Good old mare, last breeding and I'm stumped

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

FiftyYearsPlus
Weanling

Good old mare, last breeding and I'm stumped

Postby FiftyYearsPlus » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:09 pm

I have an old mare who been very productive named Kathy B. I acquired her years ago because her damside directly produced Bed O'Roses and Challedon and she's a granddaugher of Raise A Native.
Here's her record: 1) MSW colt by American Chance who ran an 83 Beyer in his first start and had a short career due to a chip; 2)Grass allowance filly by Pine Bluff who won $87K; 3) Grass/dirt allowance sprinting filly by Dehere who's won $67K with an impaired airway; 4) Full sister to the preceding who is very promising.
I would appreciate any thoughts that you could throw my way.

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:32 am

Option 1--Holy Bull, to pick up on all the Mahmoud.

Option 2--Albert the Great or his sons Nobiz Like Shobiz or Albertus Maximus. I like Nobiz the best since he is tail-female to Recess AND linebred to her, which your mare has through her sire. Both Nobiz and AM bring in extra Mahmoud via ND and Halo.

zinn21
3rd Year Sire

Postby zinn21 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:21 am

Subject to a good physical match, I think Leroidesanimaux is a fantastic stallion. I like Langfuhr too..
"Politicians should be limited to two terms, one in office and another in jail." Anonymous

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:33 am

I like Alphabet Soup, re-unite the Gray Sovereign from which he and Kathy B both get their gray color and I think sparks could fly, they are the same genes.

Alphabet Soup does ok with Raise A Native line too, and he won't be around much longer at his age.

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Postby KBEquine » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:29 pm

kimberley mine wrote:Option 2--Albert the Great or his sons Nobiz Like Shobiz or Albertus Maximus. I like Nobiz the best since he is tail-female to Recess AND linebred to her, which your mare has through her sire. Both Nobiz and AM bring in extra Mahmoud via ND and Halo.

I was thinking Badge of Silver for the Recess dam-line

ct2346
Starters Handicap

Postby ct2346 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:02 pm

Not sure exactly where you're located but I find Cetewayo interesting on paper for this mare.

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:03 pm

Jeff wrote:I like Alphabet Soup, re-unite the Gray Sovereign from which he and Kathy B both get their gray color and I think sparks could fly, they are the same genes.

Alphabet Soup does ok with Raise A Native line too, and he won't be around much longer at his age.

Neither will Holly Bull. He's showing his age.

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:17 pm

ct2346 wrote:Not sure exactly where you're located but I find Cetewayo interesting on paper for this mare.

Yeah, I thought about that--also thought about Temple City. Dynaformer has His Majesty on the dam line, plus this mare has a line to Bois Roussel, which has a STRONG affinity for Roberto.

FiftyYearsPlus
Weanling

Thanks for your ideas

Postby FiftyYearsPlus » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:54 pm

You've given me some interesting ideas to work with.
Horses 1) and 3) are exceptionally gifted. I was offered $150K for the first by a top West Coast trainer after his first start, and the second ran a 21 flat, 56 flat at Monmouth last year on a "good" turf course and her saddle slipped.
I keep thinking that the common denominator is Bold Ruler, since the first's sire is out of a Seattle Slew-Boldnesian-Bold Ruler mare, and the second's sire is out of a Secretariat-Bold Ruler mare.
Other than Nashua deep in her pedigree, she is free of any other Nearco influences.
Thank you again for your thoughts.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:21 pm

in general terms - I would look at somethiing with a couple of shots of Mr. P. I don't think that your mare has had anything with this world beater in the sire line? Give her a shot with the best.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.