CC Jazz

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

Jeff
Starters Handicap

CC Jazz

Postby Jeff » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:41 pm

http://www.pedigreequery.com/cc+jazz

Came across this mare recently, interesting breeding with the Caro line I think.

Nice looking mare, physically resembles Green Dancer in my opinion.

Was thinking of breeding her to Slewcious and maybe get a 2 year old runner.

Doesn't look like Caro line is a good nick on Seattle Slew from what I can find though.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun May 13, 2012 4:15 pm

Certainly the pedigree is interesting. However, even though she is from family 23-b, you might want to take an in depth look at her family and its serious lack of racing talent in the last three generations. What is it about this mare and her pedigree that convinces you she will throw a horse who can run?
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Mon May 14, 2012 12:03 pm

Thank You for asking Madelyn,

The mare obviously is from a sturdy family of horses, lots of starts, has a 1/2 brother with 47 starts, raced for 7 years. Didn't make much, looks like he might have been running in Oregon to have a 6-7-7 record and such poor earnings.

Looks like some speed and class is needed, but a 1/2 brother who ran for 7 years shows some promise, especially when Slewcious is bred much like the 1/2 brother's sire Tahoe City.

CC Jazz was kicked as a weanling, has an ugly blemish on her leg and was never raced, but she is a useful riding horse, regularly ridden by her owner on rides through the California mountains, so that speaks something of her physical and mental soundness to work.

The mare is nice looking, straight legs, good size, has the look of Green Dancer to me, and that's a plus beings he's one of the Great broodmare sires.

Her sire Battle Wise is a French bred horse, she's totally free of RAN, Mr. P, and her one cross to Northern Dancer is through Nijinsky and Green Dancer. All those French, British, Argentine bred ancestors, a great opportunity for an expression of genetics to come together with hybrid vigor to produce a race horse. One thing for sure, she's not inbred, her closest line breeding is 5x6 Beau Pere, 5x6 Vieux Manoir, and 5x6 Full Sail. Stout influences I think, begging for speed.

Also, having gone and looked at Bold Chieftain, by Chief Seattle, (Slewcious' 3/4 brother), and out of a Nijinsky line mare, I can about imagine that the resulting foal would have physical similarity to Bold Chieftain, and that's not a bad thing, to try and copy a millionaire.

Bold Chieftain's second dam was unraced too, looks like his 3rd dam did not do much either, though I see she produced a runner with 82 starts and not much money to show for it ($47,000), looks like he was running in Oregon too! Kind of reminds me of CC Jazz's 1/2 brother!!!!!

That family was lacking some speed and class, but when bred to Chief Seattle it produced a millionaire: Bold Chieftain.

I think CC Jazz bred to Chief Seattle's 3/4 brother who is a 1/2 brother to a world record speed horse might be just the ticket.

I'm about to talk myself into going over and picking up CC Jazz and hauling her to Slewcious, maybe next year, it's getting kind of late in the year, and 15 or 16 starts to win a million is more my aim, but I do find the Slewcious/CC Jazz cross an interesting one.

CC Jazz is a mare with a job, she's employed whether or not she produces a foal. To bad most thoroughbred mares don't have the luxury.

Best Regards
Jeff

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Mon May 14, 2012 7:15 pm

I see that Yankee Victor http://www.pedigreequery.com/yankee+victor

is out a Caro mare, looks just like the kind of female family that some would have been asking the owners of Highest Carol,

"you might want to take an in depth look at her family and its serious lack of racing talent in the last three generations. "

"What is it about this mare and her pedigree that convinces you she will throw a horse who can run?" But look, they produced a winner of over $800,000 in Yankee Victor.

Looks like Gotham City would be a nice match for CC Jazz also.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue May 15, 2012 6:19 am

Jeff wrote:I see that Yankee Victor http://www.pedigreequery.com/yankee+victor

is out a Caro mare, looks just like the kind of female family that some would have been asking the owners of Highest Carol,

"you might want to take an in depth look at her family and its serious lack of racing talent in the last three generations. "

No she is not. If you look at her dam, there are two pretty good siblings who earned six figures. Highest Carol is tail female to Myrtlewood. Comparing the female family of Highest Carol to the female family of C C Jazz is apples to oranges.
Last edited by madelyn on Wed May 16, 2012 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Tue May 15, 2012 11:46 am

I disagree, an unraced mare with a dam and second dam who made money in the teens is not the kind of black type family that is considered high racing class. The family of Myrtlewood is beside the point, I believe there are 10 or 11 1/2 siblings to Seattle Slew that nobody ever heard of to make that point, and I recall a son of Mr. P's full sister who used to stand in Washingon, enough said there.

Highest Carol's owners studied her, and knew her and knew she was worth taking a chance on breeding her to Saint Ballado, and it paid off.

Likewise, looking at CC Jazz and being around her, I think she'd be worth it to get a race horse foal out of her.

And since you'v never been around her or seen her, your opinion really lacks any forceful argument in my opinion Madelyn.

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Fri May 25, 2012 1:27 pm

After a Derby win and a Preakness win for family 23b, CC Jazz says kiss this once, kiss this twice and kiss it three times for the Belmont.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/ill+have+another2

[/img]

Hold Your Peace
Allowance Winner

Postby Hold Your Peace » Sat May 26, 2012 12:27 am

Jeff wrote:After a Derby win and a Preakness win for family 23b, CC Jazz says kiss this once, kiss this twice and kiss it three times for the Belmont.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/ill+have+another2

[/img]

Yeah I'm sure the phone is gonna be ringin off the hook with people chasing this mare who has about as much connection to the Derby winner as my hound dog.

Glad the mare has another job, but if you think this mare is a good prospect for producing a racehorse you're out of your mind.

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Sat May 26, 2012 2:24 am

Yeah, here you are taking the time to post about her; Kiss Kiss :P

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Sat May 26, 2012 5:43 pm

http://www.pedigreequery.com/domino

http://www.pedigreequery.com/winning+colors

Here's a couple more family 23b members of note; Domino, and Kentucky Derby's Winning Colors.

CC Jazz says KISS THISS, and what's that? Chocolate Cream Key Lime Pie on your lips?

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Mon May 28, 2012 4:24 pm

wait first you want to bred her now you want to sell her?

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Mon May 28, 2012 4:40 pm

I am inclined to disagree with your rebutal that your mares family can make another great winner. Lets look at facts.
1. Archs Gal Edith made 25,000 and made very successfull babies, Your family did not.
2. All Rainbows made 118,000 and made some sucessfull babies too . Yours did not.
3. Then if you would bring your mare to Joe Daehling, to bred to Gotham City , He would laugh at you. He really would. I know him very well.
4. The reason why I would dodge this bullet is, I can't find an success even near her. Not an mating sucess nothing. So why bred?
K

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Mon May 28, 2012 4:42 pm

Karenn, thankyou for expressing an interest in CC Jazz. Yes, it can be arranged that she be bred if you are interested in purchasing her in foal. :D

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Mon May 28, 2012 5:14 pm

I am not interested-- please re read what I wrote and you will see why

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Mon May 28, 2012 10:00 pm

That's great Karen,

You can't have her. :D Everybody's happy.