Stallion suggestions for Phone Trick mare

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

Mood Swings
Grade II Winner

Stallion suggestions for Phone Trick mare

Postby Mood Swings » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:52 am

I am considering sending my mare to Kentucky to be bred this year. If I had a lot of money to spend my first choice would be Speightstown. Unfortunately I do not have the $50k :cry:

I breed to sell and I don't want to spend more then $20k.

I have an opportunity to breed to Stormy Atlantic (who I love) on a foal share, however I am not thrilled with his yearling average and considering that I have to split the sales proceeds with the stallion owner, pay the inflated board prices for at least 45 days, shipping and only be listed as co-breeder...I'm not sure I find this so enticing anymore.

My mare is She Ain't Much, she has a stakes winner by Omega Code, a winner by Montbrook, a placed filly by Vibank (Silver Deputy), a yearling by Where's The Ring (a very nice filly) and a foal by Old Forester (very correct). Her progeny excell as sprinters.

Appreciate any thoughts.
"People come and go but horses leave hoofprints on your heart"

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:08 am

If there were a stallion by Gone West out of a Danzig mare I'd suggest that one but I can't think of one off the top of my head. Or, one who is inbred to Danzig because both of those lines would love more War Admiral which is up close in your mares pedigree. If I think of any I'll update this.

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Re: Stallion suggestions for Phone Trick mare

Postby kimberley mine » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:02 pm

Mood Swings wrote:I am considering sending my mare to Kentucky to be bred this year. If I had a lot of money to spend my first choice would be Speightstown. Unfortunately I do not have the $50k :cry:

Are you planning on selling the foal as an Ontario-bred? The $10-$15k range is commercially tricky; either you're looking at somebody unproven or horses where the 2yos might sell BIG but not the yearlings or at somebody who is high-end breed to race and you MIGHT get lucky at the sales.

Safe bet: go to Quiet American NOW while you can still get him.

Riskier bet: Roman Ruler is poised for a big upswing: after Rule and Homeboykris, he went from a tiny 4th crop of about 20 to a better crop of about 83, and last year he bred a hundred or so of much better mares. If Ruler on Ice and Rule continue to run well this year, and some of his other horses step it up you could get a nice one.

ak1
Allowance Winner

Postby ak1 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:17 pm

Include or Proud Citizen, Holy Bull...like Kimberly's idea of Quiet American too. How does she match up physically? Does she require a particular physical type?

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:19 pm

ak1 wrote:Include or Proud Citizen, Holy Bull...like Kimberly's idea of Quiet American too. How does she match up physically? Does she require a particular physical type?

Holy Bull's book is very light and tight due to his age. If she's not already booked and it's mid-April, I would pass on him.

Include is a great idea on paper...he has a stakes winner out of a Phone Trick mare and a Gr-1 winner out of a Mazel Trick mare. As a sire of racehorses, he's doing a great job. Stakes production is a little weak, but he gets good sound runners who make good money (see my reply on the post about a Take Me Out mare). Commercially he's at a crossroads, seems to have his star rising but how far is anybody's guess.

ak1
Allowance Winner

Postby ak1 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:05 pm

kimberley mine wrote:
ak1 wrote:Holy Bull's book is very light and tight due to his age. If she's not already booked and it's mid-April, I would pass on him.

This makes me sad ...I know it's realistic but love him and think his fillies are pretty special additions for a broodmare band. Physically is he doing well?

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:16 pm

ak1 wrote:
kimberley mine wrote:
ak1 wrote:Holy Bull's book is very light and tight due to his age. If she's not already booked and it's mid-April, I would pass on him.

This makes me sad ...I know it's realistic but love him and think his fillies are pretty special additions for a broodmare band. Physically is he doing well?

I have not heard of any health problems, just he's old.

Mood Swings
Grade II Winner

Re: Stallion suggestions for Phone Trick mare

Postby Mood Swings » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:59 am

kimberley mine wrote:
Mood Swings wrote:I am considering sending my mare to Kentucky to be bred this year. If I had a lot of money to spend my first choice would be Speightstown. Unfortunately I do not have the $50k :cry:

Are you planning on selling the foal as an Ontario-bred? The $10-$15k range is commercially tricky; either you're looking at somebody unproven or horses where the 2yos might sell BIG but not the yearlings or at somebody who is high-end breed to race and you MIGHT get lucky at the sales.

Safe bet: go to Quiet American NOW while you can still get him.

Riskier bet: Roman Ruler is poised for a big upswing: after Rule and Homeboykris, he went from a tiny 4th crop of about 20 to a better crop of about 83, and last year he bred a hundred or so of much better mares. If Ruler on Ice and Rule continue to run well this year, and some of his other horses step it up you could get a nice one.

In answer to your question - yes I will foal her in Ontario to have the foal as a registered Ontario-bred. But being by a KY stallion opens up my options as to where I can sell. I do like Roman Ruler and have seen a number of them, I am also a fan of his half brother. Quiet American is good one too, but with his age a lot of people will look the other way come sales time...

I considered Haynesfield and Courageous Cat was suggested to me as well. Include looks interesting and I see he is throwing speed.

Thanks for the suggestions thus far :)

Mood Swings
Grade II Winner

Postby Mood Swings » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:24 am

ak1 wrote:Include or Proud Citizen, Holy Bull...like Kimberly's idea of Quiet American too. How does she match up physically? Does she require a particular physical type?

I like that Proud Citizen has the Gone West sire line going for him, his yearling averages are not great, nor are Holy Bull's. Both are nice stallions though. I do like Include.

She is just 16hh, compact and correct. She throws a sprinter (so far that is true on paper) in physical appearance. I never saw the Montbrook filly but both of her Omega Codes are beefy sprinter types - like their sire. Her next two foals matured to the 16hh range (one of those is just a 2yr old) and they too have the look of sprinters. Her yearling is the tallest one she's had thus far and is by Where's The Ring (he's probably close to 16.2hh) and she still has the big engine that makes her look like a sprinter :)

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:01 am

Holy Bull has a fantastic lifetime starters to foal ratio and his sales average is not bad either! I had thoroughly researched him and if it were not for his age would have sent my mare to him.

With your mare producing some crack sprinters I'd still look at Danzig, in my humble opinion.

ak1
Allowance Winner

Postby ak1 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:58 pm

Looking at Danzig lines, Langfuhr, Belong to Me, and Partners Hero come to mind. Partners Hero would open up having a PA bred. Auction wise I think any of those will be best for two year olds in training. I thinks it would be rare to get a return at a yearling sale though Langfuhr certainly could intrigue at an Ontario sale.

If a second return of Clever Trick is not a turn off, perhaps Yes It's True?

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:26 pm

Take a look at MUNNINGS. He's by Speightstown out of a Holy Bull mare.

I've bred four mares to him--three in foal, one counting days. Very fertile.

This is a very handsome horse which sold at 2 for $1.7 million. He could run and Ashford may cut you a late season deal.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:42 pm

kimberley mine wrote:
ak1 wrote:
kimberley mine wrote:

I have not heard of any health problems, just he's old.

I saw him last fall, took a picture. Did not look good to me. He has injuries that make it hard for him to walk. Still at it though firing bullets and getting great care.

++++++++++++++

A couple that come to mind - War Front, Scatdaddy. Scatdaddy is just lighting it up and his fee will be solid for years, only will get better at the sales. War Front has Danzig going for him and also the MP cross through Fappiano which is all class - Claiborne will keep the sales value up. For a runner, my personal fave might be Lewis Michael - a ntr sprinter who could stretch out to classic distance. He's an A+ True Nick and you can get a season really to him very inexpensively. In Ontario, the turf abilities would be respected but he could run on anything.

Given that she is a Stakes producer, you may be able to work a deal even if the book is 'full'. If you find a stallion you really like, look up the season peddlers as there are some great deals out there.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:19 pm

Joltman wrote: Scatdaddy is just lighting it up and his fee will be solid for years, only will get better at the sales.

jm

I also thought Scat Daddy, although his listed fee is out of the OP's price range. If you can get to him within your budget, by all means do so.

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:29 pm

Scat Daddy is full, and when Ashford says a stallion is full , you can bet that means over 200 mares. I was lucky to get one bred to him this year but couldnt get another mare (1/2 to G1 SW) approved when I applied in February.