Jumptoconclusions to Balthazaar's Gift?

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

Maureen
Allowance Winner

Jumptoconclusions to Balthazaar's Gift?

Postby Maureen » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:03 pm

Opinions, anyone?

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:05 pm

Seems like there's a lot of inbreeding in the mare, so my sense is to go to some sort of total outcross. Balthzaars Gift has some inbreeding as well, but mostly to other horses like Best in Show - which is nice, and ND. Don't know much about BG, but the Euro angle may help. I love Mill Reef in any pedigree.

just a few thoughts

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

Mood Swings
Grade II Winner

Postby Mood Swings » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:16 am

Your resulting foal would be 5Sx5Dx5D - Mr.Prospector, a lot of Mr. P blood, however it isn't so close that I'd be too concerned. You would also be adding a second and third cross of ND blood, again though it isn't that close in the pedigree. Have you had any foals from her previously? If so, do they have any additional inbreeding? Are you happy with them?

AP Indy and descendants crossed with Mr. P and descendants have typically produced some nice horses. If they are a match physically as well then go for it.
Also both BG and your mare had many starts between them which is usually a pretty good indication of soundness :)
"People come and go but horses leave hoofprints on your heart"

Maureen
Allowance Winner

Postby Maureen » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:34 pm

This is a mare we retired in 2011, at six, so will be her first breeding. She's a huge girl-a true 17h, and solid. What we like about BG is the fact that he has run so long, without any medication, and he's a sprinter/middle distance horse just like our big mare!

Haven't made it over to see him yet, and he's only 10 minutes away. :oops: Need to get off my butt and get some decisions made. We have three other mares to think about, as well!

Mood Swings
Grade II Winner

Postby Mood Swings » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:04 pm

Good luck with her! She sounds fantastic! I love big mares :)
"People come and go but horses leave hoofprints on your heart"