Breeding Tb to Qh for racing?

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

Diane

Breeding Tb to Qh for racing?

Postby Diane » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:42 am

Looking at another post on buying/selling brought it to my attention that Imperatrice was the 4th dam of Dash For Cash, the QH equivalent of Storm Cat.
Has anyone here bred their Tb mare to QH for racing? How do you decide? Do you choose a mare who produces good 4f horses or do you choose by conformational matchup? Or?

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Postby KBEquine » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:31 am

Actually, we have a TB mare whose first 2 furlongs in her MSW win were faster than the first 2 furlongs in a number of G1 sprints. She got nervous & flipped her palate, so her then-owners had surgery done (after which she became a bad bleeder). We think the filly's need-to-please & training style caused the 1st problem & surgery the second, so probably not inheritable (except the pleaser personality).

She may go to a QH stallion. We hold back because there is no QH racing in Pennsylvania - or anywhere close enough to race a foal ourselves.

Having chosen the mare, we would probably go with a stallion who is compatible on conformation.

I actually had the stallion picked for the Dash For Cash daughter, before I lost interest - As you say, she is the equivalent of a Storm Cat daughter & since we don't have local QH racing, I don't want to find out she's priced above budget (especially since at that point, I would probably have had to enlist a friend to interpret because my French used to be better than it is now & I don't want to waste anyone's time).

As a point of additional information, Keen On Kash has a 3/4 sister (by Dash For Cash's son First Down Dash) who in the QH world is graded stakes-performing & producing, as well as several other graded-stakes performing half-sibs. Keen On Kash herself produced blacktype on the cover of a stallion of 3/4 QH blood (although the sireline is to Raise A Native).

BUT you asked for people with experience, which clearly isn't me. I hope you get more/better answers. (And don't get the post suggesting this thread be moved to a non-TB site.)

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:32 pm

lot's of TB mares are bought for that purpose by QH breeders.In the early years QH breeders like the King ranch did infuse a lot of TB in their quarters,then it went out of style,but in the past 10 years it has come back in force>For fun consult the big quarter horse sales catalog like Heritage Place Sales.By the way KB you can call Patrick at 450-835-4273 I called for price,he is asking $1800. for the mare you can probably negociate somewhat,he speaks very little english,he had her checked by the vet who said she is fertile.My farm is about 3 hours away from his,so I have not seen the mare,he says she needs weight. I don't get any money in that deal,I am not an agent,I know Patrick only because I helped him professionaly in a legal matter before.He is in my opinion a very honest man but his knowledge of racing or breeding is limited. Hopefully someone will buy that mare for breeding because he had so much trouble with horse people taking him for rides that he is talking of putting all his horses down,and he has some really nice ones,that would be sad as the business will now lose another new player.Thank you.
The sport and industry survive not only because of the champions that are remembered forever but also because of the losers that are so easy to forget...

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:18 pm

http://www.pedigreequery.com/tennessee+wind

Tennessee Wind by Nashville was quite the TB producer of AQHA runners, dam of a G-1 Kansas Futurity winner.

Must be that close up Ariel.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:49 am

So was Three Bars and Rocket Bars

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:15 pm

griff wrote:So was Three Bars and Rocket Bars

griff

Lenas Bar by Three Bars was probably the ultimate TB dam of AQHA runners.

My wife had a grandson of Jet Smooth when I married her, exquisite horse.

Horse Color Sex Year Sire Dam Breed
DELTA ROSE ch M 1964 TONTO BARS HANK LENAS BAR QUARTER HORSE Edit
DOUBLE DANCER3 ch H 1963 DOUBLE BID LENAS BAR QUARTER HORSE Edit
EASY JET sor H 1967 JET DECK LENAS BAR QUARTER HORSE Edit
JET SMOOTH ch H 1965 JET DECK LENAS BAR QUARTER HORSE Edit
MAYFLOWER ANN2 sor M 1966 TONTO BARS HANK LENAS BAR QUARTER HORSE Edit
PRIDE N JOY4 b M 1968 TONTO BARS HANK LENAS BAR QUARTER HORSE Edit