YOUR question... Lion Hearted seems to be pretty solid for Mid-Atlantic, with 1.3 earning index, same for mares. 4% SW isn't bad either. Its an A++ true nick with inbreeding to Alydar and Buckpasser - two high quality broodmare sires.

Only real difference between your line of thinking an mine is that I was fishing for inbreeding to a superior female in your mare's tail female family

three cents worth

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:31 pm

one other might be Bold Executive (leading Can stallion in 2010) if he's still around, was at Gardiner. Has Sailor as sire of 3rd dam.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

wgc517
Allowance Winner

Postby wgc517 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:13 am

Thanks Joltman,

I didn't go back that far but that was very interesting. The family hasn't really had the big horse yet but they are hard knocking runners. I was trying to pull out some of the better dams and that is why I picked Lion Hearted. It gives me the Rasmussen Factor to Relaxing. There is a stallion locally that is our of a Strawberry Road mare. His name is Scipion. That would give me the Sailor cross you had mentioned. I will look into him also.
thanks

dkras
Yearling

Postby dkras » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:50 pm

I have a nice looking colt by Scipion. Audrey (@ Murmur Farm) said they really like the way Scipion's foals and yearlings look. He has his first 2 yr olds this year. Good luck! P.S. I'm breeding one of mine to Lion Hearted as well!