Suggestions for mare...INjury cut short career

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

doublete
Allowance Winner

Suggestions for mare...INjury cut short career

Postby doublete » Tue May 15, 2012 12:41 pm

I have a mare River Blades, that just recently injured herself. We need to find her a stallion to breed to race and get it done asap.

Can someone give me some bloodlines to look at?
Racing and retraining.

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Tue May 15, 2012 2:03 pm

I like Rock Hard Ten, his best runner is a graded stakes winner out of a Red God line mare.

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Tue May 15, 2012 2:41 pm

Hi Doublete,

IMO your mare is worth breeding from.

CHEROKEE RUN is not a dynamic broodmare sire, but his daughter's best get is RATTLESNAKE BRIDGE. He is a son of TAPIT. While there are no sons of TAPIT or his sire, PULPIT, in Maryland, there is a new horse by A. P. INDY which I think is great value: FRIESAN FIRE. He was a top-class 3yo, started favorite in the Kentucky Derby, and is out of a first-rate Australian mare.

He stands for $4,000 at Merryland Farm, and Im sure they would cut you a good deal.

It's a good mating on paper but like with all matings, the participants must also be a good physical match, too.

Good luck.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Tue May 15, 2012 3:09 pm

Take a look at Bittel Road. he's a good looking 17 hh Stormy Atlantic son with no Mr P and is a complete out-cross with your mare.

I like him a lot and have 3 mares booked to him.

"Special Consideration" to approved mares

Could be WVSIRED and PABRE which carries a lot of perks.

google NayLee Farm, and, of course you can find his pedigree on this site.

griff

PS: Has a pretty good race record also.
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Tue May 15, 2012 3:22 pm

griff is right. Bittel Road is a very good looking horse. I looked at him last summer to buy. The only thing that turned me off was that he was lightly raced and appeared to have soundness issues. Also, he was strictly a turf performer and, as I recall, was a deep closer.

doublete
Allowance Winner

Postby doublete » Tue May 15, 2012 6:39 pm

She only has a C nick with Friesian Fire.
Her highest Nicks are with City Zip, Langhfur, and Run Away and Hide. (son of City Zip).
There doesn't seem to much in the mid atlantic region worth breeding her to.
Racing and retraining.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Tue May 15, 2012 6:45 pm

Bittel Road

race record 11/4/1/0 with app 330k in winnings

a lot of turf but did win Monarch Maze stakes, one mile on dirt, positions in 6 horse field were 4/3/1/2/1/1

won 6 furlong MSW with track postions 3/1/1/1/1/1

did not know about any soundness issues. Does have a modified Storm cat disposition but I like a horse with an attitude.

NayLee also has a Giants Causeway stallion named Global Force that did have soundness issues.

Vinemiester who started 66 times and retired sound. He's also a very good looking stallion and throws very good looking foals.

Garnered by Holy Bull who beat Speightstown after his jockey lost his whip in the turn to home. He has a really nice long hip.

Gunnerside is a son of Seattle slew o/o a Relaunch mare. No crosses to Native Dancer

Prospect Bay who was the fastest horse in NA in 1996. age 20 but one of the most fertile stallions at the farm

Stored o/o Safely Kept

Civilisation who I believe is one of the two Toussaud stallions left in the country.

others

griff

doublete
Allowance Winner

Postby doublete » Tue May 15, 2012 6:54 pm

The only one she matches with at Naylee is Country Only.
Racing and retraining.

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Tue May 15, 2012 7:12 pm

When you say Country Only is the only stallions which matches up with her, are you referring to the Bogus nick ratings? They will misguide you 9/10 times.

Bittel Road won only one race on dirt, the others (and his placings) were on turf.

Here's the chart to his Grade 3 stakes win:
http://equibase.com/premium/eqbPDFChart ... USA&race=7

FRIESEN FIRE is likely the most talented racehorse standing in Maryland. None of the others mentioned here get close to his quality, on the track on by pedigree.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Tue May 15, 2012 8:45 pm

He's getting some very nice foals. I have a mare that will deliver a Country Only in two weeks or so.

griff

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Postby KBEquine » Wed May 16, 2012 6:21 pm

If you are looking for a Pulpit son in the area, consider Ecclesiastic, a half brother to War Front, who I THINK is still in Pennsylvania. He does put nice-looking foals on the ground (although if you want to avoid turf, he might not fit your needs).

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Thu May 17, 2012 12:09 pm

doublet

I looked your horse up and she appears to be a sprinter, and you may want to look at Prospect Bay who was the fastest horse in NA in 1996.

He was in KY but did not make the cut; however, he has done well as a regional stallion.. Last time I looked his starter/winner % was better than the top stallions in KY. Granted his get are not running @ CD but if I had a Giants Causeway that could not make the cut at CD I think I'd send it to some of the regional tracks were PB get do well, rather than let it be one of the +/- 40% that never win a race.

He's around 20 years old but is very fertile. And I believe, for some reason, his owner is going to retire him after this season.

I have a 2012 colt by PB o/o my Cryptoclearance mare and Legitimada who started 64 times and retired sound is in-foal to him for 2013. Also taking a half sister to a stakes horse to PB later this month.

griff

doublete
Allowance Winner

Postby doublete » Sun May 20, 2012 7:57 pm

Thanks everyone for the ideas. She is booked and in Kentucky now.
Racing and retraining.

BargainBlueblood
Starters Handicap

Postby BargainBlueblood » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:45 pm

Who'd you book her to? (No fun to leave us all in suspense after so much back and forth!) :)
Michael Slezak
Bargain Blueblood
[email protected]
917.455.0693 (cell)

doublete
Allowance Winner

Postby doublete » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:13 pm

I sent her to langfhur but we were unable to get her in foal due to her being on bute and retiring so abruptly. She is now booked for 2013 to concord point after getting her as comfortable as possible and letting her fatten up.
Racing and retraining.