Fly Till Dawn mare

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

MBFoley
Suckling

Fly Till Dawn mare

Postby MBFoley » Mon May 14, 2012 10:52 pm

My husband and I have a 17yr old daughter of Fly till Dawn out of an Ocean Bird mare. - Angel Till Dawn - http://www.pedigreequery.com/angel+till+dawn

Her dam was a black type winner who had 4 foals, 2 to race, both winners. One of which was a full sibling to our mare, the other is a black type winner. Our mare was unraced I believe due to a paddock injury before she entered training.

She has had 3 foals, 2 to race, 1 winner. The 7yr old was the winner and is about to re-enter training after being laid off for two years after a tendon injury and a brief failed attempt at standing stud on a qh farm (tough boy needs to have a couple of things amputated), the 5yr old retired in January after showing lots of speed in workouts but racing badly (coming off the track to me he had a sore back and crushed heels, with chiro work and a good farrier I have thought about putting him back into training but really want him as my riding horse and think he's more temperamentally suited to a life of leisure anyways) and the 3yr old is about 6 weeks out from his first race, I am unsure how well he's training but know his owner likes him. The two older boys are full brothers by Syncline, the younger is I think a 3/4 brother in blood, he's by Century City.

So we are mulling over whether or not to breed her and if we do, who to breed her to. It would be a breed to race not breed to sell. I would much prefer a hard knocking, sound horse than a speshul snowflake big name stallion. Any advice? I'm not 100% sure on breeding her for any more racehorse prospects so if the advice is "You'd be better off buying a race prospect" I'm ok with that, I want honest opinions, not coddling. I know we'll not be breeding for a Derby horse or anything but a horse for me to train and race myself (I'm working towards my trainer's license). Sound and healthy are my main concerns and, unless it gets claimed from me, the resulting foal with have a lifetime home with us regardless of how it performs assuming it even does make it to the track.

Lay it on me :)

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Tue May 15, 2012 5:35 am

"You'd be better off buying a race prospect"

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Tue May 15, 2012 7:24 am

Yes, you may well be better off picking up any of many inexpensive race-bred mares, but given your affinity for this one, it's certainly not necessarily a lost cause.

The Herbager top line is known for stamina, and given the size of the mare, a steeplechase./ distance horse might be one to go for. Fly til Dawn won the marathon San Juan Capistrano. There is no Mr Prospector blood and the only ND is by one of his lesser known (less successful) sons Tarleton Oak. Sea Bird's son Little Current also won the Belmont. Ocean Bird seems to contribute little to the discussion though. So there is the potential for a lot of stamina here and a need for some speed.

Many horses bred for distance would never receive the type of training to ever have a chance to succeed. They just don't run many races over a mile and an eighth and trainers avoid horses without speed.

One of the those 'high cruising speed' stallions with good size would seem to be the right match. Syncline, while he had a great pedigree, just didn't have enough race aptitude to make an impact and attract a strong book of mares, although he had a couple of SWs.

what state are you in?

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

MBFoley
Suckling

Postby MBFoley » Tue May 15, 2012 7:49 am

Thanks! We are in Kentucky, the horses specifically are in Midway. Angel is a big, thick strong mare with good conformation. Her only real fault is less than perfect hooves, they tend toward dry and she had issues with abcesses when she was younger, I don't know how the feet are on the other two boys but Kid also tends towards dry, brittle feet. My husband bought her as a youngster intending to race her then gave her to his brother to breed. He got the three colts out of her and we took the middle colt, Kid Rocker, and her in February. Now we are trying to decide whether to breed her for a racehorse, for a riding horse or put her back in training and just enjoy her as a pasture ornament/trail horse for the rest of her years.

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Tue May 15, 2012 12:33 pm

http://www.pedigreequery.com/big+unit

I like Big Unit, 1/2 to Flame Thrower, reasonable stud fee, and Angel Till Dawn returns Herbager and Mahmoud, I think it will work.

If your goal is to raise and train the foal to race yourself, my opinion could get one heck of a nice runner from the mating.

Good Luck. :)

MBFoley
Suckling

Postby MBFoley » Tue May 15, 2012 1:03 pm

Thanks Jeff, I will check him out.

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Tue May 15, 2012 2:45 pm

Hi Michelle,

Edited

MBFoley
Suckling

Postby MBFoley » Tue May 15, 2012 2:55 pm

Barcaldine,

You gave your opinion (thank you) and they have given theirs. Opinions are what I asked for and I appreciate all opinions. I will take those opinions, research the hell out of them, discuss them with my husband and then make a decision. I'm not going to just blindly follow ANYONE'S advice, let alone some stranger off the internet who I don't know from adam but I do appreciate feedback from all as you can never learn from advice you refuse to hear.

I may have just joined and started posting but I've been reading for a while and am well aware of some instances of drama and I would rather not be involved in it at least not yet please.

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Tue May 15, 2012 2:57 pm

Good luck to you.

ak1
Allowance Winner

Postby ak1 » Tue May 15, 2012 5:51 pm

Off the top of my head, I would look at established stallions in your chosen stud fee who have a proven record of siring horses earning a check. Elementary right?

Having seen your pics on ravelry, she is lovely and you've seen enough of her family to have some idea of what you are likely to get and what you need to work around. Good luck! AK

Edit...Smoke Glacken. Orientate. Belong to Me (still standing this year?), Pollards Vision, Yes It's True.
Last edited by ak1 on Tue May 15, 2012 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MBFoley
Suckling

Postby MBFoley » Tue May 15, 2012 6:15 pm

Ooh fellow ravelry person *waves*

Yes, thus far that's what I've been doing is basic research and culling of stallions I am certain are not what we would want to breed to if we do decide to breed her (and I am thinking for next year, we will likely not breed this year if we decide to breed next year given it's May already). I thought maybe someone might be able to nudge me towards what I should consider in a stallion or certain lines, etc. :)

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Tue May 15, 2012 6:26 pm

Who's nudging you ?!?! LOL

MBFoley
Suckling

Postby MBFoley » Tue May 15, 2012 6:33 pm

I've gotten a few nudges ;)

Thanks AK for the edited suggestions, much appreciated :)

hpkingjr

Canadian Frontier

Postby hpkingjr » Wed May 16, 2012 6:22 am

Have you considered Canadian Frontier?

http://www.pedigreequery.com/index.php? ... lor=000000
Give the Pope and the King of England a horse and in thirty days, they'll be stealing halters.

MBFoley
Suckling

Postby MBFoley » Wed May 16, 2012 10:56 am

Is he in KY now? Stallion Register has him in LA. I do like him though.