Linebreeding/inbreeding

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

vineyridge
Grade III Winner

Linebreeding/inbreeding

Postby vineyridge » Fri May 06, 2011 5:43 pm

How much is too much? Linebreeding to a single individual.? Would seven crosses to Star Kingdom in six generations be too much?

How about five to Nasrullah and three more to Royal Charger in six? With three crosses to Princequillo in the same span, how likely is one to get the Nasrullah/Nearco disposition? Far as I can recall, there are no other lines to Nearco in this proposed mating.
Thread Killer Extraordinaire

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:08 pm

if it works it is smart line breeding; if it does not work it's stupid in-breeding

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:55 am

Vineryridge: This is a very interesting topic. I bred Chesapeake Bay Retrievers and Irish Setters for over 40 years. Both breeds that I bred were from working stock and I believe that no matter which area of domesticated animal breeding you are involved in, there is a strong connection to the way all breeders think. Having raised hogs and bred horses also, I know that even with agricultural production there is connected thinking to non-agricultural breeding.

Of course, one of the problems with the terms "inbreeding" and "linebreeding" is that by definition there are often subtle differences.

Griff's post is somewhat simplistic but it might well be the most correct answer until the scientific community completes its genome study. For the immediate future though, Griff's thinking doesn't solve the problem of what do you do with wastage. You can slaughter a hog or cow, but that's not the case with canine or horse.

Here is a link that you might find interesting.

http://www.superiorpointers.com/pdf/Weh ... eeding.pdf

I know I have remarked on this previously in other threads, but I'm a believer that a little "attitude" is really good from the standpoint of the breeder. As John Hislop states in "Breeding for Racing," evidence of rank behavior is not a bad thing but he acknowledges that you have to be able to control the disposition. I can't recall any racehorses who had such rank behavior that they were not successful on the track and then at stud. I know that from canine point of view, fiesty and curious pups normally make good pointers and retrievers.

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Re: Linebreeding/inbreeding

Postby kimberley mine » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:51 pm

vineyridge wrote:How much is too much? Linebreeding to a single individual.? Would seven crosses to Star Kingdom in six generations be too much?

How about five to Nasrullah and three more to Royal Charger in six? With three crosses to Princequillo in the same span, how likely is one to get the Nasrullah/Nearco disposition? Far as I can recall, there are no other lines to Nearco in this proposed mating.

You can only get what the sire and the dam have. If both parents are well-mannered, the bulk of their immediate families are well-mannered, and the offspring of both parents behave themselves, your chances of getting a good citizen are quite high. If you ask around about the relatives and you find that the mare is the One Sane Member of the family, or the sire/sire's whole family is known for having loose screws, adjust the risk accordingly.