looking for help in stallion choice for

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

zinn21
3rd Year Sire

Postby zinn21 » Tue May 01, 2012 2:38 pm

I am now more concerned in choosing a stallion who will hopefully bring the right physical characteristics that will result in a good physical foal. So I would really study your mare's conformation. Ask for opinions. Is she refined? Coarse? weak behind? Narrow? etc. Then look at stallions who might correct weaknesses or enhance strengths. Look at pedigree to determine what sire lines have performed successfully on the track with her family . Then determine your budget and sire geographical area and decide who you want to breed to. I also like to look at foals by stallions I'm considering to see what they are producing.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Wed May 02, 2012 5:26 pm

we have similar ambitions; i.e., I'd like to loose the KY derby..

Two problems with that:

One, I don't think my mares are good enough to produce derby horses

two, I don't race most of them until they are 3 YOs.

As for stallions, my favorite is Scat Daddy but I don't think he's going to get a KY Oaks horse o/o either your mares. Besides his book is full for this year and I expect his fee will go through the roof next year

Good luck with your dream.

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Thu May 03, 2012 11:40 pm

Mini's Mom, I looked at the stallions at Adena Springs NY where Alphabet Soup stands, and see Silent Name, he looks like a great pedigree nick on both of your mares. Alphabet Soup certainly a nice sire though.

" Silent Name: Superb Miler: Silent Name won or placed in 6 one mile stakes, including 3 Grade 1's"

Fireslam
Allowance Winner

Postby Fireslam » Fri May 04, 2012 4:04 am

nm

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Fri May 04, 2012 5:52 am

bah

mini's mom
Allowance Winner

mating advice

Postby mini's mom » Fri May 04, 2012 9:15 am

I talked to the people who stand indian ocean & I am going to look at him - mass is closer than new york but I still have some time to decide

thanks

mini's mom
Allowance Winner

mating advice

Postby mini's mom » Sat May 05, 2012 7:21 am

giff:

I did not intend to breed any of my horses to Scat Daddy - he is a lovely horse but out of my price range -I have a potential client to buy into a filly share of his - Scat Daddy was never mentioned for any of my girls

I am not lucky enough to marry into or inherit money - I do it the old fashion way - I work for it -

I am not looking to breed a horse to run in the Derby but would love to run in the Oakes - if you don't know about that race it is for fillies and mares - just to get there would be a real thrill - Derby is to crazy and us little people can't compete with all the big guys - hope that clarifies the posting for you

mini's mom

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sat May 05, 2012 8:47 am

my take is if you are not able to compete with the big guys for a derby post you will also have a problem competing with the big guys for the Oaks. Same quality breeding required for both.

I would be very happy with either but right now what I' breeding for is soundness and the ability to stay ahead of the expenses.

It's a tuff game you are planning to enter and I wish you well. Many are called, few are chosen.

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]