Danzig (Northern Dancer) linebreeding

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

Miesque
Newborn

Danzig (Northern Dancer) linebreeding

Postby Miesque » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:44 pm

What would you, hypothetically, think of breeding a Danehill x Fairy King x Rheingold mare to Teofilo (Danehill damsire)?

Danehill: 3S x 2D
Northern Dancer: 4S x 5S x 4D x 4D
Fairy Bridge: 4S x 4D
Danzig: 4S x 3D
Razayana: 4S x 3D
Nearctic: 5S x 5D x 5D
Natalma: 5S x 5D x 5D x 5D
Bold Reason: 5S x 5D
Special: 5S x 5D
Pas De Nom: 5S x 4D
His Majesty: 5S x 4D
Spring Adieu: 5S x 4D

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:34 am

I'm not sure about linebreeding to Danehill, but you also have full brothers Sadlers Wells and Fairy King to contend with. Those two might be brothers but at least in Australia pairing up the two hasn't worked as hoped.

So, is your mare more of a Danehill type, or more of a Fairy King type?

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:28 pm

KM

Can you describe the two types a bit?

thx

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:25 pm

Joltman wrote:KM

Can you describe the two types a bit?

thx

jm

Danehill--big, stout body; BIG hind end that I describe as a bubble butt, long legs that are light of bone, and occasionally back at the knee. Some of them have a straightish hind leg, not post legged but straightish.

Fairy King--kind of like a short squat version of Sadlers Wells, slightly downhill, lighter looking in front than behind. His body wasn't as heavy and he has more bone than Danehill.

Here are two brothers, the first by the Fairy King son Encosta de Lago and the second by Danehill, out of a Canny Lad mare:

Edit to add: Here's their broodmare sire--both these horses really took after their dam but if you look at the Danehill, you can see that bubble butt.

Canny Lad Image

For more of what I meant by big solid body and kind of light of bone, here are two more brothers, the first by Fusaichi Pegasus and the second by Danehill, out of a Marscay mare:

Two sons of More Than Ready, first one out of a Danehill mare and second one out of a Clever Trick mare:

Fairy King's best son:
https://www.jbis.or.jp/jbis_cgi/sp_deta ... 0000626942

Another son of Fairy King:

Millionaire son of Danehill out of Herbager-line mare:

Champion son of Danehill out of a Rainbow Quest mare:

These last two really show the long legs/straightish hind leg/bubble butt.

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:26 am

More of what I think of as the Danehill type:

Image Super light on the front end here.

A full brother to the one above, a good sire but not as good as his brother Image

A juvenile Gr-1 winning son of the super-light on the front end horse above. Image

This horse below is not by Danehill, but is a champion half-brother to the dam of both the above horses by a totally different sireline. Image

Millionaire son of Danehill

Champion grandson

Irish Derby winner

Champion juvenile son

Champion older male son

Here the dam was by a Danehill son. That butt! Image

Miesque
Newborn

Postby Miesque » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:17 pm

She's more Fairy King than Danehill, very much a smaller stouter version of Sadler's to the eye. Her weaknesses include poor front feet and a slightly straight shoulder.

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:53 pm

Wow some of those ARE light of bone. My weanling's are bigger!

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:57 pm

Miesque wrote:She's more Fairy King than Danehill, very much a smaller stouter version of Sadler's to the eye. Her weaknesses include poor front feet and a slightly straight shoulder.

Okay, the reason I asked is if she has good bone, then your likelihood of getting a horse who is very light up front is less than if she were a Danehill type.

I looked around and found only two Galileo foals out of Fairy King mares, none by Falbrav or Helissio. Neither of those two appear to have raced (one in Ireland, one in Australia). That's too small a sample size to really make conclusions. None of Galileo's top 30 runners have any Fairy King, although several have Danehill, Lyphard, or Nijinsky or some combination of those, and one has Nureyev via Stravinsky. Again, whether this is lack of success or lack of opportunity I do not know.

In Australia, Fairy King blood is best represented through Encosta de Lago, who despite having seen some nice Sadlers Wells line mares the best he could get were one Gr-2 winner (Von Costa de Hero), a Gr-3 winner, and a listed winner, whereas he has stakes winners falling out of the sky with every other common and uncommon bloodline he's seen.

I don't know if this answered your question but good luck.

Miesque
Newborn

Postby Miesque » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:52 am

I suppose I should admit she's in foal to Teo already...not by my choice but via my partner's stallion selection. I'll follow up with foal photos when she pops.