Crafty Prospector Line Breeding

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

griff
Leading Sire

Crafty Prospector Line Breeding

Postby griff » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:21 am

Prospect Bay X Queen Hypolita

Any downside with line breeding Crafty Prospector 2S X 4D..

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:02 pm

Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:42 am

thanks Joltman but I need another cup of coffee and a couple Cerefolin before I takle this again..

I'm a believer is limited line breeding to h great horses, especially great mares; just wondered if any results are in yet on line breeding to Storm Cat.. We are looking at a 3S X 4D and the two horses conformations a similar and good.

griff

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:47 am

Opps

wrong nick..

Looking at Prospect bay with Queen Hypolita for Crafty Prospecter line breeding

and

Global Force with Monster Imange for Storm Cat line breeding

griff

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:00 pm

I haven't read a lot of stuff by Lyons, but this was the punch line of the article:

"The lesson here is that, if the inbreeding notation on your pedigree printout says 2 x whatever, then just try something else."

Being that he is doing big time stuff in the big pond, I would tend to value his opinion more than mine. One thing (I think) he points out elsewhere is that certain things work but not necessarily with all 'sons of Crafty Prospector' or 'sons of Storm Cat' or whatever. In other words something coming through Giants Causeway (even in the 4th gen) might be more effective than say 2S to Storm Cat and that with another son of Storm Cat, might be a total failure.

will take a look at a few more ...
jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

casallc
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby casallc » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:42 am

This would be my only objection to line breeding Crafty Prospector. While he was one of Mr.P's most useful sires he was as common as dirt and marked his get with his jug head. There is nothing cheaper than an ugly racehorse that can't run.

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:32 pm

Griff I'm curious on why you'd want to send such a good well-performing mare as Monster Image to an unproven stallion who didn't even run out his allowance conditions.

Meadow Monster has the Vice Regent line, and foundation Windfields LOVES a return of its own. Just loves it. Instead of Storm Cat I would focus on that.

Wiseman's Ferry in PA has a line to Silver Deputy on his dam's side, a strong female family, and he has a winner of almost $70,000 this year alone out of a Meadowlake mare, who has been running in allowance company at Calder and Tampa Bay. Wise Dan aside, he's siring some good winners and it looks like his average earnings and median earnings of winners (not all horses, just winners) is $52k/$32k. For horses with two or more wins he's getting average of $80k and median of $50k.

Others in the Mid-Atlantic with a Deputy Minister line include Yarrow Brae, Defrere, Medallist, Deputy Storm, etc.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:10 pm

I agree that Crafty Prospecter was not a very good looking horse, and to top it off neither is Queen Hypolita..Actually they both seem to have the same ugly head, and maybe we should not do any 2S line breeding to Crafty Prospecter. On the other hand, while I like good looking horses as much as anyone else, my main emphasis is on racing sould had knockers in the future.

As for Global Force, this is his first year at stud and I like both his top and bottom, and all stallions, even Danzig, were once 1st year stallions.

We were looking at Lion Hearted for Monster Image and maybe that is were we should take her but a 1st year stallion needs some good mares if he's going to make the cut.

griff

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:06 pm

griff wrote:We were looking at Lion Hearted for Monster Image and maybe that is were we should take her but a 1st year stallion needs some good mares if he's going to make the cut.

griff

Fair enough.

FYI, Lion Hearted's average earnings for winners is 36,532, median is $26,600. For horses who won between 2 and 5 times, average earnings are $64,751 and median $53,068.

Regarding sound, hard knockers, LH has 25 foals per the database who have won 6 or more times. For horses with one and two wins, they're a 50-50 split between starting 5 times or fewer and up to 20 starts. Once they get to 3 wins and beyond, you see an average of 30-35 starts, give or take.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:24 pm

The first year stallion we will probably select for Monster Image is Global Force.

by Giants Causeway o/o a Mr P daughter who is o/o a Lyphard daughter who is o/o a full sister to Numbered Account.

Global Force does not have the race record I'd like for him to have but if he did he would not be standing in WV, or anywhere else in he Mid Atlantic.

And as I said in my last post all stallions have a 1st year, even danzig.

griff

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:46 pm

griff wrote:The first year stallion we will probably select for Monster Image is Global Force.

by Giants Causeway o/o a Mr P daughter who is o/o a Lyphard daughter who is o/o a full sister to Numbered Account.

Global Force does not have the race record I'd like for him to have but if he did he would not be standing in WV, or anywhere else in he Mid Atlantic.

And as I said in my last post all stallions have a 1st year, even danzig.

griff

I wasn't critiquing or challenging you in that post, merely providing information. If Global Force had foals running, I would do the same for him.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:01 pm

We'll get back with you in about 4 years; if I'm still here

griff