Thoroughbred Stallions of Quarter Runners

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Thoroughbred Stallions of Quarter Runners

Postby Jeff » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:56 am

Apollo TB by Falstaff is a pretty well known sire of good AQHA runners when mated to AQHA mares, can anybody think of some other famous TB sires of AQHA runners?

Three Bars of course, we all know of him, the most famous :wink:

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:59 am

Have any of you ever mated yoUR AQHA mare to a TB stallion? :D

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:28 am

Three Bars was a TB..
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:02 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Jeff on Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zinn21
3rd Year Sire

Postby zinn21 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:27 pm

Vikingson...

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:02 pm

well then.. :shock:

I have only seen QH's bred to other QH mares with a touch of TB in their pedigree to create more of a fancy hunt horse, but Joe Nevills of the TB Times has a lot more knowledge about this and would be able to answer your questions about QH/TB breeding for race.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:58 pm

Interestingly, Crystal, I have come across "full" QH mares who were 7/8 TB but earned their blue papers through ROM points. Of course they were racing QH's and got their ROM points racing. I thought it was interesting that the QH stud book is still "open" to Appendix horses earning full QH registration through ROM points.

Barcaldine, thanks I can fend for myself. Appreciate the gallantry though. Jeff has had something under his skin about me, I think, since we disagreed about his mare.

He asked a question so starkly and simply worded that I answered in kind..

I would like to offer a gentle reminder that there is suppressed fury brooding over in the Mods discussion area and we simply MUST be nice out here in queryworld.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:31 pm

good info Madelyn. I'm not as experienced in the QH/TB field much beyond seeing a couple of races and seeing the pedigrees of a lot of the stock at farms like GumZ Farm. I used to field a few calls at the stud farm from QH, paint, and Arab breeders about what type of stud horses we had on the farm. We'd comp a few breedings each year for other breed-breeders. I don't think they added up to much on the track but I've never really looked into it.

Linda_d
Starters Handicap

Postby Linda_d » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:59 pm

Some of the most prominent TB sires of AQHA runners since 1940 included...
Depth Charge
Top Deck
Rocket Bar
Anchor Watch
Azure Te
Beduino

There are many more recent ones that I can't think of off the top of my head ...
"you cannot be brilliant if you cannot run" -- bdw0617

fastappy
Starters Handicap

Thoroughbred Influence on the Quarters

Postby fastappy » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:14 am

Aforethought (Intentionally) was the sire of Champion "Time To Think Rich" who sire the great mare "Denim and Diamonds" (owned by R.D. Hubbard).

Nohome II produced Champion "The Signature" who produced Champion "Sig Hanson"

Murr the Blurr (Torsion) produced many AQHA champions

Bold Ego, grandson of Bold Ruler also sired many AQHA champions.

Top Deck produced the great "Go Man Go" (1953)

And of course the great "Special Effort" by Raise Your Glass (Raise A Native) o/o Go Effortlessly by Double Devil was 7/8 T.B. and was purchased for an unheard of $1,000,000 by Dan & Jolene Urshel back in 1981! He was later syndicated for 15 million. One loss in 14 starts, with wins in the All American Futurity, Kansas Derby, etc.

I believe Special Effort became a catalyst Thoroughbred sires crossing on racing Quarters in the 80's and 90's. Three Bars has had the greatest influence on the Quarters in every aspect of performance, pre-dating (1940) many of the other influential T.B. sires and is in the A.Q.H.A. Hall of Fame.
"He's by Damon Runyon out of a Don Rickles mare," Actor Jack Klugman

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:00 pm

LNatural sired a great AQHA runner and sire in Raise A Secret. And also, I thought the LNatural horses thoroughbred or AQHA were the most strikingly beautiful horses I ever saw. Much Fine Gold by LNatural, just loved the horse, the look the name.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:49 am

Is it still possible to get Storm Cat's frozen semen? I read somewhere that the QH guys could still tap the blood line....

I would think that with the increased emphasis on early speed in TB breeding that has taken place in the past decades that there would be demand for a lot of TB stallions esp. in the West.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:04 pm

Jolt- There is and from what I remember Harris Farms had two stallions that they were offering for shipped semen for Qh mares four years ago. With Stormy Jack hopefully being sold at auction and Singletary gone to Davis, I don't know if they still do it or not.

fastappy
Starters Handicap

Postby fastappy » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:10 am

karenkarenn wrote:Jolt- There is and from what I remember Harris Farms had two stallions that they were offering for shipped semen for Qh mares four years ago. With Stormy Jack hopefully being sold at auction and Singletary gone to Davis, I don't know if they still do it or not.

Hey KarenKaren, I missed the information about the Harris Farms stallions. Do you have a link or did the farm tell you?
"He's by Damon Runyon out of a Don Rickles mare," Actor Jack Klugman

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:40 am

Dave McGlothlin said so. I contacted him a whle ago when I noticed on their site that Jack and SIngeltary where gone.