Stallions for a City Zip mare

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

IcouldbeU
Maiden Special Weight

Stallions for a City Zip mare

Postby IcouldbeU » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:12 am

The plan is to purchase a City Zip mare this fall and would like to stay on the east coast and stud fee under $15,000. No specific mare in mind at the moment so cannot include any information on the dam side yet.

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:31 am

IMO you're asking for a quick answer to a semi-complicated question.

Choosing the right stallion entails a lot more work than picking a horse you like. Sire lines, dam lines, conformation, temperament, soundness, marketability, fertility, farm and vet care, proximity, price, etc., should all be evaluated.

Once you've bought the mare and can fill in some of these blanks the mating game becomes more meaningful.

IcouldbeU
Maiden Special Weight

Postby IcouldbeU » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:45 am

I have it narrowed down to 2 mares. Currently I do not want to list their pedigrees here. Honestly I all want to know is does City Zip nick with anyone or should I just pick the one I like the best of the 25 that I narrowed it down to?

Back in the old days it was easy ND with Mr.P and you were set.

Both mares that I am considering earned over 100K, are halves to stakes horses and also have a full sibling stakes horse. Both are 16-16'1, retired sound and medium bone.

Its only as complicated as you want to make it. This is my fun retirement gamble and I can sell or race the foal myself. Farm, vet care, proximity are all moot points.

Thanks

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:22 pm

IcouldbeU wrote:I have it narrowed down to 2 mares. Currently I do not want to list their pedigrees here. Honestly I all want to know is does City Zip nick with anyone or should I just pick the one I like the best of the 25 that I narrowed it down to?

Barcaldine is right, it does help to know the mare and her family. It would also help to know what state you live in, whether you want to get into a statebred program, what is your budget, and what kind of racehorse you are interested in breeding. Turf runner? Sprinter? One that will have the potential to be a show horse after?

PURELY on paper I would look for a stallion with Alydar or Turkoman for a broodmare sire, as breeding Mr Prospector + Relaunch + Alydar has been pretty successful, especially in California with Benchmark and Turkoman mares. Gr-1 winners Bullsbay and Brother Derek are bred on this cross, for example.

As sires of good-value racehorses with Alydar close up, you can't go wrong with either Outflanker or Lion Hearted, both in Maryland, especially if you want a MD-sired, PA or WV bred. You can also send the foal to Delaware to be boarded or broke and get DE-certified, increasing your opportunities to make money. If you're willing to spend a bit more money and go with an unproven stallion, Colonel John might work.

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:35 pm

"Honestly I all want to know is does City Zip nick with anyone or should I just pick the one I like the best of the 25 that I narrowed it down to? "

True Nicks will sell you this answer for $250 or so. Keep in mind that as a relatively young stallion CITY ZIP won't have many daughters in production. So, even if True Nicks' methodology made sense on other levels (which IMO it doesnt), the small sampling size makes their recommendation worth about $250 or so less than what they will charge you.

You dont sound like you care too much about making an informed mating decision so I suggest you just close your eyes, open the stallion register, flip the pages and pick your selection with enthusiasm.

Good luck.

IcouldbeU
Maiden Special Weight

Postby IcouldbeU » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:52 pm

Thank you Kimberly Mine..that is the kind of information that I am looking for.

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:06 pm

Spring at Last a new sire getting good runners and cheap right now @ $7,500 in Kentucky with Winstar Farm.

Nicks good with Mr P line with A+.

Had the G1 Alcibides winner in his first crop currently ranked #1 first season sire.

If your looking for a reasonable gamble look no further....
Edited by Moderator

bayrabicano
Allowance Winner

Postby bayrabicano » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:41 am

Enicks offers MareMatch for free...

http://www.werkhorse.com/

It allows you to select the price range and the location.

I find it fun and interesting and have no complaints whatsoever about the price.
"The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it."
- Michelangelo

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:00 pm

http://www.pedigreequery.com/city+zip

With his daughter's all having Mr P/Carson City/Blushing Groom/ Tom Fool on the top of their pedigree, they are excellent candidates to go to a Halo line stallion.

Or an Afleet Alex mare with that double Tom Fool on the top of the pedigree; another excellent choice to take to a Halo line stallion.

Jeff

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:37 pm

http://www.pedigreequery.com/comeonmom

Here's a Halo already packin. New York stallion, if that's what you mean by 'east coast'.

I see in the pedigree query his last offspring are listed as 2009. Hopefully he's still around.

Jeff

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:31 pm

http://www.pedigreequery.com/silent+name

Found another Halo in NY, this one by Sunday Silence, look at the pedigree of his #1 earner.

Here's a CZ daughter to Silent Name
http://www.pedigreequery.com/index.php? ... lor=000000

Graded stakes winning pedigree :D

Jeff

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:47 pm

Do you mean Silent Name that is going to be in CANADA next breeding season for 2013 JEFF?

Jeff- you really need to get your facts straight.

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:40 pm

IcouldbeU,

Any CZ mare you obtain that has over 100K in earnings has a good chance of being a good broodmare.

I'm partial to Halo lines over the Mr. P/Blushing groom/Red God, but if you can't
find a suitable Halo line, good luck with your selection, there are a lot of nice stallions out there for under 15K.

Jeff

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:18 pm

http://www.adenastallions.com/stallions ... ilent_Name

Looks like a move up going to Adena Springs. He really is a nice stallion, an excellent choice for a City Zipper mare. Looks like he's still quite accessible to a New York or PA mare, just across the border in Ontario.

Jeff

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:24 pm

May be you like the city zip mares but a horse has 2 parents so do not overlook the dam side...
The sport and industry survive not only because of the champions that are remembered forever but also because of the losers that are so easy to forget...